ADVERTISEMENT

**** aTm Tears. Yesterday, they lost in the National Championship game. Today….their coach leaves to go to……Texas. Lol 😂

GoodWord28

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2013
The site wide pass is the best money I spend every month. Just for stuff like this:

Yesterday afternoon:

First, the elephant in the room​

Texas fired baseball coach David Pierce Monday morning. It was a couple of weeks in coming, and they just let him hang out there in the breeze. Then they cut the cord before the biggest game in Texas A&M baseball history.
That's pitiful, pathetic, petty...whatever adjective you want to say that works well without a profanity. But it's par for the course for them. It is the most Texas thing ever.
It immediately reminded me of 2008, when Alex Rodriguez announced he would be opting out of his contract with the Yankees 90 minutes before Game 4 of the World Series. There was no need for him to do that, it was just an egomaniac going for a "look at me!" moment when the eyes of the baseball world should have been somewhere else.
Texas athletics is the A-Rod of college sports. "LOOK AT ME! I. AM. OVER. HERE."
Add in the foot stomping of a infant and you're there.
Of course, considering the timing, a lot of people are thinking their next coach is either Tony Vitello of Tennessee or A&M's Jim Schlossnagle.
I don't know about Vitello, but there's been no indication at all that it's Schloss. That is definitely the hope and dream of Texas fans, but the only incentive that he would have to leave is to go to work with Chris Del Conte, his athletic director at TCU. Nobody here in Omaha, including people who know way more than me, if indicated that this is happening or even a possibility.
Schloss would not come cheap. They'd have to pay A&M a $2.7 million buyout, then would likely have to make him the highest-paid coach in college baseball. They're capable of doing that, but that's real money in baseball terms.
On the other hand, A&M has the better facilities, which will be getting better, the better team, the better recruiting class and have been outstanding in the transfer portal. And you can bet A&M will be more than willing to give him a pay raise.
And who wants to be the guy to either win or come in second in the College World Series and say, "Hey guys, it's been great, but see ya"?
Anyway, I'm not saying Schloss going to Texas is an impossibility. I am saying it's very, very unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News