ADVERTISEMENT

****⚽ No. 12 Clemson at Louisville | Friday | 8 pm | ACCN****

UptownRETiger

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2019
Two Hours from Everywhere
Woo boy, where to start? No. 12 Clemson (6-2-2, 3-2-0) had been an epitome of inefficiency for the first nine games of the season, for the most part. The Tigers, which travel to Louisville on Friday at 8 p.m., ranked 153rd in Shot Accuracy with 56 shots on goal out of 141 attempts.

There are 205 teams that play men’s soccer in the country. So, uh, not great for a defending national champion.

But we ranked 16th in the country in shots per game. Getting shots wasn’t a problem, being accurate with them was.

So, riddle me this against then-No. 3 UNC last Friday: 5 shots, 4 on goal, 3 goals. Sure, we knew that shots could be at a premium against UNC because, well, they are really good at limiting shots. We thought that goals would be at a premium, too.

And we were missing our two-time captain Adam Lundegard in the back AND our leading scorer @yoshi121374. And we did it with being a man down for the final 22-minutes, 13-seconds after a yellow turned straight red to Remi Okunlola.

Shows what I know. It had been 29 games since UNC keeper Andrew Cordes had allowed three goals in a game – Oct. 18, 2022 at <checks notes> Elon?

So, how did we do it? In my opinion, it was just an absolute masterclass in the midfield from Joran Gerbet. Sure, the free kick was spectacular and the PK was well taken for his brace.

But he dominated this game. UNC midfield couldn’t do anything with him, resorting to fouling him in the second half if they could catch him on the ball. It might be hyperbole, but I don’t know that I’ve seen a more dominant midfield performance in college. No fact checking, please.

For the game, Gerbet completed 59 of 62 passes (.952), had 190 touches, intercepted UNC six times, won two tackles while just turning the ball over four times.

His tackle of a UNC player in the first half and immediate pass out setup Ransford Gyan being fouled right outside the box in the first half. Gerbet’s next touch was taking that free kick that tied the game at 1-1.

Gerbet also had the over the top pass to Alex Meinhard into the box where Meinhard was fouled for the penalty kick. Gerbet’s next touch was the PK to make it 2-1.

The senior from Valence, France is the conductor of our orchestra on the field. If he’s not on or near the ball, he is directing teammates where to go with the ball, where to be, etc. Last Friday was just an amazing display for Gerbet, who now has four goals (all from set pieces/PKs) and five assists on the year.

No rest for the wicked, however. Clemson travels to Louisville (5-3-3, 0-2-3) to take on the Cardinals, which began the season ranked 24th.

Don’t let their pedestrian record fool you, the Cardinals are a capable team. Their three losses have come to Notre Dame (1-2), No. 1 Pitt (2-3) and UAB (1-2), and three draws against Syracuse (1-1), at BC (1-1) and at Cal (3-3). They also have beaten Kentucky (1-0) that was ranked 16th at the time of the game (Sept. 9).

However, Louisville – statistically – is pretty pedestrian. They aren’t in the top 40 in any of the meaningful categories. Their 1.91 goals per game ranks 45th and their goals allowed per game ranks 129th at 1.45.

Last year, in two games against the Cardinals, we beat them 4-0 and 5-1 – and they weren’t a bad team. They were ranked 21st in the former game and the latter came in the ACC Semifinals, but both were at Historic Riggs Field.

Gage Guerra is back for the Cards. The third-round pick of the Portland Timbers leads Louisville with five goals and two assists, including three goals and an assist in his last two games.

On paper, it looks good, but we haven’t beat them in Louisville since 2016. We’ve lost 0-1, 1-2 and 0-1 in double overtime the last three times up there. It’s a quality ACC team on the road, so nothing is a given.

We are back in the fourth spot in the ACC standings now. Again, top four spots won’t have to play a road game in the ACC tournament – first round and quarterfinals are at home sites before the semifinals and final are in Cary, NC.

Part of the reason we are in fourth was the play of Mason Lamb last Friday against UNC. The transfer from Cal State Fullerton was pressed into his first career start for the Tigers and responded with a full 90 minutes of solid work – even had a shot on goal from his left-centerback position.

Lamb played and started all 20 games last year for CSF, earning second-team All-Big West honors. He played his high school ball at Montverde Academy, no doubt helping the Florida native’s move to Clemson.

Going into last Friday, Lamb had played just 117 minutes for Clemson in three games (Loyola Maryland, Holy Cross and Notre Dame), but he stood tall when he needed against UNC. While he’s right-footed, you wouldn’t have guessed it against UNC – used his left for several long balls.

In the latest United Soccer Coaches poll, the ACC has three in the top 10 and seven total ranked teams.

After that UNC game, I have decided that I’m going to name a Prick of the Game in these write-ups. I am torn between referee JC Rivero and UNC’s Sam Williams (#7). I think I’ll give the inaugural award to Rivero, who used to ref on the field in the MLS, but hasn’t since 2018 – he’s been a VAR referee since then.

But, the crimes he committed against Clemson last Friday were worse than the actual felonies he committed. He was suspended by the MLS in 2014 for claiming more than $14,000 in unemployment benefits while being gainfully employed.

Ironically enough, the last Clemson game he did was Clemson’s last-minute win over Virginia Tech on Sept. 29 last year. That win was the start of an unbeaten run to end the season. We were 12-0-1 after he refereed that game against VT, so as much of a prick as he was, I hope he’s also our good luck charm.

Go Tigers! Beat Louisville!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.