ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 is back, supposedly

When it comes to playoff selection, will 11-1 or 10-1 teams have priority over 8-1, 9-0 Big 10 teams that played an abbreviated season?

For example, a 11-1 Notre Dame team that loses to Clemson in the ACCCG. Or a 10-1 UNC team that doesn't make the ACCCG. Or similar scenarios in the SEC.

I know they won't leave out a 9-0 OSU team, but they should at least think about it if there are worthy teams with more wins.
Especially depending on who the Big Ten puts on OSU’s abbreviated schedule.

All this may lead to the CFP being expanded to 8 teams.

The undefeateds won't be an issue. Its what do you do to a 11-1 vs an 8-0.

If an 8 game schedule doesn't include some combination of games against Ohio St, Penn St. Wisconsin and/or Michigan, is it really playoff worthy?
Time to expand playoffs to 8 teams ... even if just for this year.

Reactions: DaTater
Why do they need 5 weeks? Weren’t they still practicing?
Not really

teams were allowed 12 hours per week; no pads, no contact; no drills outside of position groups - for example wrs could’nt go vs dbs

and I think I heard the 12hrs per week also includes conditioning

Reactions: BHSRebels89
9-0 against all Big 10 games is easy call to get into the playoffs. There are only 4 conferences this year.

The question will be do you take a team that is at best 10-1 against P5 teams and not a Conference Champ over a 8-1 B1G Conference Champ.

It probably depends on the circumstances of each teams loss, but it is no different calculus than any other year as never have schools played close to equal strength of schedules. This year you might also have to factor in a team that took an L missing tons of players, but otherwise was flawless.

Get ready for OSU in the playoffs (IMO our biggest threat to another natty). They will likely go 9-0 and I imagine the CFP would put them in at #4. So I am hoping we end up at Number 2 and OSU has to play Bama to get to us first.

Yeah 8 games then Big 10 Championship Dec 19th. No margin for error..

Just a FYI... The SEC is playing the SEC championship on Dec 19th also.

So there is the built in excuse when we win it all. We didn't get the break that Clemson did and were injured and tired.
No excuses. They will have played 3 less games (9 for Big 10 champ to Clemson’s 12)

Imagine what would happen if, after all this, Ohio State loses a game early.
iu

Reactions: eubyscott
Get ready for OSU in the playoffs (IMO our biggest threat to another natty). They will likely go 9-0 and I imagine the CFP would put them in at #4. So I am hoping we end up at Number 2 and OSU has to play Bama to get to us first.
A team who is 9-0 when compared to 12-0 teams should automatically be relegated to the 4th spot due to playing less games.

Not that it matters but does they AP add big 10 schools back to the polls given they don’t start until the 24th? Most teams will be atleast 5 games played already
Imagine what would happen if, after all this, Ohio State loses a game early.
This would be glorious

Reactions: VTiger15
When it comes to playoff selection, will 11-1 or 10-1 teams have priority over 8-1, 9-0 Big 10 teams that played an abbreviated season?

For example, a 11-1 Notre Dame team that loses to Clemson in the ACCCG. Or a 10-1 UNC team that doesn't make the ACCCG. Or similar scenarios in the SEC.

I know they won't leave out a 9-0 OSU team, but they should at least think about it if there are worthy teams with more wins.

I may be in the minority, but I think a 9-0 Ohio St team would likely deserve a playoff spot. The issue would certainly be judging them against an 11-1 ACC team or 10-1 SEC team.

But if Ohio St goes 9-0 against Penn St, Michigan, and the Big10 champ opponent, I think it would be difficult to justify leaving them out.

Reactions: Baldinger's Finger
Also the CFP could just say forget all this eye test bullshit. And make it so this year each Conf champion will be given a spot. and then from there delegate seeding.

I'm glad the Big Ten is back. Those kids deserve to play and I want to beat the best, whichever team that is.

That all said, the reactions from Ohio State fans to the news today reinforces my disdain for that program. They have surpassed ND in my hierarchy of dislike* (only because I don't really hate anyone).

Wow... Just read this paragraph. I can see this being huge and possibly having someone test positive and just go ahead and opt out...

The Big Ten will also require any athlete who tests positive for COVID-19 to be withheld from game competition for 21 days and undergo comprehensive cardiac testing, including an MRI that could detect inflammation of the heart. That data will be put into a cardiac registry to help further the study of COVID-19 effects.

Reactions: VTiger15
This is smart.

Wish this happened every year in every conference.

Also means that OSU's schedule is the East plus best from the West (assuming the win East)

Reactions: Cavitybacks
Wow... Just read this paragraph. I can see this being huge and possibly having someone test positive and just go ahead and opt out...

The Big Ten will also require any athlete who tests positive for COVID-19 to be withheld from game competition for 21 days and undergo comprehensive cardiac testing, including an MRI that could detect inflammation of the heart. That data will be put into a cardiac registry to help further the study of COVID-19 effects.
Imagine if Justin Fields tests positive. That’s 3 games. That’s big news.

The Big Ten's announcement included extensive information about medical protocols for practices and games, including daily testing before practices and games for everyone on the field and a designated Chief Infection Officer at each school. If the team positivity rate exceeds 5 percent on a seven-day rolling average, practices and competition must stop for a week.

giphy.gif

Also the CFP could just say forget all this eye test bullshit. And make it so this year each Conf champion will be given a spot. and then from there delegate seeding.

So let's say we go 11-0 but lose to ND who is 9-2 in the championship game even though Clemson already beat them. You put in a 10-2 ND team over an 11-1 Clemson team that went 1-1 vs ND?

So they aren’t really having a conf championship but rather a conf tournament if 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2, etc. interesting

Did the PAC 12 not get the same new medical information that lead to the big 10 resuming?

I have no issue with them reversing their course when faced with new information. However, it feels like the only new information they're basing this on is the money other schools and conferences are going to make by playing. The rapid test argument is complete bs.

Football players who test positive for COVID-19 must wait at least 21 days to return to competition, as they will undergo "comprehensive cardiac testing" before being cleared by a cardiologist designated by each university primarily for that purpose.

That is almost half of their season for any football player that tests positive. They better hope the players are avoiding any chance of getting it.

I certainly don't agree with it. But Clemson fans might as well go ahead and accept that Ohio State will be in the CFP now. They will probably get in even with a loss if they win their conf championship. Let's just hope - that for once -we get the better draw in the semis.

sounds like it is time for a “COVID party” (and it wouldnt surprise me at all if it happened). With 5 weeks until they start I’m sure some would rather miss 3 weeks of practice than risk having to miss 3 weeks of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT