ADVERTISEMENT

SEC v. Big 1G -What's best for Clemson

cbourge

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
When expansion /realignment first started to happen a few years ago, my hope was always that Clemson would end up in the SEC. I grew up in SEC country and my immediate family members include grads from LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn, George, and Florida. Besides that, we have great natural rivalries with UGA, Scar, and Auburn. And our games against the other SEC opponents have always been great to watch as a college football fan. And because of my family ties, when I’m not watching Clemson, I’m usually watching other SEC teams as opposed to other non-Clemson/non-SECteams. So, when word leaked out a few weeks ago that Clemson may go to the Big 1G, who I despise, I was pretty disappointed. However, the more I think about it, I feel like a move to Big 1G May be better for our program long term:

1. We will get more money in the Big 1G than our rival SEC teams.

2. Historically, program wise, we are on par with the top 10-12 SEC football powers. So many schools in the SEC have a rich, proud football tradition that include recent national championships. However, in Big 1G, I think we would be in the top 4-5 , with OSU, UM, USC and then Clem/FSU ahead of PSU.

3. We would have much easier time competing against the Big 1G programs, with our southern recruits, than we would against SEC teams on a week to week basis. So many of the teams we would play in Big 1G (Indiana, NW, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland ) etc are no better than anyone we would play in ACC. As a matter of fact, I always thought the ACC didn't get the respect it deserved and that the ACC footbll teams were just as good if not better than most of the Big 1G teams. ACC PR and media just sucks.

4. Big 1G is truly becoming national. Our conference games would generate true interest across the country and we would continue to recruit national. We would also have the advantage of being 1 of 2-3 teams in Big 1G from the South and would have access to better recruits who may want to play outside of this southern SEC regional conference. We may also be able to lure some northern recruits to come to warmer climate for college with then knowing they would play some games closer to home untraditional Big 1G country.

5. Recruiting in the SEC is dirty and I believe it would be harder to have sustained recruiting success against the Bamas, Auburns, Georgias etc unless we are at the very top of the standings in the new SEC in a given year. I think we could end up becoming a true stand alone Southern Power being in the Big 1G - just much easier doing so than in the SEC.

6. Finally, I see Clemson being able to “grow” more as a program in thr Big 1G than we would in the SEC. The non-ESPN Networks seem to have their hands in creating this new football division to respond to the SEC and ESPNs prior control over the sport. ESPN looks like they are somewhat a sinking ship and the other networks are all working together to pump up these other non SEC programs. The media love fest for OSU and UM and USC has just been over the top the last couple of years. Now, its clear what FOX was doing to build up USC and UM (as OSU was already relevant0. Clemson and FSU go into the Big 1G - I wouldn't be surprised to suddently see Joel Klatt being a huge hype man/mouth piece for Clemson and FSU and they woud help in taking our program to next level more so than SEC would IMO.

So all that said - my question is not what conference do you want Clemson to land in. But what conference out of the two do you think is best for Clemson’s program long term.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News