* * * * AUGUST CAMP: Monday Afternoon Update & Freshmen Nuggets * * * *

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
AUGUST CAMP: Monday Afternoon Update & Freshmen Nuggets
By: Larry Williams & Paul Strelow

Will Shipley was responsible for one of the biggest "what if" moments last year at Pitt when he dropped a touchdown pass after slipping behind the defense.

The gaffe has led some to conclude he can't be a reliable receiver out of the backfield, but we've been on record as saying that's too strong.

In our mind, that excruciating moment will be but a blip in time as Shipley blossoms as a dynamic all-purpose threat.

And the sophomore's words on the topic strengthen our belief.

11p3.jpg
Sophomore back Will Shipley walks onto the Jervey practice fields Friday evening. (Tigerillustrated.com)

"I've kind of worked in silence on that part," he said. "It's definitely something I want to improve from last season. I want the coaches to have full trust in me to be out there and throw me the football. And not only that, but the quarterback. I want DJ to trust me to go out there and catch the football whenever it needs to be caught."

Shipley caught 16 balls for 116 yards last season in 10 games. In high school he was a major receiving threat out of the backfield with 84 career catches for a 16.8-yard average while scoring 23 touchdowns.

"My hands have never truly been a question to me," he said. "Last year was more of an attention thing, an adrenaline thing.

"The moment was sometimes too big for me last year. I'm not afraid to admit that. I watched a lot of film, and it's just me taking my eyes off the ball or being too jittery out there for whatever reason. But it's something that comes with experience and age. Me being a sophomore ... everything's a lot slower than last year and I'm learning to appreciate it."

Not long ago, it was common to wonder whether Travis Etienne was ever going to be a real receiving threat out of the backfield. He had a total of 17 catches in 2017 and 2018 before amassing 37 in 2019 and then 48 for 588 yards in his final season.

And it's worth noting that Shipley entered Clemson much more polished as a pass-catcher than did Etienne in 2017. -- LARRY WILLIAMS

I wrote earlier this weekend about Clemson's strength in numbers and how the competitive depth could benefit at several positions.

Having more options is one of the reasons why it might be harder for more than a handful of freshmen to earn regular rotation roles at their position this season.

One position where that applies is inside linebacker, where Trenton Simpson, LaVonta Bentley, Jeremiah Trotter and Keith Maguire stand to log the vast majority of the significant snaps.

11p5.jpg
True freshman linebacker Wade Woodaz. (Tigerillustrated.com)

Clemson brought in three linebackers with this freshmen class -- all three uncharacteristically added after this point a year ago.

Among the 11 overall newcomers who reported this past summer, maybe the one who got our attention the most in exceeding initial expectation was inside linebacker Wade Woodaz.

The 6-foot-3 Woodaz has some length to him and just looks like he could fit the profile of some past SAM linebackers who doubled as glorified safeties, although Wes Goodwin has already pinned Woodaz as a future WILL 'backer.

He checked in at 217 pounds, and it appears he could easily pack on another 15 with a standard year in the weight room and nutrition facilities.

Woodaz demonstrated some good initial quickness in a punt-blocking drill where his length also served as value.

So to anticipate an early impact would be premature. But Clemson might have been onto something long-term when it veered off the radar to pursue him last fall. -- PAUL STRELOW

NEW: Nike
Icon Coaches 2022 Early Season Performance Polo HERE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News