ADVERTISEMENT

Social Media Race Wars between former FSU Players and FSU Fans

It’s comical isn’t it. I knew the consensus before I commented but to be expected when there wasn’t a good response. The racist attack is weak and it is just deflection from the point. That made me laugh out loud. My point was there’s other plausible reasons that he may have chosen to go there. I’m still waiting for the blue chip who picked us because of academics lol!
If there are other plausible reasons then why have blue chip players not gone to hbcu’s in the absence of NIL money? That’s the question people are asking and you are screeching racism in response, which is tired and predictable. I watched some of the Jackson state game today and it’s terrible football. As for your question, Clemson’s graduation rate for football players and the overall student body certainly is attractive for players.

There are some “news” outlets incorrectly interpreting the flip as being huge that he chose a HBCU and they think it’s racist that anyone is upset about it. Also they are asking if this signals a new day when top talent will choose to play at HBCU’s over “traditionally white” schools. They are trying to inject race into every part of this but these reports are being made by reporters that don’t follow recruiting and sports at all-you can tell by the way the article is written.

The reality is this would have been a huge story had the kid flipped to any non Power 5 school and his decision has nothing to do with it being a HBCU, he’s going their solely for Deion and the money (which is fine).

College football fans getting pissed and some acting immaturely is brand new. Never happened before:) agree completely with what you’ve said

If there are other plausible reasons then why have blue chip players not gone to hbcu’s in the absence of NIL money? That’s the question people are asking and you are screeching racism in response, which is tired and predictable. I watched some of the Jackson state game today and it’s terrible football. As for your question, Clemson’s graduation rate for football players and the overall student body certainly is attractive for players.
Thank you for a thoughtful response. I think legislation that allowed for players to profit off of their likeness makes going to an hbcu an easier decision. For the last 30 yrs, the PWI schools have been the predominant path for these athletes to reach the NFL. Less than optimal exposure, no social media back then and putrid resources contributed to hbcu’s being unattractive to black hs athletes. The exposure and ability to market oneself no matter where you are playing ball through social media, etc I believe makes a difference and levels things to a point where some kids will have tough decisions. Honestly, he could get a NIL deal anywhere. Ppl act like he couldn’t get paid at FSU SMH!. I think FSU sucks and it wasn’t that big of a deal like it’s made out to be.

Name another top 10 p
There could be other reasons but those wouldn’t be strong enough to pull him there without the cash. Name another top player in the last 10years
So he couldn’t get paid at FSU would be my response to that?. It seems silly to suggest he couldn’t have gotten any amount matched by big donors there. If it’s money then it’s the highest bidder right? We know FSU has the highest integrity with their program lol

Thank you for a thoughtful response. I think legislation that allowed for players to profit off of their likeness makes going to an hbcu an easier decision. For the last 30 yrs, the PWI schools have been the predominant path for these athletes to reach the NFL. Less than optimal exposure, no social media back then and putrid resources contributed to hbcu’s being unattractive to black hs athletes. The exposure and ability to market oneself no matter where you are playing ball through social media, etc I believe makes a difference and levels things to a point where some kids will have tough decisions. Honestly, he could get a NIL deal anywhere. Ppl act like he couldn’t get paid at FSU SMH!. I think FSU sucks and it wasn’t that big of a deal like it’s made out to be.
I don’t disagree that he could have gotten a NIL anywhere. I still don’t believe that this will be the start of a mass exodus to smaller schools but I could be wrong. In fact I think NIL is going to do the opposite and drive all the top talent to the big money schools, leaving most schools behind, including Clemson. Schools like Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, USC will thrive.

This is a way better post. I disagree that this will become anything remotely the norm. This was rich guy with history to the coach and wanted to help his career. As it’s been said earlier, who wouldn’t take 1.5 mil with the opportunity to transfer immediately. As far as exposure yes social media can help anyone’s but one could argue that NFL scouts can find talent anywhere. Still most all except one to this point choose to go to where they can showcase their ability against the best. Also the thought that families don’t care about their kids eduction as well as all other facets as stated in your previous post is not even remotely true. I hope you wouldn’t view it that way if you had a child athlete with opportunities. Again. Not the upset old white guy. Just disagree with thinking his choice in schools wasn’t directly tied to money for the most part. I don’t blame him a bit for his choice

Reactions: orangebleed23
Please keep bring the heat on these delusion people that act like they understand or care about the plight of people who don't look like them. They're clueless when it comes to the conversations that you're talking about, they really believe that a black kid will have the same experience at Clemson as they would at an HBCU as far as inclusion and being comfortable. Most of these people arguing with you wouldn't even want to share the same spaces as black people don't let them fool you, especially outside of football. They don't care about these kids, and if they didn't play football they would be calling them thugs and other BS i've seen and read on this board. Sometimes it amazes me what the moderators allow on the board. When people have open discussion about stuff they don't agree with in the program the person attacks have to stop lol. The stuff I would read on the board the last 5 yrs regarding race and politics was pathetic but allowed. But if you call out racism they try to call you a racist lol keep the heat coming! The truth doesn't care who tells it!
You’ve lost your mind, obviously.

Reactions: FightingDevilTiger
This is a way better post. I disagree that this will become anything remotely the norm. This was rich guy with history to the coach and wanted to help his career. As it’s been said earlier, who wouldn’t take 1.5 mil with the opportunity to transfer immediately. As far as exposure yes social media can help anyone’s but one could argue that NFL scouts can find talent anywhere. Still most all except one to this point choose to go to where they can showcase their ability against the best. Also the thought that families don’t care about their kids eduction as well as all other facets as stated in your previous post is not even remotely true. I hope you wouldn’t view it that way if you had a child athlete with opportunities. Again. Not the upset old white guy. Just disagree with thinking his choice in schools wasn’t directly tied to money for the most part. I don’t blame him a bit for his choice
I don’t think it will be the norm by any means, nor do I think that parents don’t care about the education either. I never stated either of those things, I challenged the notion that money was the only reason being that he could have gotten money at pretty much any school he signed with. I just don’t get how NIL was the sole reason when it isn’t exclusive to JSU. I know it’s foreign to us Clemson folks but to the rest of the nation there’s some good deals being made at all types of schools.

Thank you for a thoughtful response. I think legislation that allowed for players to profit off of their likeness makes going to an hbcu an easier decision.

Oh my. Do you realize how much your posts contradict each other?

You say in your original post that it's arrogant and racist for anyone to suggest a player may go to JSU for the money.

Now you're saying that the money certainly makes going to a hbcu an easier decision?

I don't know man. I think you're really confused. And I think you're likely the racist in this thread.

I don’t think it will be the norm by any means, nor do I think that parents don’t care about the education either. I never stated either of those things, I challenged the notion that money was the only reason being that he could have gotten money at pretty much any school he signed with. I just don’t get how NIL was the sole reason when it isn’t exclusive to JSU. I know it’s foreign to us Clemson folks but to the rest of the nation there’s some good deals being made at all types of schools.
I just think Norvell and his staff got their butts beat on the trail. Man up and take the L

He got a $1.5 mil payout to go with Deon. Deon denied the # reported but stopped short of saying he was not paid.

This is a one off situation. Deon got a kid a sweetheart deal on a situation where Deon’s marketability was as much as a factor as the kids.

I think Deon basically bought a recruit (with someone else’s money) and this raised Deon coaching status to a point that Deon will be in the P5 next year.

Deon is the one coming out of this smelling like a rose.
Deion a P5 Head Coach next year? Give me whatever you are smoking.

Deion has no business being a HC at a P5 program.

Reactions: FightingDevilTiger
Uh, they had him committed.
Lol I’m missing the point. Guys don’t decommit? Dude cmon now, you’ve been here long enough to know how recruiting works. If Norvell let a NIL deal that everyone claims is the case be the deciding factor in why he chose JSU over FSU then he got his butt whooped plain and simple. I would imagine FSU had their own NIL pitch and more resources to offer, better connections, alumni, boosters etc. He could’ve gotten more from being connected to a larger institution I suspect but I guess JSU has some special type of money there. If we let SCSU take a 5 star kid from us NIL deal or not I’m going to say CDS got his butt whooped plain and simple.

Most schools fans tend to be spooked bout the nil. Even blue blood schools be thinking they will be left behind

You’ll see the the true intentions when Sanders leaves and this guy follows along. Then we’ll all know
My thoughts exactly……neither one of them will be there long. Deion got his guy, hunter got his cash and there is 99.9% chance that he isn’t at Jax St for 3 yrs.

If we accept your premise that educational reputation should be/is an overriding determinate factor, then the Ivy League shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Hell… Virginia and Duke should have lapped us long ago if football recruiting was heavily influenced by quality of available education.

It is possible that many people view undergraduate college degrees more as a commodity and don’t place a huge emphasis on where one attended.

And HBCU’s are not inherently racist because they are based on racial identity; they were created in response to overt racism at universities like Clemson University.

If kids begin choosing to support and play at colleges who were created in response to exclusion at what are now powerhouse programs, they may just be following Dabo’s sage t-shirt advice: Football Matters.
This is not exactly accurate. Clemson and SC State were actually created at the same time by Ben Tillman. Yes that Ben Tillman created SC State.

Please keep bring the heat on these delusion people that act like they understand or care about the plight of people who don't look like them. They're clueless when it comes to the conversations that you're talking about, they really believe that a black kid will have the same experience at Clemson as they would at an HBCU as far as inclusion and being comfortable. Most of these people arguing with you wouldn't even want to share the same spaces as black people don't let them fool you, especially outside of football. They don't care about these kids, and if they didn't play football they would be calling them thugs and other BS i've seen and read on this board. Sometimes it amazes me what the moderators allow on the board. When people have open discussion about stuff they don't agree with in the program the person attacks have to stop lol. The stuff I would read on the board the last 5 yrs regarding race and politics was pathetic but allowed. But if you call out racism they try to call you a racist lol keep the heat coming! The truth doesn't care who tells it!
The experience at Clemson and SC State are not the same, no denying that. But if you had to make a decision based off academics and football you would choose Clemson. SC State football or Jackson St for that matter does not have facilities anywhere near what a power 5 school has. They will not be able to close the gap unless the move out of FCS football. There just isn’t the same level of TV money and support. I personally feel that the experience for a black person on Clemson’s campus has improved since my days in the early 2000s, but it will never be a majority black campus like SC State.

Reactions: Tigerswag91
He got a $1.5 mil payout to go with Deon. Deon denied the # reported but stopped short of saying he was not paid.

This is a one off situation. Deon got a kid a sweetheart deal on a situation where Deon’s marketability was as much as a factor as the kids.

I think Deon basically bought a recruit (with someone else’s money) and this raised Deon coaching status to a point that Deon will be in the P5 next year.

Deon is the one coming out of this smelling like a rose.
Yes, then the kid gets to transfer out next year with some cash in the bank.

Reactions: JSpears5
We don't know what racist means anymore in this country. We assign that word to so many things that don't apply.
Funny you say that. We were just talking about this recently. What happened to the word prejudice? That was a word that means “preconceived opinion or notion that isn’t based on factual information or real experience”. Society has scrapped that word and just use racist for anyone who doesn’t agree with them as it relates to issues that may involve race

Reactions: Willence
So... you must be racist for calling him racist because he called you racist... Got it, makes sense... Guess Dr King's work was all for naught... The media is doing their job...

• Love
Reactions: BHSRebels89
I’ve always pondered how blacks can have all black colleges but no other races are culturally allowed.

Why the double standard?
Kwanza:

History and etymology​

American Maulana Karenga created Kwanzaa in 1966 during the aftermath of the Watts riots[2] as a specifically African-American holiday.[3][4] Karenga said his goal was to "give blacks an alternative to the existing holiday of Christmas and give blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and their history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."[5] For Karenga, a major figure in the Black Power movement of the 1960s and 1970s, the creation of such holidays also underscored the essential premise that "you must have a cultural revolution before the violent revolution. The cultural revolution gives identity, purpose, and direction."[6]

According to Karenga, the name Kwanzaa derives from the Swahili phrase matunda ya kwanza, meaning "first fruits".[7] First fruits festivals exist in Southern Africa, celebrated in December/January with the southern solstice, and Karenga was partly inspired by an account he read of the Zulu festival Umkhosi Wokweshwama.[8] It was decided to spell the holiday's name with an additional "a" so that it would have a symbolic seven letters.[9]

During the early years of Kwanzaa, Karenga said it was meant to be an alternative to Christmas. He believed Jesus was psychotic and Christianity was a "White" religion that Black people should shun.[10] As Kwanzaa gained mainstream adherents, Karenga altered his position so practicing Christians would not be alienated, stating in the 1997 book Kwanzaa: A Celebration of Family, Community, and Culture that "Kwanzaa was not created to give people an alternative to their own religion or religious holiday."[11] Many African Americans who celebrate Kwanzaa do so in addition to observing Christmas.[12]

Last edited:
Kwanza:

History and etymology​

American Maulana Karenga created Kwanzaa in 1966 during the aftermath of the Watts riots[2] as a specifically African-American holiday.[3][4] Karenga said his goal was to "give blacks an alternative to the existing holiday of Christmas and give blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and their history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."[5] For Karenga, a major figure in the Black Power movement of the 1960s and 1970s, the creation of such holidays also underscored the essential premise that "you must have a cultural revolution before the violent revolution. The cultural revolution gives identity, purpose, and direction."[6]

According to Karenga, the name Kwanzaa derives from the Swahili phrase matunda ya kwanza, meaning "first fruits".[7] First fruits festivals exist in Southern Africa, celebrated in December/January with the southern solstice, and Karenga was partly inspired by an account he read of the Zulu festival Umkhosi Wokweshwama.[8] It was decided to spell the holiday's name with an additional "a" so that it would have a symbolic seven letters.[9]

During the early years of Kwanzaa, Karenga said it was meant to be an alternative to Christmas. He believed Jesus was psychotic and Christianity was a "White" religion that Black people should shun.[10] As Kwanzaa gained mainstream adherents, Karenga altered his position so practicing Christians would not be alienated, stating in the 1997 book Kwanzaa: A Celebration of Family, Community, and Culture that "Kwanzaa was not created to give people an alternative to their own religion or religious holiday."[11] Many African Americans who celebrate Kwanzaa do so in addition to observing Christmas.[12]
Thank you.

Reactions: LUV DEM TIGERS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT