ADVERTISEMENT

What’s it gonna take to fix this?

correct. arms circa 1776. (if we can't regulate them, why can't i have unlimited automatic weapons with silencers?)

p.s. you still haven't said outright you can defeat the us military. unsure of your training?
What i am saying is that a civil war will look nothing like you expect. Pretty much like any war.

But if the government ever gets to the point that it has to use its weapons on it's own people, then that government is done with.

Vivek described it best. The 2nd amendment is a contract between the Government and the people. Similar to how nuclear weapons policy is mutually assured destruction. If the Government has to turn its weapons on its people, then its assured they will both be destroyed.

So, your dream that the Airforce is going to come and drop bombs on MAGA is just not going to happen.

In order to change the constitution you need an overwhelming majority and the public is no where near that right now. And thus things will remain the same and some violence will be the cost of Freedom.

If people don't like that, they will change the laws, move, or go to war. Pretty simple.

For those saying stricter gun laws are pointless and we need to (I’m paraphrasing): improve culture, fix the family dynamic, etc. how do you propose we do all that? It sounds like empty buzz phrases, but I don’t see any suggestions on exactly HOW we do that. Can any of you who’ve suggested these solutions propose an idea on how to accomplish them?

@dbjork6317 had a great post in the other thread listing his solutions; it’d be nice if someone on the other end of the debate offered something similar.

I dont have time to give you a lengthy answer right now, but this convesration would need to include the current justice system. For example, Chicago now has no cash bail. VIolent criminals are being let off easy. Multiple repeat offenders on the streets. We have gotten soft on crime in the name of social justice and we are not enforcing our current laws.

Its a give and take. More social justice (class and race) = more crime. Economics

Start by enforcing our current laws and keeping criminals locked up. Look at El Salvador, it works. Not perfect, but it CAN be done.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
What i am saying is that a civil war will look nothing like you expect. Pretty much like any war.

But if the government ever gets to the point that it has to use its weapons on it's own people, then that government is done with.

Vivek described it best. The 2nd amendment is a contract between the Government and the people. Similar to how nuclear weapons policy is mutually assured destruction. If the Government has to turn its weapons on its people, then its assured they will both be destroyed.

So, your dream that the Airforce is going to come and drop bombs on MAGA is just not going to happen.

In order to change the constitution you need an overwhelming majority and the public is no where near that right now. And thus things will remain the same and some violence will be the cost of Freedom.

If people don't like that, they will change the laws, move, or go to war. Pretty simple.
if you fight the government they will also be destroyed? holy shit you're all the way out of your mind.

also, well over 50% of Americans support stricter gun laws. you are again in the minority and somehow you still can't see it. shocking. but congress will continue to do nothing because it's easier to get reelected that way.

You’re several times more likely to die to a gun in the United States than any other large, wealthy country.

I wonder what the difference may be between the US and the UK.

Demographics, gang violence, drugs, borders, inner city crime…

Lot of differences between the US and UK (and other EU countries) that contribute to the rates of gun violence.

Reactions: fatpiggy
I dont have time to give you a lengthy answer right now, but this convesration would need to include the current justice system. For example, Chicago now has no cash bail. VIolent criminals are being let off easy. Multiple repeat offenders on the streets. We have gotten soft on crime in the name of social justice and we are not enforcing our current laws.

Its a give and take. More social justice (class and race) = more crime. Economics

Start by enforcing our current laws and keeping criminals locked up. Look at El Salvador, it works. Not perfect, but it CAN be done.
America has the highest recidivism rates in the world. There are plenty of studies that suggest jail time isn’t a deterrent for most crime, as MOST crime is a product of poverty. Our prisons are seen as tools of punishment, instead of reform (which is the case for the majority of countries with very low recidivism rates.) Furthermore, the concept of for profit prisons has further exacerbated this problem (which is a topic for a different time.)

The concept of harsher penalties being a deterrent to crime is a fallacy that no data supports. Looking to El Salvador as a model is not a great idea, unless you’re fine with innocent people being locked up consistently.

You want to help lower violent crime? Address the root problem: poverty.

America has the highest recidivism rates in the world. There are plenty of studies that suggest jail time isn’t a deterrent for most crime, as MOST crime is a product of poverty. Our prisons are seen as tools of punishment, instead of reform (which is the case for the majority of countries with very low recidivism rates.) Furthermore, the concept of for profit prisons has further exacerbated this problem (which is a topic for a different time.)

The concept of harsher penalties being a deterrent to crime is a fallacy that no data supports. Looking to El Salvador as a model is not a great idea, unless you’re fine with innocent people being locked up consistently.

Agree wholeheartedly on the prison system comments but on your comments on poverty: poverty doesn’t mean wealth. Throwing money into generational poverty doesn’t help. Generational issues are hard to solve because kids grow up only understanding what their parents/grandparents teach them and the situations they’re in. So how do we solve that?

Reactions: yoshi121374
Kinda hard to have gun control in California when you can drive to Arizona and get what you want. But then you propose that something be done on the national level, and they foam at the mouth.

Let’s be tough as hell on crime because that will work, but no no no, if you’re tough on guns it won’t help
Tell that to the DA Bragg when he releases 4 illegals in NYC after they beat the hell out of 2 cops to only be arrested several days later for beating up a Macy's security guard trying to stop them from stealing. Yeah, that's tough on crime.

And yet the immigration policy so far is let's release millions of illegals onto the streets of America who are trying to escape poverty in their own countries while ignoring the Vets, drug addicts, mentally ill, etc who are currently living on the streets already. What a joke

For those saying stricter gun laws are pointless and we need to (I’m paraphrasing): improve culture, fix the family dynamic, etc. how do you propose we do all that? It sounds like empty buzz phrases, but I don’t see any suggestions on exactly HOW we do that. Can any of you who’ve suggested these solutions propose an idea on how to accomplish them?

@dbjork6317 had a great post in the other thread listing his solutions; it’d be nice if someone on the other end of the debate offered something similar.
I already did and posted an article from Austria detailing the failure of strict gun controls in Latin America. But I don't need to post an article, I've lived and traveled through Latin America for 23 yrs and have seen it first hand.
It doesn't work unless you're a criminal.

And yes I mean gun violence. A country full of mental health issues and the easiest thing you can buy is a gun. Crazy shit that a family can’t go celebrate a parade without this happening. Crazy “woman” shoots up a church. And this list could go on for a while….
Destroy the NWO & no, I’m not joking. They’re behind most mass shootings. I’ll post their 4th goal in a minute.

And yes I mean gun violence. A country full of mental health issues and the easiest thing you can buy is a gun. Crazy shit that a family can’t go celebrate a parade without this happening. Crazy “woman” shoots up a church. And this list could go on for a while….
NWO’s 4th Goal….

To establish the ability to control of each and every person through means of mind control and what Zbignew Brzezinski called techonotronics, which would create human-like robots and a system of terror which would make Felix Dzerzinhski's Red Terror look like children at play.

Agree wholeheartedly on the prison system comments but on your comments on poverty: poverty doesn’t mean wealth. Throwing money into generational poverty doesn’t help. Generational issues are hard to solve because kids grow up only understanding what their parents/grandparents teach them and the situations they’re in. So how do we solve that?
Great points, and I don’t disagree. There have been recent studies that suggest giving people in poverty lump sum payments were used to help relieve them of debts instead of used to purchase luxury items/drugs/booze. Will it work on a macro level? No idea, but ultimately I don’t think handing people money is the solution.

I think we need to provide better social services to high poverty areas - better funding for schools, better after school social services programs, better engagement between corporations and schools wrt training programs for jobs after graduation, etc. I also think we need to address the number one cause of poverty and bankruptcy in this country - the healthcare system - but again, that’s a topic for another day.

I don’t have all the answers, but I do think we aren’t doing enough to address the root problem of crime in this country.

And yet the immigration policy so far is let's release millions of illegals onto the streets of America who are trying to escape poverty in their own countries while ignoring the Vets, drug addicts, mentally ill, etc who are currently living on the streets already. What a joke
We're a massive country who's able to walk and chew gum at the same time. There's no reason we can't take care of our own internally, while also addressing the immigration problem in this country.
I already did and posted an article from Austria detailing the failure of strict gun controls in Latin America. But I don't need to post an article, I've lived and traveled through Latin America for 23 yrs and have seen it first hand.
It doesn't work unless you're a criminal.
Apologies, i haven't seen that article. Was it in this thread?

Demographics, gang violence, drugs, borders, inner city crime…

Lot of differences between the US and UK (and other EU countries) that contribute to the rates of gun violence.
I've read a couple studies that disagree. Demographics...maybe. But not much difference in the other categories other than possibly scale. Number of available guns is still the most likely different, wouldn't you say? If you've seen any studies on your theory, please share.

This thread is a microcosm of why nothing will ever happen to fix this issue in America. I get people not liking the idea of stricter gun laws, but to say it won’t work despite all evidence to the contrary is just silly. There’s proof all over the world of stricter gun laws curbing gun deaths. Looking at gun violence in Central America and then saying “see they still have gun deaths!” is incredibly disingenuous.

The fact is, hardline gun owners don’t want to deal with any additional hassle with gun ownership as they don’t see themselves as the problem. Unfortunately, that’s not really how society works. The bad actors have ruined it for everyone else, so now it’s everyone else’s responsibility to deal with a little headache to ensure the greater peace.

Please stop thinking you hoarding guns is going to stop the government from walking all over you should they wish it. Too many gun owning lunatics have the desire to live out some weird Red Dawn fantasy.
Yea sadly few people are willing to deal with a little headache to ensure greater peace. So you’re in favor of stricter gun laws. Curious if you’re also in favor of stricter punishment for illegal firearm possession, tougher sentences for violent crime, and stop and frisk? Im ok with all of it.

We're a massive country who's able to walk and chew gum at the same time. There's no reason we can't take care of our own internally, while also addressing the immigration problem in this country.

Apologies, i haven't seen that article. Was it in this thread?
To be honest there have been so many threads I can't remember if it was here of another so I'll post it again.

https://austriancenter.com/gun-control-laws-failed-latin-america/

To address the poverty thing. I'm not saying the US can't handle the issue I'm asking why they haven't? Newsome, Pelosi should be ashamed of themselves for what has happened in San Francisco, LA etc. and yes I'm sure there are Republicans to fault as well but the Dem cities are a glaring image of failed policies, even NYC has turned into a shithole worse than usual.

Look at all the gun violence in Chicago, they have such strict laws!! Please disregard that Indiana, with some of the weakest gun laws in the country - and where 70% of guns confiscated in Chicago come from - is only 30min away.
This is exactly why it won't work. As has been stated, the only way it stop is if you take away all the guns. Making it harder for law abiding citizens to get guns will not stop criminals from getting guns.
As for the "well look at other countries" argument, how many of those other countries had the number of guns we have when they passed stricter gun laws?
It's very similar to drugs at this point. Drugs are illegal. I don't do drugs, but if I am sure I could have whatever I want in a matter of hours if I so choose. Same with a gun. If I wanted a gun, I could get one in a fairly short time frame. Passing more laws is not going to change that.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
NWO’s 4th Goal….

To establish the ability to control of each and every person through means of mind control and what Zbignew Brzezinski called techonotronics, which would create human-like robots and a system of terror which would make Felix Dzerzinhski's Red Terror look like children at play.
Is this before or after the FEMA guillotine camps ?

Before, right now! The last 20 years! They’re making these mass shootings happen to create legislation to take our guns away from us. Worldwide gun Registration leads to Confiscation!
what an utter fvcking failure. one thing we can be sure of is that there will not be any new gun laws because of this. too many kids have been killed by guns in schools for us to give a fvck anymore

correct. arms circa 1776. (if we can't regulate them, why can't i have unlimited automatic weapons with silencers?)

p.s. you still haven't said outright you can defeat the us military. unsure of your training?
I guess they only allowed speech that was available in 1776 too. Can't say any of those new fangled words.

To put it nicely, that's a dumb argument.

Reactions: Clemson Goat
I've read a couple studies that disagree. Demographics...maybe. But not much difference in the other categories other than possibly scale. Number of available guns is still the most likely different, wouldn't you say? If you've seen any studies on your theory, please share.

If I'm reading these stats right, the FBI is reporting that (in 2019):
  • 51.2% of murders/manslaughter and 52.7% of robberies (both good proxies for gun violence) were committed by Black / African Americans.
  • Hispanics/Latinos check in at 20.7% and 23.7% respectively.
  • Whites check in at 25.1% and 21% respectively.
Now when you adjust that for the percentage of the population, the minority contribution to these stats is overwhelming.
  • Black/AA represent 13.6% of the population (yes, a little over 1/8 the population is committing over 1/2 the murders and robberies)
  • Hispanic/Latino represent 19.1% of the population
  • Whites (non-hispanic) represent 59.3% of the population
Now let's look at the UK:
  • Black/AA represent 3-4% of the population
  • Hispanic/Latino represent 0.1% of the population
  • Whites represent 81.7% of the population
32.7% of the US population accounts for 72% of the murders and 76.4% of the robberies. That population is roughly 1/10 the per capita size in the UK. So on just the one factor of demographics, we're able to isolate a massive contributing factor to the crime statistics.

This doesn't account for more gang activity and more drug dealing activity in the US - huge factors in the murder/gun violence story.

I bet your study is not relevant to the situation. Since there are "plenty of studies" that jail time isn't a deterrent to GUN CRIME, please post one that is available. I guarantee that study isn't worth the paper i wipe my ass with. What a dumb argument.

Anyway, great point on El Salvador. They have a trade off between less violence and locking up innocent people. We have a trade off of gun violence for individual freedom. Locking up innocent people or accepting some level of violence. Unfortunately, that is economics and the tradeoffs we must make.

Each country decides where they want to be on that scale. In our country, the constitution limits us to how far we can move off that scale. Thus gun violence is the cost of Freedom.

• 51.2% of murders/manslaughter and 52.7% of robberies (both good proxies for gun violence) were committed by Black / African Americans.
Now when you adjust that for the percentage of the population, the minority contribution to these stats is overwhelming.
  • Black/AA represent 13.6% of the population (yes, a little over 1/8 the population is committing over 1/2 the murders and robberies)
32.7% of the US population accounts for 72% of the murders and 76.4% of the robberies. That population is roughly 1/10 the per capita size in the UK. So on just the one factor of demographics, we're able to isolate a massive contributing factor to the crime statistics.

This doesn't account for more gang activity and more drug dealing activity in the US - huge factors in the murder/gun violence story.

• Love
Bringing race into the picture is pointless, unless your argument is that some races are inherently more prone to violence and criminality than others. A more apt data point to look at is the poverty level of those committing the crimes.

I bet your study is not relevant to the situation. Since there are "plenty of studies" that jail time isn't a deterrent to GUN CRIME, please post one that is available. I guarantee that study isn't worth the paper i wipe my ass with. What a dumb argument.

Anyway, great point on El Salvador. They have a trade off between less violence and locking up innocent people. We have a trade off of gun violence for individual freedom. Locking up innocent people or accepting some level of violence. Unfortunately, that is economics and the tradeoffs we must make.

Each country decides where they want to be on that scale. In our country, the constitution limits us to how far we can move off that scale. Thus gun violence is the cost of Freedom.
Sure, pick your poison. Now you can provide data that supports your argument.
https://perma.cc/4ATJ-KY7Y - this is an analysis of 116 different studies that all came to the same conclusion, fyi.

To your second paragraph, i'd rather trade my "freedom" to own a gun if it meant i wasn't more likely to be wrongfully arrested and imprisoned for a crime i didn't commit.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Bringing race into the picture is pointless, unless your argument is that some races are inherently more prone to violence and criminality than others. A more apt data point to look at is the poverty level of those committing the crimes.

Sure, pick your poison. Now you can provide data that supports your argument.
https://perma.cc/4ATJ-KY7Y - this is an analysis of 116 different studies that all came to the same conclusion, fyi.

To your second paragraph, i'd rather trade my "freedom" to own a gun if it meant i wasn't more likely to be wrongfully arrested and imprisoned for a crime i didn't commit.
Not one of those is relevant to gun crime, only general crime. That was my point and why i capitalized GUN CRIME in the previous post. Compare apples to apples. Gun laws are already much stricter than other laws and I suspect that jail time is indeed a deterrent to future gun violations.

what an utter fvcking failure. one thing we can be sure of is that there will not be any new gun laws because of this. too many kids have been killed by guns in schools for us to give a fvck anymore
It’s not the guns, read my earlier post in this thread about NWO’s 4th Goal. That’s the Problem!

Not one of those is relevant to gun crime, only general crime. That was my point and why i capitalized GUN CRIME in the previous post. Compare apples to apples. Gun laws are already much stricter than other laws and I suspect that jail time is indeed a deterrent to future gun violations.
Okay, so you're acknowledging that harsher penalties/sentences for crime in general doesn't have an affect on reducing crime though? Murder is a crime of passion, for the most part, so no I don't think harsher sentences for gun crimes will reduce offenses - and the two studies below support that conclusion.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/...on-sentences-prevent-gun-violence-but-do-they

Ok. Thanks. I see how you're getting that.

Okay, so you're acknowledging that harsher penalties/sentences for crime in general doesn't have an affect on reducing crime though? Murder is a crime of passion, for the most part, so no I don't think harsher sentences for gun crimes will reduce offenses - and the two studies below support that conclusion.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/...on-sentences-prevent-gun-violence-but-do-they
Nobody wants to budge off their side. If the anti gun control crowd were to come off that and be in favor of stricter gun laws would you be willing to agree to harsher sentencing for violent offenders and people in possession of illegal firearms?

Nobody wants to budge off their side. If the anti gun control crowd were to come off that and be in favor of stricter gun laws would you be willing to agree to harsher sentencing for violent offenders and people in possession of illegal firearms?
Sure, I have no problem with compromise. That's exactly how the government is supposed to work. I'd wholeheartedly support something like that

Not really sure what you’re insinuating but I’m guessing you’re making it a left vs right thing considering what tweet you chose. I don’t give a shit about right or left with this issue. Too many mother fvckers have guns and it’s a problem
Broke the current laws, still had a gun.

We still asking how to fix this or should we shut down the thread now?

This conversation died down quickly, why?

Must be all those Indiana judges in Chicago? Am I doing it right @WapPride ?

• the face while on bail for one gun case and on probation for another. According to CWB, he was the “30th person accused of shooting, killing, or trying to shoot or kill someone in Chicago in 2023 while awaiting trial for a felony.”
  • January 7 – A 31-year-old man and former CVS employee robbed a CVS while on probation for robbing and burglarizing a CVS.
  • January 14 – A 19-year-old gang member shot and critically injured another man in Little Village just three months after getting probation for head-butting a Chicago cop. Prosecutors also dropped a felony gun case on the day he pleaded guilty to the battery.
  • January 18 – A 19-year-old man killed his girlfriend while on probation for a gun charge.
  • January 27 – An 18-year-old man with gang ties gunned down an airport employee while on juvenile probation for gun possession.
  • February 4 – A 56-year-old man killed ex-girlfriend while on parole for strangling his previous partner.
  • February 6 – A 32-year-old man and previous 8-time felon burglarized a restaurant while on probation for burglarizing a nail salon.
  • February 6 – A 16-year-old male allegedly stabbed and killed a man while on parole for attempted murder. Earlier, he was found in possession of a stolen motor vehicle while on that same parole. That case was dropped.
  • February 7 – A 20 year-old man was charged with ‘brutal attack’ of a woman at Chicago Union Station after being released on similar charges under cashless bail law.
  • February 12 – A 33-year-old tow truck driver with two counts of attempted murder after he opened fire on two competitors over a job, while on felony pretrial release.
  • February 13 – A 19-year-old man was caught carrying three guns on CTA less than a month after being placed on “first-time weapon offender probation” for another felony gun case.
  • February 14 – An 18-year-old man killed an Uber driver while on juvenile probation for robbery. He also previously served time in the juvenile justice center for carjacking in 2021.

Last edited:
This conversation died down quickly, why?

Must be all those Indiana judges in Chicago? Am I doing it right @WapPride ?

• the face while on bail for one gun case and on probation for another. According to CWB, he was the “30th person accused of shooting, killing, or trying to shoot or kill someone in Chicago in 2023 while awaiting trial for a felony.”
  • January 7 – A 31-year-old man and former CVS employee robbed a CVS while on probation for robbing and burglarizing a CVS.
  • January 14 – A 19-year-old gang member shot and critically injured another man in Little Village just three months after getting probation for head-butting a Chicago cop. Prosecutors also dropped a felony gun case on the day he pleaded guilty to the battery.
  • January 18 – A 19-year-old man killed his girlfriend while on probation for a gun charge.
  • January 27 – An 18-year-old man with gang ties gunned down an airport employee while on juvenile probation for gun possession.
  • February 4 – A 56-year-old man killed ex-girlfriend while on parole for strangling his previous partner.
  • February 6 – A 32-year-old man and previous 8-time felon burglarized a restaurant while on probation for burglarizing a nail salon.
  • February 6 – A 16-year-old male allegedly stabbed and killed a man while on parole for attempted murder. Earlier, he was found in possession of a stolen motor vehicle while on that same parole. That case was dropped.
  • February 7 – A 20 year-old man was charged with ‘brutal attack’ of a woman at Chicago Union Station after being released on similar charges under cashless bail law.
  • February 12 – A 33-year-old tow truck driver with two counts of attempted murder after he opened fire on two competitors over a job, while on felony pretrial release.
  • February 13 – A 19-year-old man was caught carrying three guns on CTA less than a month after being placed on “first-time weapon offender probation” for another felony gun case.
  • February 14 – An 18-year-old man killed an Uber driver while on juvenile probation for robbery. He also previously served time in the juvenile justice center for carjacking in 2021.
what point are you trying to make? It’s an indisputable fact that the overwhelming majority of weapons confiscated from crimes in Chicago are purchased in Indiana and other neighboring states with lax gun laws.

what point are you trying to make? It’s an indisputable fact that the overwhelming majority of weapons confiscated from crimes in Chicago are purchased in Indiana and other neighboring states with lax gun laws.
Well, the Illinois judges are letting them back out on the streets when they commit crime. Even violent crime. No cash bail.

All of the crimes above were committed by repeat offenders, often multiple time repeat offenders. Thats just the crime in the city too, not including the surrounding suburbs subject to the same laws.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT