ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Class Beach trip and now COVID-19

I understand a senior group all went on a beach trip and now a high percentage have tested positive for COVID-19.
Can not imagine how many individuals 4 house fulls of recent graduates came into contact with before realizing they could be spreading the virus
With all of the warnings and social distancing I am surprised these parents would arrange to rent 4 houses for a large group to go together. I realize recent grads feel they can walk on water but somewhere in this parenting education should prevail
I totally agree. Unfortunately half of this board would have gone with them or paid for it.

Our testing in SC dropped in half in the last week and cases went up 40%

That shocked me
Testing dropped because fewer people have respiratory illnesses. Flu and cold season is over and even spring allergy symptoms have settled for many. Tests are very widely available. There are fewer people who need to be tested.

Their lives are disrupted. People had to move out of their house. She has brought the threat of a serious illness into her home and to her family, along with all its attendant stress.

And multiply this by dozens from one incident.

it doesn’t sound like a big deal. Are you going to the grocery store? Going out to eat? Visiting with friends? Etc? Cause if so you’re taking the same risks.

Some of you...my goodness. People are going to contract this virus, and it’s not the boogeyman we once thought. I’m not saying it’s nothing, but to act like these kids did something insanely irresponsible is laughable.

As the parent of an 18 year old (recently graduated) 'child' who is currently at the beach staying in a house full of kids ...

I guess you are right OP. He should be sitting in his locked room right now wearing a mask, bathing in hand sanitizer and waiting for an antivirus to be developed.

He could spend that time reminiscing about his two-thirds of a Senior Year and one-third of a final baseball season while watching riots on TV.

I'll snapchat him now and tell him it's time to come home.
I just wanted you to know I absolutely agree 100% with you. My wife and I have a 21 year old daughter who works every day all day, goes to see her boyfriend most every evening, comes home and lives a normal life. This “virus” nonsense has brainwashed a lot of society that aren’t in the streets burning buildings down and looting. Does it exist? Yes. Is it anything the despicable, evil, sheep main stream media says? LOL not a chance!! Perception is now reality. And some cannot and will not see because they suck in everything their “media” tells them. My 74 year old uncle and his wife whom I care deeply for are in this group sadly. My wife, me, her boyfriend and our daughter all went to a local Dragway last night. At least a thousand people showed up. The lines were really long getting in. But once we did for about 3 hours I saw what once was. America. Black, white, Hispanic etc. all together, all in the same place but as civil as any place you could ever be. I raced 3 times and almost everyone racing owned cars that were extremely nice and very expensive. For a moment life was what it once was. There are people who aren’t mind controlled by the media. In places this is still America. See Seattle, Washington at the moment. That by any definition, is an act of war. Parts of a major US city have literally been seized and signs have been placed stating “you are now leaving America.” How in creation this is allowed to happen by those who still have a brain is beyond me. But my point is there are still many good places thankfully. Thank you for the post. There are still many good people who can think rationally.

Reactions: NotLarryWilliams
If there are a large group of teens showing symptoms there will be possible damage to their lungs..

That's the thing about this versus the flu. This thing can cause some serious lung damage even in young people..
I asked this before but never got an answer...what exactly is "lung damage", and more importantly, why does it matter?

As long as air goes in and out, who cares if there's damage?

It should make sense in any society at any time. The idea that other people should have to protect me from my self is asinine. It is not up to the rest of the world to protect me if I am capable of doing it for myself and choose not to. If you can't grasp that concept or disagree with it there is something inherently wrong with you.
OK, so I guess it's no problem at all to send kids to school that are sick because it's everyone else's responsibility to make sure their kid doesn't contract the virus. Or, don't worry about people driving while impaired...you have mad driving skills and can avoid them. Or, it's no problem for a server to roll in to work sick and put his/her hands all over your drink...your immune system is good. Or, how about that neighbor who is burning stuff right on the property line with wind blowing...no problem, it's your responsibility to have your hose ready. You're probably that guy who won't wear a seat belt because they can't tell you what to do.

With all due respect, this is an idiotic question. Do better, please.

73da7f1c-468f-4744-8be6-c55ba122a7c6_text.gif

Reactions: gooddogjudge
All the guys, who were going to the beach had to do, is claim that they are at a beach protest, then Covid will stay away.

Like tomorrows protest at Clemson, since it’s a protest there won’t be any Covid there either? This is getting old.

This is the smartest virus that mankind has ever discovered. It knows to leave us alone when we are protesting police violence, or to infect the hell out of us if we’re protesting the lockdown. It will also knows who wins the next election. If Trump wins then it will continue to infect people for the next four years. If Biden gets elected it will mysteriously go away.

This is truly the most intelligent virus that we have ever seen.

IN TERMS OF COVID, the model was not saving lives. The same number of people below the curve were going to die it just extended the amount of time as to which those lives were lost.

That is not even debatable.
It is 100% debatable. If the hospitals are overrun, and you have people stacked in hallways with no ability to treat them all, people die that probably would not have died if they had enough staff and equipment. If you can't see that, you're blind.

Reactions: BigTig1983
it doesn’t sound like a big deal. Are you going to the grocery store? Going out to eat? Visiting with friends? Etc? Cause if so you’re taking the same risks.

Some of you...my goodness. People are going to contract this virus, and it’s not the boogeyman we once thought. I’m not saying it’s nothing, but to act like these kids did something insanely irresponsible is laughable.
You missed the entire point: It's the parents who were irresponsible. Instead of acting like adults, they acted like teenagers.

As the parent of an 18 year old (recently graduated) 'child' who is currently at the beach staying in a house full of kids ...

I guess you are right OP. He should be sitting in his locked room right now wearing a mask, bathing in hand sanitizer and waiting for an antivirus to be developed.

He could spend that time reminiscing about his two-thirds of a Senior Year and one-third of a final baseball season while watching riots on TV.

Leader in the clubhouse for post of the year!!!

Reactions: TM2013
If there are a large group of teens showing symptoms there will be possible damage to their lungs..

That's the thing about this versus the flu. This thing can cause some serious lung damage even in young people..
Strange that smokers aren’t affected much.

OK, so I guess it's no problem at all to send kids to school that are sick because it's everyone else's responsibility to make sure their kid doesn't contract the virus. Or, don't worry about people driving while impaired...you have mad driving skills and can avoid them. Or, it's no problem for a server to roll in to work sick and put his/her hands all over your drink...your immune system is good. Or, how about that neighbor who is burning stuff right on the property line with wind blowing...no problem, it's your responsibility to have your hose ready. You're probably that guy who won't wear a seat belt because they can't tell you what to do.

I do wear a seat belt. That is an example of me taking responsibility for myself - for those who have trouble with reading comprehension. Yes, I have sent both of my children to school with colds, but tell them not to cough or sneeze on others in an attempt to minimize spreading germs. Worst case scenario here is that another student gets a cold. This is likely the worst case scenario with covid for most teens in good health as well. That is different than sending my kid who may have covid to a nursing home and telling them to run through all the rooms and lick the the old people. That would be similar to most of your examples, which are ridiculous.

Strange that smokers aren’t affected much.
And you know this, how? There is a pretty high percentage of smokers in Italy that would probably disagree with you if they were still able

I do wear a seat belt. That is an example of me taking responsibility for myself - for those who have trouble with reading comprehension. Yes, I have sent both of my children to school with colds, but tell them not to cough or sneeze on others in an attempt to minimize spreading germs. Worst case scenario here is that another student gets a cold. This is likely the worst case scenario with covid for most teens in good health as well. That is different than sending my kid who may have covid to a nursing home and telling them to run through all the rooms and lick the the old people. That would be similar to most of your examples, which are ridiculous.
I appreciate you proving my point that you're just a selfish person. There are numerous kids in every school with immune deficiencies or other underlying conditions that your little turd passing the cold on to could cause them significantly more harm. Not to mention that unless you're a doctor, or have taken them to a doctor, you don't know if it's a cold or something else. But please make sure you don't inconvenience yourself

I appreciate you proving my point that you're just a selfish person. There are numerous kids in every school with immune deficiencies or other underlying conditions that your little turd passing the cold on to could cause them significantly more harm. Not to mention that unless you're a doctor, or have taken them to a doctor, you don't know if it's a cold or something else. But please make sure you don't inconvenience yourself
So you are telling me you have never left your home when there was the possibility you may have a cold? Never left home with a headache- which could be a sign of illness. Never left home with any symptom of possible sickness? There is no one I have ever met that would even claim that, much less expect anyone to believe it. Come on man, I know truth and logic aren't first nature to you, but that is way off the deep end.

So you are telling me you have never left your home when there was the possibility you may have a cold? Never left home with a headache- which could be a sign of illness. Never left home with any symptom of possible sickness? There is no one I have ever met that would even claim that, much less expect anyone to believe it. Come on man, I know truth and logic aren't first nature to you, but that is way off the deep end.
That is not at all what I'm saying. As an adult, I know what measures to take to not get others sick. Kids don't know and don't care. I have not sent my kids to school sick. Could there have been times that they didn't tell me, sure. But purposefully sending a sick child to school is what causes breakouts in schools. Pretty crappy IMO. But hey, those other kids are just going to have to buck up, right?

That is not at all what I'm saying. As an adult, I know what measures to take to not get others sick. Kids don't know and don't care. I have not sent my kids to school sick. Could there have been times that they didn't tell me, sure. But purposefully sending a sick child to school is what causes breakouts in schools. Pretty crappy IMO. But hey, those other kids are just going to have to buck up, right?
So you go the doctor if you think you might have a cold to confirm what it is and wear a mask in case you suddenly sneeze or cough if it just a cold. Is that your revised statement?

No, I am not eating out or going to the grocery store. Our minimal contacts with friends have been after long discussions and understandings of what we have done. The few times I am out in public I wear a mask. I minimize contact with others at work on my own team.

And I don't have COVID-19.

But the ones who partied in tight quarters for a week with large groups of other kids, from different parts of the state... they all have COVID-19.

Reactions: CU91ENGR
So you go the doctor if you think you might have a cold to confirm what it is and wear a mask in case you suddenly sneeze or cough if it just a cold. Is that your revised statement?
Can you read? My point is about you sending a sick kid to school. Do you send your kid to school wearing a mask when he/she is sick? No, you don't. Adults understand that you don't need to be shaking hands when your sick, or coughing around others. Kids do not.

it doesn’t sound like a big deal.
Moving your kids hours away from your house for 2+ weeks, unplanned, isn't a big deal?

I happen to love my family and love my kids. I like spending time with them, living with them. Their presence makes my life more fulfilled.

So I don't want to have to move them hours away for their health and safety.

Reactions: CU91ENGR
I asked this before but never got an answer...what exactly is "lung damage", and more importantly, why does it matter?

As long as air goes in and out, who cares if there's damage?

If you do any type of high tempo cardio you would see that it matters..

I know an semi elite athlete in their early 30's that is struggling to run a sold mile and they're in shape to do a sub 16 5k.

Was never hoping for any deaths. Just hoping idiots like yourself would realize this isn't the flu
I’d bet that you’re perfectly fine with the lack of social distancing from the protesters and looters. Most of your kind are.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
And you know this, how? There is a pretty high percentage of smokers in Italy that would probably disagree with you if they were still able
Google is your friend. Tons of story’s on this.

I’m not disagreeing with everything you’ve stated. But is it not abundantly obvious to you that the MEDIA is playing everyone for fools? All of them. There are no conservative or liberal media. They all are bought and paid for by the faction trying to destroy everything in this country. The “virus” that should be obvious by now was manipulated by man to be extremely receptive to human cells in Wuhan China’s bio weapons lab with the help of some in this country is being made to be way more than it is. Hospitals being paid for CV-19 deaths. How can it not be obvious what is happening? I’m not trying to be argumentative rather I sincerely would like to know from another point of view. Because from my perspective it should be obvious. It is the communist playbook word for word. Read it and tell me I’m wrong

100! Excellent post! Please post more often. Need more folks with common sense posting like you

According to whom? The media!!!???

unless you’ve seen it with your very eyes it would be wise to not go down that rabbit hole.

Can you not see what they are doing? Think bigger! Think past the virus, race, economic issues and ask yourself why is this happening all at once. Because I’m telling you friend, this is so much bigger than what they are saying. Watch the narrative change. Watch what happens next.

Was never hoping for any deaths. Just hoping idiots like yourself would realize this isn't the flu
It’s not the flu. It’s something much more than that. But it IS NOT what the media demands it is. The deception and evil taking place have absolutely destroyed things.

I totally agree. Unfortunately half of this board would have gone with them or paid for it.

NO! That’s not the point. The old saying “one cannot see the forest for the trees” is about the only thing I can think of as a response to your statement. See the forest. Because that will reveal the big picture

Im not sure why you turned OP’s idea of caution to that extreme.
I hope those kids will be okay and everyone else.

I’d bet that you’re perfectly fine with the lack of social distancing from the protesters and looters. Most of your kind are.
Just curious what you mean by "my kind"? You don't know me or really anything about me, so it's probably not wise to make assumptions.

According to whom? The media!!!???

unless you’ve seen it with your very eyes it would be wise to not go down that rabbit hole.

Can you not see what they are doing? Think bigger! Think past the virus, race, economic issues and ask yourself why is this happening all at once. Because I’m telling you friend, this is so much bigger than what they are saying. Watch the narrative change. Watch what happens next.
Did you graduate in '03? If so, that makes sense. You probably still believe in the tooth fairy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT