ADVERTISEMENT

The most telling thing from the preseason...

shortbus22

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Simpsonville, SC
It seems every year, with the value of hindsight, you can see telling indicators from the preseason reportings that point to what actually transpired on the field. This past year was no different.

I am not sure if it was on here or if a buddy told me, but during the last two scrimmages, someone posted that fans may be a bit disappointed in the passing game. That most wanted us to open it up and go deep, and that is not what we were working on in the scrimmages. It was the intermediate and short stuff, sustaining drives, etc.

Looking back, I thought that was bullcrap and we were just hiding stuff or gonna start slow and incorporate more deep stuff later. But I was wrong, even through the bowl game, taking shots deep is either not being focused on or not being emphasized in what they are giving the O. We are asking Cade to make 8-10 good reads/decisions, plus the running game, every drive to score.

That's my biggest hope for the offseason... is that we start trying for chunk plays more often. It seems around the FSU game timeframe, we were taking a few shots to Randall, and he seemed to get PI a few times. But we never really emphasized that. I know we didn't have many WR options available, but I just hope with the new room next year we start bombing it away a few times a half again.

These other teams don't seem to have to be so cute/smart/sneaky to get people open. And that was the ultimate demise of the the season for my money. The bad freak turnoveres and stuff was part of it, but we just required too many things to line up to score the ball. I hope adding Cole, AW0, Moore, and Wesco to what we have is gonna open that back up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News