ADVERTISEMENT

Spreadsheet Nerds GITT: ACC '23-'24 player rankings based on production

TylerHumpFrow13

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2019
A couple of basketball threads in the past week got me curious about individual player production among ACC teams, so I've been doing some spreadsheeting the last couple days during my free time. I created a ranking system that compiles overall player stats and then applies a ranking to each player based on overall production.

DISCLAIMER: I used this website to accumulate stats. It unfortunately does not list every player in the league, but it does track each player that averaged 15 or more minutes per game on the season and played in at least half of the games, tracking a total of 102 players in ACC play. I also chose this website because it allows you to single out stats based on conference, position, and graduating class, and you can track stats using a number of different splits.

Here's what I found out about Clemson:
PLAYERRANK
Joe Girard10
Ian Scheiffilin12
PJ Hall21
Chase Hunter55
RJ Godfrey71
Chauncey Wiggins80
Dillon Hunter100

How I reached these ranks: I went by each stat category and used a formula to rank players by stat category from best to worst. This included the following categories: PPG, FG%, 3P%, FT%, Rebounds, Assists, Blocks, Steals, Turnovers, and Personal Fouls. For Turnovers and Personal Fouls, I reversed the equation to rank the lowest stats in these two categories as the highest ranking (i.e. a player with 0.1 Turnovers per game would be ranked much higher than a player with 2.0 turnovers per game, and the same for Personal Fouls).

I then took an avg rank of each category and applied the ranking equation to that avg. to get an overall ranking for each individual player from 1 to 102. The goal here was to make the most comprehensive comparison of players regaardless of position and total stat output for individual categories. By ranking each stat and then taking avgs of every stat rank, I'm attempting to balance categories, as different positions/player roles can't be defined by one stat category. For instance, Ian Scheiffilin clearly won't have a comparable PPG statline to PJ Hall's, but Scheiff does have better Rebounds and Assists statlines as well as Turnovers and Personal Fouls.

PLAYERRANK / MIN
Ian Scheiffilin13
Joe Girard18
PJ Hall20
RJ Godfrey58
Chase Hunter63
Chancey Wiggins73
Dillon Hunter90

Next, seeing as there was a vast discrepancy of stats based on playing time between the top ranked player in the league and the 102 ranked player, I wanted to see potential numbers based on everyone getting the same number of minutes per game across the board. I created a separate spreadsheet dividing each player's non-percentage stat categories by the number of minutes played and then multiplying each number by 40 min, and then taking the averages of all these categories and ranking. This ranking is obviously more speculative, as some of these stat numbers would be subject to change based on an increase in number of minutes and therefore an increase in experience/role for the players with smaller MPG stats, but I also figured that the players with the most MPG had some discrepancy in stats as well and wanted to see a more even comparison on that end, and I found the results very interesting.

This metric essentially bumped Ian Scheiffilin to the top of Clemson's team as the most valuable player from a production perspective. It also bumped RJ Godfrey above Chase Hunter, pushing him into the top 5 of Clemson's players.

PLAYERTEAMRANK
Quinten PostBOS1
RJ DavisUNC2
Hunter SallisWF3
Matthew ClevelandUMFL4
Maliq Brown SYRA5
Jared McCainDUKE6
Reece BeekmanUVA7
Armando BacotUNC7
Hunter CattoorVT9
Joseph Girard IIICLEM10

Above is the top 10 players in the ACC based on comparing all season stats

The following is the top 10 players in the ACC based on season stats if all players were to play the same number of minutes:

PLAYERTEAMRANK
Quinten PostBOS1
RJ DavisUNC2
Hunter SallisWF3
Maliq BrownSYRA4
Jared McCainDUKE5
Jamir WatkinsFLAST6
Ishmael LeggettPITT7
Reece BeekmanUVA8
DJ HorneNCST8
Armando BacotUNC10

ADVERTISEMENT