ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking down the ACC thus far

CrouchingTiger72

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2014
Every team has played at least 4 conference games and many have already played all of their OOC games as well so its fair to make some assumptions about the teams, the league balance and the place of the league in the national conversation.

Top tier- Clemson and Miami. Rosters, staffs, and performances are playoff worthy and all units on the team are up to the challenge of winning a playoff game or two.

Spoiler status- SMU, Pitt, Ville and Va Tech. Well coached, capable of winning against good teams but not a playoff worthy roster.

Mayo bowl bound- Duke, Wake, UNC or Nc State. These teams all have a shot at a record better than the sum of their parts due to scheduling quirks. One or more of these teams will finish strong.

Thanks be to the ACC for 11 bowl affiliations this year- Cuse, UVA, Boston College, Cal and Ga Tech. Could get ugly for any/all of these teams despite good efforts at times. The slide for these teams is inevitable.

Basketball schools- FSU and Stanford.

One observation I have from watching a lot of league games is that a lot of Head coaches are trying to hard or leaning on analytics too much and its skewed some results to look worse. I think I have seen more head-scratching coaching decisions in game this year from league coaches than any year in the past. The best coaches are going to win more than not. Its the only reason I can't go ALL In on Miami being undefeated in the regular season... I am just waiting for Mario to screw it up.

The ACC is also losing the narrative, media exposure battle. A one loss Notre Dame team will likely trump a 1 loss ACC team in a playoff bid or worse a 5th entry for the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.