ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Changes-Offense

Spencer_York

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2021
I think we all agree that there need to be staff changes on offense. I think it would be helpful to go through our offensive staff, figure out who should be replaced, and then potential replacements for them. This is mainly an intellectual exercise since we all collectively have 0 say in what happens.

Current Staff, listed in order of how hot their seat is:

Thomas Austin: I was an Austin defender at the beginning of the season but I think it is time for him to go. I know that there have been injuries to Parks and Tate but there seem to be issues with development, we are constantly relying on a freshman to provide serious snaps, and we are generally way too inconsistent on the field. I also think that while Austin has had some bad luck on the recruiting trail and has upgraded the talent at the position, he could be better on the trail. I think he should be replaced and would not be surprised if he is.

Tyler Grisham: Grisham has been discussed ad nauseum so I won't get into it too much. I know he was put on watch by Dabo last year. I think the injuries to the position mean he will get another year. I see the merits of keeping or firing him and I could take it or leave it to be honest. I think hiring a second WR coach would actually be a really interesting idea. Most Air Raid teams have an inside and outside WR coach. Make up the numbers by only having one DL coach.

CJ Spiller, Kyle Richardson, Garrett Riley: I included all of these guys together because I think they're safe and their seats aren't hot. Spiller has improved his recruiting tremendously and has two good ones for 24 and 25., I like what Richardson has done with Ennis and Sapp, think Brinny's issues are on him, I like who he brought in as freshmen, and I really like Betancur. Brooking is also a pretty good get by him. Nothing needs to be said about Riley, he'll make his money developing Cade.

So that is 1 definite replace, 1 possibly, 3 safe for the offense. Here are the replacements I would go with:

OLine Coach:
-Matt Luke: As Paul has said before, I think if you decide to make a change here then your first two calls are to Matt Luke. Guy can recruit and is a dang good ball coach. He retired early to spend time with is family. Clemson is the one school I think that could get him back into coaching with our focus on family. His sons are middle school/high school age and he'd be able to watch them play ball at Daniel basically every game and it wouldn't surprise me if they had PWO spots on the team when they're done. He's also a good ol Southern Boy. Sounds like a fit for Clemson.

-Jim Michalzik: Currently at Oregon State, would probably follow Jonathan Smith to Sparty, but definitely someone I want to call. He was coaching while TA was a kid. His Oregon State OL's have been pretty good. They're a physical running team. He's got the look and the name of a proper OL coach.

-Brandon Jones: Currently at Mizzou. Started coaching in 2007 and has an impressive resume. Played in and has experience coaching in the Air Raid, including with Dykes and Lincoln Riley. Idk how he is at recruiting but he can really coach up and develop guys.

-John Garrison: Ole Miss but previously at NC State. Good at finding diamonds in the rough and developing guys.

-I don't know as much about OL guys so I'm going to list some I think could be good, particularly with Xs and Os and development: Conor Riley KSU, Tim Drevno UCLA, Scott Fuchs Kansas, Mike Hallett Toledo, Matt Moore WVU, Dwayne Ledford Atlanta Falcons, Scott Huff Washington, Adam Cushing Duke.

WR Coach:
-Craig Stutzman, Texas State
-Junior Adams, Oregon
-Dennis Simmons, USC
-JaMarcus Sheppard, Washington
-Terrence Samuel, Kansas
-Chris Jackson, Texas
-Rob Likens, SMU
-Malcolm Kelly, TCU
-Lonnie Galloway, UNC (1st choice)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT