ADVERTISEMENT

Come on SC, get it together

scotchtiger

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2005
Mount Pleasant, SC
Fattest cities in America. SC has 3 of the top 20 - Myrtle area, Greenville/upstate and Columbia. Also checks in as the 6th fattest state.

Embarrassing as fvck guys. Shame your friends into a normal BMI.

Notably absent from the obecities was the GOAT. We have some self-respect in Mt P/Charleston.

Lack of education.

The worst part about going back to Clemson is that there is no decent food. Not sure the restaurants sell anything that isn’t deep fried.

Lack of education.

In parts of the state, sure. Not so much an issue where I am. My wife and I both grew up here and have no problems in this category. Pretty much all of our friends in Mt. Pleasant would easily avoid this list.

But yea, huge swaths of the state are a problem with education, obesity and all sorts of issues.

In parts of the state, sure. Not so much an issue where I am. My wife and I both grew up here and have no problems in this category. Pretty much all of our friends in Mt. Pleasant would easily avoid this list.

But yea, huge swaths of the state are a problem with education, obesity and all sorts of issues.
Must be an oasis because I’ve never seen anything in Charleston that isn’t cooked without a stick of butter.

Reactions: flotiger
Fattest cities in America. SC has 3 of the top 20 - Myrtle area, Greenville/upstate and Columbia. Also checks in as the 6th fattest state.

Embarrassing as fvck guys. Shame your friends into a normal BMI.

Notably absent from the obecities was the GOAT. We have some self-respect in Mt P/Charleston.

Wow. the first list is all southern cities, and the second list are all southern states.

Wow. the first list is all southern cities, and the second list are all southern states.

This is why a scotchtiger presidential bid would never be successful. When the fats hear that I would make them pay higher health insurance rates, Medicare surcharges and more heavily regulate the food supply, I’d be toast in the south. And my generally conservative positions wouldn’t fly in the north.

Even though both categories would be best for the country.

Reactions: yoshi121374
This is why a scotchtiger presidential bid would never be successful. When the fats hear that I would make them pay higher health insurance rates, Medicare surcharges and more heavily regulate the food supply, I’d be toast in the south. And my generally conservative positions wouldn’t fly in the north.

How would you define who are the "fats" as you so eloquently describe people? More regulation from government on food supply? Doesn't sound like a conservative.

But other than your obsession about taxes, you don't really sound conservative nor really want what's "best for the country". You just want everyone to live like you want them to. Oh wait....that is conservative.

How would you define who are the "fats" as you so eloquently describe people? More regulation from government on food supply? Doesn't sound like a conservative.

But other than your obsession about taxes, you don't really sound conservative nor really want what's "best for the country". You just want everyone to live like you want them to. Oh wait....that is conservative.

I’m actually not sure why this is even a contentious suggestion. If you’re a bad driver, you pay more for car insurance. If your house is in a flood zone or hurricane prone area, you pay more for insurance. If you are overweight or in poor health, you pay significantly more for life insurance.

The entire point of insurance is to be able to adjust premiums based on risk. Obese people are at significantly higher risk for very expensive healthcare categories like chronic conditions, diabetes, cardiac issues, etc etc. The US obesity rate relative to other developed countries is a significant reason for our outsized healthcare costs.

It’s not that I want everyone to live the way I want them to. This is just very clear logic. Right now, we are forcing people who make responsible health decisions to subsidize those who do not. My suggestion is to simply let insurance and risk adjustment do its job, and allow people to pay their fair share into the system.

As for the food supply, I don’t think it is even debatable that we have a ton of shit in the standard American diet. Lots of additives and other things that are banned in Europe, for example. Just recently, California banned red dye 40. It is also banned in Europe. There is absolutely no reason chemicals like that need to be in our food. Reasonable regulation in these areas will help the issue above.

Btw, I would also do things like invest in food deserts and require nutrition education at all educational levels. This is absolutely an epidemic negatively affecting the country, and we should all join together to implement holistic changes.

So tell me where I am wrong here? And tell me how incentivizing healthier behavior and removing unhealthy chemicals from our diet isn’t in the country’s best interest?

Reactions: hopefultiger13
I’m actually not sure why this is even a contentious suggestion. If you’re a bad driver, you pay more for car insurance. If your house is in a flood zone or hurricane prone area, you pay more for insurance. If you are overweight or in poor health, you pay significantly more for life insurance.

The entire point of insurance is to be able to adjust premiums based on risk. Obese people are at significantly higher risk for very expensive healthcare categories like chronic conditions, diabetes, cardiac issues, etc etc. The US obesity rate relative to other developed countries is a significant reason for our outsized healthcare costs.

It’s not that I want everyone to live the way I want them to. This is just very clear logic. Right now, we are forcing people who make responsible health decisions to subsidize those who do not. My suggestion is to simply let insurance and risk adjustment do its job, and allow people to pay their fair share into the system.

As for the food supply, I don’t think it is even debatable that we have a ton of shit in the standard American diet. Lots of additives and other things that are banned in Europe, for example. Just recently, California banned red dye 40. It is also banned in Europe. There is absolutely no reason chemicals like that need to be in our food. Reasonable regulation in these areas will help the issue above.

Btw, I would also do things like invest in food deserts and require nutrition education at all educational levels. This is absolutely an epidemic negatively affecting the country, and we should all join together to implement holistic changes.

So tell me where I am wrong here? And tell me how incentivizing healthier behavior and removing unhealthy chemicals from our diet isn’t in the country’s best interest?

I don’t think you are wrong. But do you realize that your political party thinks you are wrong?

Remember the rights reaction when nyc banned big gulps? Remember when Michelle Obama tried to get people to eat healthier? Fox News destroyed her.

I don’t think you are wrong. But do you realize that your political party thinks you are wrong?

Remember the rights reaction when nyc banned big gulps? Remember when Michelle Obama tried to get people to eat healthier? Fox News destroyed her.

It’s hardly my political party anymore. And I know I differ from the GOP there.

Your racist and sexist takes wouldn’t land so well either. Not to mention your lack of understanding of asylum seekers.

But it would be fun to watch, so maybe you should give it a shot.

I can't really disagree with any of that. Good answer. I was being a little flippant. Seat belts are another item that should be insurance premium related instead of law enforcement. Pet peeve of mine.

I couldn’t agree with you more about this. The challenge is we already have people bitching about groceries. I’d be perfectly ok with subsidies for true organic unprocessed foods and a tax on all the shit like fast foods etc.

Reactions: yoshi121374
You said that crime in the Black community was a “cultural” problem. It’s a poverty related isssue due to systemic racism.

Then you mocked me and another poster for evolving beyond the patriarchy and not forcing our wives to take our last name.

Black community crime black on black has NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM

IT HAS TO DO WITH CULTURE OF CRIMINALS

I couldn’t agree with you more about this. The challenge is we already have people bitching about groceries. I’d be perfectly ok with subsidies for true organic unprocessed foods and a tax on all the shit like fast foods etc.

We really do need to start incentivizing healthy living and penalize cheap, processed food peddlers.

My sister-in-law has been overweight for at least 20 years. Several years back she wanted to start eating better and improve her health. Well, technically it was a doctor’s visit that prompted the decision, but at least she was serious this time.

After several weeks, she made the comment to us that “it is expensive to eat healthy and requires a lot of planning”. We both chuckled and said “yes, but the benefits are worth the sacrifices”. We also reassured her that eventually it would become her norm and cheap food would lose its “taste” and have no appeal.

Well, the change only lasted for a few months and she was right back to fast and cheap. She has a self-discipline problem, which plays right into the marketing - and money is an issue, which is why we need to change our food structure in America. It needs to be easy and affordable to take care of your body from a diet perspective. I don’t know the answer, but it’s sad to see so many people that are just unhealthy and living in a system that perpetuates the choice.

Last edited:
You said that crime in the Black community was a “cultural” problem. It’s a poverty related issue due to systemic racism.

Then you mocked me and another poster for evolving beyond the patriarchy and not forcing our wives to take our last name.

Seeing your posts I would NOT take your last name either

We really do need to start incentivizing healthy living and penalize cheap, processed food peddlers.

My sister-in-law has been overweight for at least 20 years. Several years back she wanted to start eating better and improve her health. Well, technically it was a doctor’s visit that prompted the decision, but at least she was serious this time.

After several weeks, she made the comment to us that “it is expensive to eat healthy and requires a lot of planning”. We both chuckled and said “yes, but the benefits are worth the sacrifices”. We also reassured her that eventually it would become her norm and cheap food would lose its “taste” and have no appeal.

Well, the change only lasted for a few months and she was right back to fast and cheap. She has a self-discipline problem, which plays right into the marketing - and money is an issue, which is where we need to change our food structure in America. It needs to be easy and affordable to take care of your body from a diet perspective. I don’t know the answer, but it’s sad to see so many people that are just unhealthy and living in a system that perpetuates the choice.

I will agree that eating healthy takes discipline.

Today's world wants fast , cheap , quick , taste good. It is NOT judged by our senses is it good for the body short and long term.

i cook a lot of my food today because restaurants and processed foods sold in stores is an absolute abomination when it comes to healthy.

Eating healthy takes first an education and literacy in food nutrition and preparation.

Most people do not want to do the time nor spend the money for healthy.

To totally make my point that is irrefutable and cannot be argued .

POINT All Whole Foods , Fresh Market and similar healthy food stores and sources are NOT LOCATED IN LOW INCOME NEIGHBORHOODS OR CITIES.

Highly processed foods and snack foods are located in poor to middle income communities.

DO I NEED TO HIT YOU WITH A 2X4 IN THE HEAD TO FIGURE THAT CALCULUS OUT? LOL

I do lots of fun cooking substituting ingredients for each such as using cottage cheese in recipes for baking.

Always using baked or grilled chicken instead of fried anything.

Instead of highly processed wheat flour I use rolled oats mixed with oats flour or almond flour.

Love the taste of the pancakes as add stuff like walnuts and vanilla. Other spices.

So it i a challenge to eat healthy but it's a worse challenge not to eat healthy.

Have a lot of saved recipes I use off the internet.

Fat people in many cases are already having to pay higher rates on many things.

The one thing that irks me is airline seats. I used to fly 1 to 2 times a week for at least 6-8 hours on flights with some 16-20 hours.

When I got the middle seat with two fatties on my sides I was in deep crap . LOL

Medical procedures are now being limited to high BM persons due to issues of success of the operation.

I think this will be the next frontier in limiting resources across the US BASED ON FATNESS and BM.

Obesity is an economic problem but not in the manner that most think.

Convenience foods are heavily engineered to make us want to consume (and therefor buy) as much as possible and food production is vertically integrated and scaled such that these heavily engineered highly processed hyper-palatable foods are able to be sold at prices that often approach that of the less processed whole food equivalents.

It’s a myth that eating healthy is more expensive. People get confused because of marketing. One does not need to shop at Whole Foods or Fresh Market to eat healthy, and the convenient pre-cooked options at these stores are typically no healthier than equivalents elsewhere. You can get everything you need for a healthy lifestyle at Walmart or Kroger. You’ve just got to stop shopping exclusively in the frozen foods and snack aisles. The issue is that people need to start cooking again. That takes some time and effort to learn and to figure out how to be efficient with and most people aren’t willing to take that step.

Just to play devil's advocate......Should we force people's eating habits to change via government tax and regulations, or since how people take care of themselves only affects us as a whole because our health care costs are tied together (socialized), should we change that system?

You said that crime in the Black community was a “cultural” problem. It’s a poverty related isssue due to systemic racism.

There can be multiple reasons for the substantially elevated rates of violent crime from African Americans. Systemic racism isn’t 100% the cause and we can debate what that % actually is. But when you look at out of wedlock birth rates and fatherless home rates - and then the correlation of those to poverty and crime - it’s difficult to say that is 100% due to systemic racism. There absolutely is a cultural issue involved. And it’s not racist to say that, because facts cannot be racist.

I can’t think of a single person I know or work with that didn’t take the traditional approach of the husband’s last name. And it’s not a SC thing, 99% of the people I work with are outside of SC. If I were to ask my wife if making a snide comment about this was sexist, she would laugh. If I used the term patriarchy, she would probably kick me in the balls. Most people across the country feel the same way.

Last edited:
Just to play devil's advocate......Should we force people's eating habits to change via government tax and regulations, or since how people take care of themselves only affects us as a whole because our health care costs are tied together (socialized), should we change that system?
Great question. Ultimately I think just like we need financial regulation to make sure people can’t easily get scammed, we need good regulation so that people can’t get scammed. Americans would freak out if we tried to take away fast food, so I think you have to tax it to minimize the freak out and use that revenue to subsidize healthy food.

But I also believe in public health care, so I’m sure my views aren’t the norm.

There can be multiple reasons for the substantially elevated rates of violent crime from African Americans. Systemic racism isn’t 100% the cause and we can debate what that % actually is. But when you look at out of wedlock birth rates and fatherless home rates - and then the correlation of those to poverty and crime - it’s difficult to say that is 100% due to systemic racism. There absolutely is a cultural issue involved. And it’s not racist to say that, because facts cannot be racist.

I can’t think of a single person I know or work with that didn’t take the traditional approach of the husband’s last name. And it’s not a SC thing, 99% of the people I work with are outside of SC. If I were to ask my wife if mocking this was sexist, she would laugh. If I used the term patriarchy, she would probably kick me in the balls. Most people across the country feel the same way.
Look at the data. Crime is linked to poverty. Poor white people commit crime at the same rate as poor Black people.

And thanks for the unbiased review from your wife. Super credible. It’s not that it’s common, it’s that does it deserve to be mocked. Most people decades ago didn’t believe in interracial marriage. Or gay marriage. Doesn’t mean they were right, it just means they were bigots.

Btw, I would also do things like invest in food deserts and require nutrition education at all educational levels. This is absolutely an epidemic negatively affecting the country, and we should all join together to implement holistic changes. in no

I actually have no problem with this post.

Look at the data. Crime is linked to poverty. Poor white people commit crime at the same rate as poor Black people.

That’s not true as it relates to violent crime, which was the topic at the time of our original debate. Even when adjusted for poverty rates, per capita black violent crime is significantly higher than white violent crime. It’s just facts. And I don’t appreciate you calling racism on something like that.

Obesity is an economic problem but not in the manner that most think.

Convenience foods are heavily engineered to make us want to consume (and therefor buy) as much as possible and food production is vertically integrated and scaled such that these heavily engineered highly processed hyper-palatable foods are able to be sold at prices that often approach that of the less processed whole food equivalents.

It’s a myth that eating healthy is more expensive. People get confused because of marketing. One does not need to shop at Whole Foods or Fresh Market to eat healthy, and the convenient pre-cooked options at these stores are typically no healthier than equivalents elsewhere. You can get everything you need for a healthy lifestyle at Walmart or Kroger. You’ve just got to stop shopping exclusively in the frozen foods and snack aisles. The issue is that people need to start cooking again. That takes some time and effort to learn and to figure out how to be efficient with and most people aren’t willing to take that step.

I agree with most of your reply

Particularly the people need to start cooking again

Love to cook with slow cookers and also ovens

Raw food is great if you are educated about preparing it

The other day I heard some folks talking about bringing back Home Ec and Ag Shop

Man do we need to do that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT