ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from a "Pumper"...

shortbus22

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Simpsonville, SC
Ever since Dabo led this team to the mountain top, I've been in "trust Dabo" mode. He took us to heights I never thought we would see. I went to places I never thought I'd go and watched playoff game and natty after playoff game and natty. I refused to be "spoiled" and take it for granted. I refused to bite the hand that was feeding me. But maybe I also refused to see what was unfolding in front of me.

Here are my thoughts...

- If we are not gonna take transfers, we at least have to process the kids who aren't good enough so we can bring in a full class every year. Watching 6 and 25 out their on defense makes me irate. They should be gone, and instead, they are the two players coaches attack relentlessly because they simply aren't good enough. They are not up to our standard, yet they are still here starting and playing heavy snaps.

- We are lacking the fire, drive, and fight that made us great. The ROY bus is gone. The Ben Boulewares and Jamie Skalskies aren't here. We "arrived" when we beat LSU in that CFA bowl. Leading up to that game, all Dabo kept talking about was getting in a fist fight, being ready to get of fthe mat and fight back, toughness, physicality, etc. And that's what we did! Tajh had one of the toughest performances in our history... and we stayed to that level for damn near a decade. But we are not there now. And for all the talk of "accountability", it was clear from the first series that we still weren't ready for a fight.

- Did I say 6 and 25 on D are not good enough?

- Cade is too jittery. If he can't calm down, he can't be the guy. Pat the ball, chop your feet, pat the ball, start to back up, pat the ball. He's waiting on them to be open before he throws it, rather than anticipating and hitting them out of their breaks. We got "separation" in our breaks, but the ball wasn't there. By the time it arrived, we weren't "open" anymore.

- Why are we so damn risk averse on O? The point above is part of it. So scared to throw it into trouble that it makes us throw it into trouble.

- I'd rather run the damn jumbo Christian Wilkins package on first and goal from the 1 than a zone read or shotgun handoff. I don't care what our offense is. Punch the damn ball in.

- Cade's decision to slide with the game on the line was one of the worst I've ever seen. Cole Stoudt and Cullen Harper made tougher plays than that.

- We do not fly to the ball on D anymore. Every tackle is a one or two man tackle. We used to have 7 people show up at the ball all the time. Now, guys seem content to "be in their spot", but don't make plays. They don't flow to the ball and actually get there the way we once did. Nate Wiggins allowing himself to be blocked for 40 yards on Leonard's run is a perfect example. Carter should get him down there, but where were the reinforcements? When is the cavalry coming? We have to get back to swarming.

- Nick Eason gets a bunch of love around here for his recruiting chops, but his guys aren't nearly as disruptive as before he got here. Sorry, it's just the truth.

- We have fallen too in love with the "culture". The culture is great. I love it. But, you don't invite your Sunday school class to a fist fight. We need to take more chances on gritty, mean ass guys. Ben Boulware wouldn't get a scholly here right now. Sammy wouldn't come here and we wouldn't likely push for him. We need to bring in more killers. Period. Get them to buy in and hold it together for the culture, but go rip people's faces off during the games. We have too many pretty athletes that just aren't mean enough or tough enough.

- Dabo letting Cade run by him without giving five is more problematic than I'd like to admit. Chase his ass down and make a point. He hasn't earned a damn thing to be able to act like that. Shades of Kyle Parker on another Clemson team that wilted. Where is the coach that made a punter run back on the field for loafing? Demand better in front of God and everybody. Make sure the team sees that NOBODY is above playing to the standard and if you fail, you get coached up and go try again.

- Did I say 6 and 25 aren't good enough? 1 is lucky I don't throw him in there too.

- Catch the damn ball!

That's all I got. Got a lot to work on. The season is not lost, but these issues won't go away from hope. It's nut cutting time, and our coaches and players are all "on the clock".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News