ADVERTISEMENT

Britney Griner

She won't change at all, if the USA gets her back the next thing we'll see is her leading another protest of some kind.
She is a typical liberal who wants all our laws changed so they can run wild, steal, rob, do drugs and no harm can come to them.
Leave her ass there and let other know we won't make deals for those who protest our laws. The USA should do to those who protest here and burns things down, destroy police cars, kill others and put their lazy sorry ass in jail and make them do hard labor of some kind.
Maybe so but she’s still an American. I will always fight for Americans no matter how ignorant or disillusioned they might be.

I love threads like these. Reveals how hateful people actually are. Especially those that identify as Christians when their actions, words or whatever in no way demonstrate what Christ would want us to say. But nothing new here.

To remove religion and just have a general discussion....

Protesting the country and loudly speaking on what you believe is wrong with it doesn't mean you hate it. Some of yall can't truly be this way. We have multiple amendments that say as much. People wildly and loudly protested and got women the right to vote, civil rights among other things. Another 30 or so amendments that didnt all come easy but wvery one was a request for constitution level change. Some of those protests were violent and not a pretty part of our history. Those people didn't hate America. They wanted it to be better.

You can know the country is great and want it to be better at the same time. Problem is many times the ones that are most comfortable or not impacted in the areas of concern simply don't give a damn. Your right. But it doesn't mean you love America more.

The people protesting on Jan 6 didn't do it because they hate America. Even if I disagree with their protest I don't think they were there because they hate America. Should we suggest they all go live abroad and see how good they have it? That's just stupid. No one suggests that the proud boys should go live abroad and experience Russia. Some of you don't realize how hateful you sound. It's sad. Not her being in trouble. I still believe she'll be fine in the long run. Being used as a pawn. Sad that people actually are so damn hateful. And I don't care one bit about Griner beyond her being a citizen.
She's black, gay, and participated in peaceful protests for the way black people are disproportionately treated by police and others in this country so she doesn't have a chance with far too many people on this board. And like you, I don't have any feelings about Griner either beyond being an American citizen.

It amazes me how she’s now reaching out to everyone possible to get her out of trouble, when she broke the law in Russia. Just a short time ago she wanted to protest the freedoms we have in the US, however she’s trying to use our countrymen to help her get freedom. I’m all for using your platform for your own agenda, however don’t come back and ask for that same county, which you boycotted, to now help you.

I hope she learns a valuable lesson that the US is the best country in the world. May think twice against protesting what freedoms you do have.
Article below for reference:

What she did wasn't smart, but the finger-wagging because you don't share the same political beliefs is just sad. I couldn't care less about Griner but trying to silence her makes you no better than the people she's imprisoned by.

Interesting comments and opinions in this thread mostly by Christians in a God-full country
It is not my position to show her mercy or grace, she hasn't wronged me and I have no political power to help her.

Sometimes you have to let the offender pay the full price (i.e. hit rock bottom, saving them from their choices is just enabling them). IF she has no other recourse but to cry out to God, to repent and trust his power to save her, then I think everyone would say it is worth it...including Griner!

It is not my position to show her mercy or grace, she hasn't wronged me and I have no political power to help her.

Sometimes you have to let the offender pay the full price (i.e. hit rock bottom, saving them from their choices is just enabling them). IF she has no other recourse but to cry out to God, to repent and trust his power to save her, then I think everyone would say it is worth it...including Griner!
Sounds like it’s a lot of people’s position is to judge her….including the presumption of guilt.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
Brittney Griner publicly said that "she could not stand the national anthem". I'm sorry, but that's not protesting, that's disrespecting. Poor choice of words on her part. I think it's only fitting that she now gets to experience what it's like outside that national anthem. I don't wish harm on her, but I think it serves her right to get a lesson on how valuable this nation, and national anthem, actually is. I'm sure she will be back home in the US soon enough, and will most likely pick back up where she left off....sadly.

Brittney Griner publicly said that "she could not stand the national anthem". I'm sorry, but that's not protesting, that's disrespecting. Poor choice of words on her part. I think it's only fitting that she now gets to experience what it's like outside that national anthem. I don't wish harm on her, but I think it serves her right to get a lesson on how valuable this nation, and national anthem, actually is. I'm sure she will be back home in the US soon enough, and will most likely pick back up where she left off....sadly.
The national anthem is rooted in racism. So if she protests the song then good for her. The flag also. Screw the flag. I'll say it. The constitution says I'm good.

Now I don't really mean it but it needs to be said. The PEOPLE in the country ARE the flag. Not the opposite. Without the people the flag is a worthless piece of cloth. We could design a new flag tomorrow. Its been redesigned before. A great songwriter can come up with a better song tomorrow. The people and what we stand for will remain. Idolatry is a serious problem in this world and the flag and that song is one of the worse examples of it. People will sacrifice other good tax paying, law abiding citizens Americans like themselves who are complaining over a piece of cloth. That flag has been bought and sold, whored out all over the world and we citizens are left to deal with the aftermath.

Our leaders on both sides have successfully divided us using these symbols. I'll be glad when Americans open their eyes and realize everyday American people are bigger than these symbols. I'm a proud American because of the folks I encounter daily and because ofbthe others across this country that i know exist. I know the best of us and I'm proud of that.

The national anthem is rooted in racism. So if she protests the song then good for her. The flag also. Screw the flag. I'll say it. The constitution says I'm good.

Now I don't really mean it but it needs to be said. The PEOPLE in the country ARE the flag. Not the opposite. Without the people the flag is a worthless piece of cloth. We could design a new flag tomorrow. Its been redesigned before. A great songwriter can come up with a better song tomorrow. The people and what we stand for will remain. Idolatry is a serious problem in this world and the flag and that song is one of the worse examples of it. People will sacrifice other good tax paying, law abiding citizens Americans like themselves who are complaining over a piece of cloth. That flag has been bought and sold, whored out all over the world and we citizens are left to deal with the aftermath.

Our leaders on both sides have successfully divided us using these symbols. I'll be glad when Americans open their eyes and realize everyday American people are bigger than these symbols. I'm a proud American because of the folks I encounter daily and because ofbthe others across this country that i know exist. I know the best of us and I'm proud of that.

We'll agree to disagree on the flag and anthem. If by rooted in racism you mean that slavery was around during this countries origin/infancy, no kidding... it was all over the world during that time, but that has been corrected and race barriers continue to move in the right direction. It doesn't matter how old this country is, or how old any person is for that matter, if they're striving to be better then they're going in the right direction. You don't have to hit the reset button, change your name or appearance, and pretend that you never did anything wrong in the past in order to improve. That would just be a cover up, and trying to live a lie. This country doesn't need to do that either. I understand your view though, and I know you mean well, but no way I would agree with wiping everything away that we know about this country because it wasn't perfect from the start. Next someone would suggest a new name. Nah....lets just continue year after year to become something greater like we have from the very beginning.

you don’t get to pick and choose which Americans we should apply the principles of our country to.
The question is - is she a 'political prisoner' or simply an American who broke the laws of another country?

If a Russian came here and broke our drug laws - would we arrest and prosecute them, or let them go simply because they are Russian?

Reactions: tigerworx
The question is - is she a 'political prisoner' or simply an American who broke the laws of another country?

If a Russian came here and broke our drug laws - would we arrest and prosecute them, or let them go simply because they are Russian?
fair point. but i think we should be working to get her home. and maybe we are.

We'll agree to disagree on the flag and anthem. If by rooted in racism you mean that slavery was around during this countries origin/infancy, no kidding... it was all over the world during that time, but that has been corrected and race barriers continue to move in the right direction. It doesn't matter how old this country is, or how old any person is for that matter, if they're striving to be better then they're going in the right direction. You don't have to hit the reset button, change your name or appearance, and pretend that you never did anything wrong in the past in order to improve. That would just be a cover up, and trying to live a lie. This country doesn't need to do that either. I understand your view though, and I know you mean well, but no way I would agree with wiping everything away that we know about this country because it wasn't perfect from the start. Next someone would suggest a new name. Nah....lets just continue year after year to become something greater like we have from the very beginning.
The anthem has an actual verse that we don't sing in the song. That's what I mean rooted in racism. The song itself speaks of slaves and what will happen to them if they fight for their freedom. I understand if someone has issues with the song. America itself, not just a bunch of complaining black people, had issues enough that the verse is not a part of what we sing.

Also, I never meant for you to get anything close to changing anything. I thought that was clear. My point is those things like flags, songs, etc change and have changed and the people remain. America is the people. Not the idols. Idolatry is a real issue. It's not the master we've made it to be. That's the point. Too many people idolize the wrong thing and forget about the people. The flag is nothing but a piece of cloth. It becomes revered when the people are revered. I love America the people. If the people aren't worth a damn and worth fighting and dieing for neither is the flag.

And when I say the people I don't mean the politicians. Regular average Joe American. God Bless America.

Reactions: fcctiger12
She won't change at all, if the USA gets her back the next thing we'll see is her leading another protest of some kind.
She is a typical liberal who wants all our laws changed so they can run wild, steal, rob, do drugs and no harm can come to them.
Leave her ass there and let other know we won't make deals for those who protest our laws. The USA should do to those who protest here and burns things down, destroy police cars, kill others and put their lazy sorry ass in jail and make them do hard labor of some kind.

yikes

I heard Biden made a deal with Putin....

Griner will be released if she can beat Demarcus Cousins in a 1-on-1 game.

everyone else is putting their two cents in .... soooooo why shouldnt I.

I dont like nor agree with the things that Griner has said in the past BUT ..... she is an American and its clear she is being held as a political prisoner. the US should be doing anything and everything to bring her home.

She should thank God that she was arrested in a country that is known for its respect for individuals' rights. Thank goodness it wasn't in the US of A.

Yeah she's being used as a political pawn by Putin right now. It's a way he can get the US to have to beg him. Why any American would think of traveling to Russia right now is beyond me.

Fvck outta here with this bullshít

I am certainly against racism as I believe most if not all on this board are, but can someone explain where the anthem is racist? I’m not trying to challenge anything I more so would like to understand what line or lines are rooted in racism. I have never heard this argument before

She's black, gay, and participated in peaceful protests for the way black people are disproportionately treated by police and others in this country so she doesn't have a chance with far too many people on this board. And like you, I don't have any feelings about Griner either beyond being an American citizen.
I don't give a shit what color she is or what her sexual preference is, she did the crime (and what a fvcking fool) and now she can stfu and do her time. She's only sorry she got caught. One day she'll be an asterisk as the American in a Russian jail while Russia and Putin tell the world to kiss their asses and wage war.

I am certainly against racism as I believe most if not all on this board are, but can someone explain where the anthem is racist? I’m not trying to challenge anything I more so would like to understand what line or lines are rooted in racism. I have never heard this argument before
There is a verse in the song that talks about slavery and what will happen to slaves if they fight for their freedom. Long ago it was decided not to be sung as a part of the song people sing as the anthem. Some people still say the person who wrote it did for a reason. Some people have a problem with the anthem for that reason feeling it should've never been the anthem. As far as I'm concerned whatever we chose to be the anthem would've been the anthem. If they changed it tomorrow I'd sing the new anthem. If we changed the flag as we have done in the past I'd salute the new flag. America is the people. All those things are subject to change in my eyes. Some worship those things in my eyes. I don't advocate changing either. I'm going to salute and sing both but they are not idols to me to where I miss the big picture. I fight for the American people. Not a flag/song. Just me tho. But again, leave it all alone in my eyes.

I don't give a shit what color she is or what her sexual preference is, she did the crime (and what a fvcking fool) and now she can stfu and do her time. She's only sorry she got caught. One day she'll be an asterisk as the American in a Russian jail while Russia and Putin tell the world to kiss their asses and wage war.
I said "far too many people" not anyone in particular. As you stated, I wouldn't think you would care about her skin color or sexual preference.

There is a verse in the song that talks about slavery and what will happen to slaves if they fight for their freedom. Long ago it was decided not to be sung as a part of the song people sing as the anthem. Some people still say the person who wrote it did for a reason. Some people have a problem with the anthem for that reason feeling it should've never been the anthem. As far as I'm concerned whatever we chose to be the anthem would've been the anthem. If they changed it tomorrow I'd sing the new anthem. If we changed the flag as we have done in the past I'd salute the new flag. America is the people. All those things are subject to change in my eyes. Some worship those things in my eyes. I don't advocate changing either. I'm going to salute and sing both but they are not idols to me to where I miss the big picture. I fight for the American people. Not a flag/song. Just me tho. But again, leave it all alone in my eyes.
I got you man, and you have the right to do whatever you want with the flag or anthem I’m not getting into that. I’m just curious what is the line in the song? I have read over the lyrics and I can’t see it. Maybe it’s going over my head, really not trying to argue about anything I just don’t see it

I got you man, and you have the right to do whatever you want with the flag or anthem I’m not getting into that. I’m just curious what is the line in the song? I have read over the lyrics and I can’t see it. Maybe it’s going over my head, really not trying to argue about anything I just don’t see it
It's been taken out on any version being sung but you can find it very easily.

Reactions: 97ClemsonMac
Got it. I don’t know of anytime in my life I have heard those lyrics played during the anthem, and obviously should stay that way. I stand for the flag and anthem in support of our military, nothing more or less, but I understand and appreciate those that choose to stand up for what they feel is right.
Yeah to date I have always stood. If I ever decided to do otherwise it would only be a protest towards whatever cause. Like protests are meant to do. Bring attention to a cause. Soldiers died for that right for citizens. I'm like you. Although I haven't I understand others feeling the need to do whatever. I just haven't made that choice for myself.

Reactions: 97ClemsonMac
Yeah to date I have always stood. If I ever decided to do otherwise it would only be a protest towards whatever cause. Like protests are meant to do. Bring attention to a cause. Soldiers died for that right for citizens. I'm like you. Although I haven't I understand others feeling the need to do whatever. I just haven't made that choice for myself.
Amen brother

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT