ADVERTISEMENT

Completely OT. Electric cars.

BlueRidgedf

The Mariana Trench
Jan 16, 2006
Anybody got an electric car? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Has your power bill gone up?

Reactions: OleFastball
I being an electrical Engineering grad from CU one would think I an all over the electric car idea or solar energy

I am all over market driven supply side economics

Hoping SMR nuclear and fuel cell based cars using hydrogen eventually are the norm through a series of evolutions

Solar is so unrealistic as it must be heavily subsidized just to be in the equation

so lets keep the gasoline cars for now

I being an electrical Engineering grad from CU one would think I an all over the electric car idea or solar energy

I am all over market driven supply side economics

Hoping SMR nuclear and fuel cell based cars using hydrogen eventually are the norm through a series of evolutions

Solar is so unrealistic as it must be heavily subsidized just to be in the equation

so lets keep the gasoline cars for now
Vaccine scientist, lawyer, electrical engineer. Regular Leonardo

Problem with Hydrogen is moving it... thermodynamics suck.

Hydrogen fuel electric cars are already being used in California.

Toyota has been producing hydrogen fuel forklifts for around 15 years.

Last edited:
Elon says hydrogen is ridiculous and for whatever reason I believe him.

I think electric vehicles win out in the end. Buy TSLA

Elon says hydrogen is ridiculous and for whatever reason I believe him.

I think electric vehicles win out in the end. Buy TSLA

Hydrogen fuel car's have a electric drive motor. The biggest difference is the way they get their electrical power. One has a battery to power a electrical motor the other one has a a hydrogen fuel cell that produces electricity to power the electrical motor . One needs to be charged to re-power the other one has a hydrogen fuel tank which you fill up just like a gas powered vehicle.

Edit: Hydrogen vehicle's can get approximately 400 miles per tank with some experimental vehicle's up to 800 MPT.

Last edited:
Hydrogen fuel car's are electric drive motor. The biggest difference is the way they get their electrical power. One has a battery to power a electrical motor the other one has a a hydrogen fuel cell that produces electricity to power the electrical motor . One needs to be charged to re-power the other one has a hydrogen fuel tank which you fill up just like a gas powered vehicle.

Edit: Hydrogen vehicle's can get approximately 400 miles per tank with some experimental vehicle's up to 800 MPT.
Didn’t Hydrogen power the Hindenburg? If so, imma take a pass

Vaccine scientist, lawyer, electrical engineer. Regular Leonardo

I have the wisdom to rely on advice from people I have met over my lifetime in many different professions

Me I am a total wussy and have no chance against you in anything

However while I sit on the pine drinking a diet coke and eating popcorn I would just marvel at the ass whopping that someone other than me might be getting taking on the best of best

I am a low level nothing but I know a few people who owe me for having kept their bathroom clean for them over the years we have known each other

That’s metaphorically speaking just to keep you in the game

To call in chips for the childish games we play on this site would be laughable as there is a real world blood and guts metaphorically speaking daily battle going on starting each morning after breakfast

That is the battle I am engaged in I would encourage you to go to church , practice the principles of equality of opportunity, literacy in all things important, agency and stop being so combative

Exception on being combative is when you are right beyond all doubt fight with all your heart

So yes there are exceptions to any rule

There is a country in a world of serious hurt at the moment called USA

She needs problem to solve problems and not be a part of the problem or create problems or worse just be a loud voice with no action

Don’t let anyone judge you but you

So consider my challenge of self analysis by you of you to measurement the value you bring to the world

Make the world better on person at a time starting with yourself is my Mother Thereasa mantra

So now that you have your challenge from me please take a moment to pat yourself on the back if you desire it

Enjoy the rest of your evening

Hydrogen fuel car's are electric drive motor. The biggest difference is the way they get their electrical power. One has a battery to power a electrical motor the other one has a a hydrogen fuel cell that produces electricity to power the electrical motor . One needs to be charged to re-power the other one has a hydrogen fuel tank which you fill up just like a gas powered vehicle.

My concern is the battery issue

Elon may be right but BMW and Mercedes have not written off fuel cells yet using hydrocarbons

Because I am retired and have nothing to do with my time but pursue Windmills like Don Quixote I am looking into the progress and where this is at just for giggles

My concern is the battery issue

Elon may be right but BMW and Mercedes have not written off fuel cells yet using hydrocarbons

Because I am retired and have nothing to do with my time but pursue Windmills like Don Quixote I am looking into the progress and where this is at just for giggles

Toyota, Hyundai, BMW,, and Honda are the top 4 that's investing into hydrogen vehicles. Hydrogen vehicle's only have one 12volt battery which is used for lights and accessories.

Toyota, Hyundai, BMW,, and Honda are the top 4 that's investing into hydrogen vehicles. Hydrogen vehicle's only have one 12volt battery which is used for lights and accessories.

I probably confused you on the battery issue

On EV cars that have the battery that battery is a huge weight and disposal issue and replacement cost issue

I was trying to get some charging stations class 3 for some agencies i an involved with and I started thinking I should look at Fuel cell powered units

Going to do some research on these and also on modular nuclear reactors in the coming months

Reactions: Clemson Goat
I probably confused you on the battery issue

On EV cars that have the battery that battery is a huge weight and disposal issue and replacement cost issue

I was trying to get some charging stations class 3 for some agencies i an involved with and I started thinking I should look at Fuel cell powered units

Going to do some research on these and also on modular nuclear reactors in the coming months

My understanding on EV vehicle's the outdoor weather temperatures extreme hot or cold affects the battery charge.

My understanding on EV vehicle's the outdoor weather temperatures extreme hot or cold affects the battery charge.
Yes, extreme cold particularly.

However, everyone is thinking of batteries as they are today. Batteries have a lot of room for improvement and there is a ton of money being dumped in R&D

Anybody got an electric car? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Has your power bill gone up?
I just bought a Tesla and it the best car I have ever owned. Completely takes the concept of what a car is and turns it on it's head.

Best parts:
  • Unbelievable raw speed
  • AI capabilities like self driving, but is even more than that - overall software is world class
  • 1 pedal driving is a game changer - I sometimes make entire trips never touching the break pedal
  • minimalist interior
  • No stopping at a gas station - ever. Do all my charging from home. Can get from Greenville to Charleston on single charge
Worst parts:
  • build quality is not Audi/Mercedes level, but is really not bad at all
  • Need to get paint protection film as the paint is thin - once on, it looks like glass all the time
  • 1 time upfront costs to get a charger and have it installed in garage

I don't drive too much, but in the last 30 days I have used $11.37 in electricity, which would have cost me $36.39 in gas (and when gas prices are high, it's even a bigger difference)

I just bought a Tesla and it the best car I have ever owned. Completely takes the concept of what a car is and turns it on it's head.

Best parts:
  • Unbelievable raw speed
  • AI capabilities like self driving, but is even more than that - overall software is world class
  • 1 pedal driving is a game changer - I sometimes make entire trips never touching the break pedal
  • minimalist interior
  • No stopping at a gas station - ever. Do all my charging from home. Can get from Greenville to Charleston on single charge
Worst parts:
  • Need to get paint protection film as the paint is thin - once on, it looks like glass all the time

I don't drive too much, but in the last 30 days I have used $11.37 in electricity, which would have cost me $36.39 in gas (and when gas prices are high, it's even a bigger difference)
Thanks for the post. I was thinking of getting 1 myself.

Best parts:
  • Unbelievable raw speed
  • minimalist interior
Worst parts:

What was the approximate cost for the charging station?

Interesting, but it was 8 years ago,
betting there's some improved versions/tech out there now.

Sorry didn't see the date on the article but I have seen the Zombie 222 Mustang on a TV show lately. It is a bad a$$ vehicle. It is powered by 2 electric drive motors.

The Zombie 222 is an electric powered 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback that features 800 hp and 1,800 lb.-ft. of torque which allows it to accelerate from 0-60 mph in 1.79 seconds

Reactions: cbm369
I went bigger than I needed and got the Tesla charger ($425) and the install was like $600.

You could just get a NEMA 14-50 wall outlet installed (if you don't have one) and use a mobile connector ($230)
Interesting. Less than I figured. Is the charging station rated to be outside, or does it have to be indoors?

If I bought an EV I'd probably try to have it where the charger is inside but I can charge the car sitting outside, since I only have a 1 car garage and it is full of junk right now. Does Tesla assist in getting the charger installed? Have a list of recommended installers?

I could clean out the garage, but that's just crazy talk.

Two things still concern me (and I would consider a Tesla or similar EV):

1) Range anxiety - though I think I'd be okay with my work commute.
2) Battery lifespan - this is the big one. Seems like I read that the batteries last ~$200K miles. That is a lot but most gas engines will go much longer than that. Plus that has to impact resale value. I'm a TI Poor in that I don't make 7 figures a year so I gotta think about these things.
3) Repairs and maintenance - with no dealer network it seems like getting the thing fixed would be difficult. I've heard about concerns over this with Tesla.

I still think Chevrolet had the right idea with the Volt - a hybrid with plug in capability. Supposedly you could go long stretches without the gas engine even activating. But you can still fuel up at a gas station in BFE if you need to, in 5 minutes or so.

Long term - similar concept but with CNG or a Hydrogen fuel cell.

Interesting. Less than I figured. Is the charging station rated to be outside, or does it have to be indoors?

If I bought an EV I'd probably try to have it where the charger is inside but I can charge the car sitting outside, since I only have a 1 car garage and it is full of junk right now. Does Tesla assist in getting the charger installed? Have a list of recommended installers?

I could clean out the garage, but that's just crazy talk.

Two things still concern me (and I would consider a Tesla or similar EV):

1) Range anxiety - though I think I'd be okay with my work commute.
2) Battery lifespan - this is the big one. Seems like I read that the batteries last ~$200K miles. That is a lot but most gas engines will go much longer than that. Plus that has to impact resale value. I'm a TI Poor in that I don't make 7 figures a year so I gotta think about these things.
3) Repairs and maintenance - with no dealer network it seems like getting the thing fixed would be difficult. I've heard about concerns over this with Tesla.

I still think Chevrolet had the right idea with the Volt - a hybrid with plug in capability. Supposedly you could go long stretches without the gas engine even activating. But you can still fuel up at a gas station in BFE if you need to, in 5 minutes or so.

Long term - similar concept but with CNG or a Hydrogen fuel cell.

The charger can be installed by any electrician. I think all in, for the electrician and TSLA charger, I was at $1100 or something like that. Not sure about inside vs outside, but I have seen some outside so I would assume they can work there.

1) range anxiety- understandable. 250 miles per charge will work for most people, but not everyone. I saw the other day that the average Tesla owner charges their car every other day and charges it from about 60% to 90%+.

If you are a city driver TSLA may work great. If you are a road warrior driving for work, it’s not yet for you.

2) battery lifespan. I remember when my parents bought a Prius 15 years ago or so and were worrie about battery replacement. That car is like a cockroach, you couldn’t kill it if you wanted to.

3) repairs and maintenance- heard some tough stories on TSLA, but Elon has pledged that service will not be a profit center for tsla. Legitimate concern though.

Short term I agree and would prefer a hybrid. 10 years from now, I think charging stations will be just as accessible as gas stations and it won’t be as big of a concern. Electric cars win out imo.

The charger can be installed by any electrician. I think all in, for the electrician and TSLA charger, I was at $1100 or something like that. Not sure about inside vs outside, but I have seen some outside so I would assume they can work there.

1) range anxiety- understandable. 250 miles per charge will work for most people, but not everyone. I saw the other day that the average Tesla owner charges their car every other day and charges it from about 60% to 90%+.

If you are a city driver TSLA may work great. If you are a road warrior driving for work, it’s not yet for you.

2) battery lifespan. I remember when my parents bought a Prius 15 years ago or so and were worrie about battery replacement. That car is like a cockroach, you couldn’t kill it if you wanted to.

3) repairs and maintenance- heard some tough stories on TSLA, but Elon has pledged that service will not be a profit center for tsla. Legitimate concern though.

Short term I agree and would prefer a hybrid. 10 years from now, I think charging stations will be just as accessible as gas stations and it won’t be as big of a concern. Electric cars win out imo.
Thanks. I did have a neighbor who bought a used Prius and the battery pack did have to be replaced at 123k (ish) miles. But he bought it used and the replacement was ~3k as opposed to the $10k that people thought it would be when it came out. It’s also an older Prius and I don’t know if he still has it or not but it ran well for several years after the repair at least.

I drive ~100 miles a day round trip. 250 mile range would work but if it degrades significantly I might have an issue.

I wish they would design the battery packs so that bad cells could be identified and replaced. They may have but last I read on it you can’t replace one bad cell because when the cell dies it puts more load on the rest and damages them. Tesla uses a metric assload of small cells so this may be less of an issue.

Sorry didn't see the date on the article but I have seen the Zombie 222 Mustang on a TV show lately. It is a bad a$$ vehicle. It is powered by 2 electric drive motors.

The Zombie 222 is an electric powered 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback that features 800 hp and 1,800 lb.-ft. of torque which allows it to accelerate from 0-60 mph in 1.79 seconds

Talk about G Forces

I bet many a tester puked on that LOL

Thanks. I did have a neighbor who bought a used Prius and the battery pack did have to be replaced at 123k (ish) miles. But he bought it used and the replacement was ~3k as opposed to the $10k that people thought it would be when it came out. It’s also an older Prius and I don’t know if he still has it or not but it ran well for several years after the repair at least.

I drive ~100 miles a day round trip. 250 mile range would work but if it degrades significantly I might have an issue.

I wish they would design the battery packs so that bad cells could be identified and replaced. They may have but last I read on it you can’t replace one bad cell because when the cell dies it puts more load on the rest and damages them. Tesla uses a metric assload of small cells so this may be less of an issue.

What determines how long batteries last is not miles, it is battery cycles. Tesla batteries last 1,500 cycles. The 200K miles is a translation and it is the most conservative estimate. It basically assumes you drain and fully recharge the battery every day. Most real world use has the 1,500 cycles lasting most people between 300K-500K miles.

As far as range, almost all these batteries see a 10% degrade to range in the first 1-2 years. After that point, the degrade comes to almost a complete stop and will only use a few more % over the next 10+ years.

Worth noting that both of these limitations happen with internal combustion engines (ICE), it is just that people really do not put ICE through the microscope for lifecycle or efficiency like they do with EVs.

As far a maintenance & repairs - for Tesla, I would separate these. For maintenance, it is really not an issue because there is literally no maintenance. None (well, other than things like windshield wipers and cabin air filters). These care are very simple and efficient. As far as repairs, it is a bit of a pain living in SC - you have to go to GA (Savannah or ATL) or NC (Charlotte) for service, SC legislature is keeping Telas service centers out of the state.

What determines how long batteries last is not miles, it is battery cycles. Tesla batteries last 1,500 cycles. The 200K miles is a translation and it is the most conservative estimate. It basically assumes you drain and fully recharge the battery every day. Most real world use has the 1,500 cycles lasting most people between 300K-500K miles.

As far as range, almost all these batteries see a 10% degrade to range in the first 1-2 years. After that point, the degrade comes to almost a complete stop and will only use a few more % over the next 10+ years.

Worth noting that both of these limitations happen with internal combustion engines (ICE), it is just that people really do not put ICE through the microscope for lifecycle or efficiency like they do with EVs.

As far a maintenance & repairs - for Tesla, I would separate these. For maintenance, it is really not an issue because there is literally no maintenance. None (well, other than things like windshield wipers and cabin air filters). These care are very simple and efficient. As far as repairs, it is a bit of a pain living in SC - you have to go to GA (Savannah or ATL) or NC (Charlotte) for service, SC legislature is keeping Telas service centers out of the state.
Interesting.

By the math, the 250 mile range stated earlier has me charging every 2 days to stay above 50% (I drive right at 100 miles a day). So 1500 cycles x 200 miles/cycle = 300,000 miles. Not too bad.

The thing on IC engines is that there are so many mitigating factors - type of driving, maintenance performed, conditions, etc that you cannot accurately predict when an engine will go kabloowie. Might be 150K, might be 500K. It seems more like a hard number on the EVs. And once you have that number you start using it to measure the car's resale value. So the value is essentially linear (perception wise anyway).

ICEs kind of tail off in value loss. My opinion anyway. Plus engines can often be repaired when things go bad easier than a battery pack (which is something I wish they would fix).

How much is a full battery replacement on a Tesla?

Another interesting idea that came out years ago was the idea of buying the car, but renting the battery. That way if the battery does go, you aren't responsible for replacing it. But if they can reliably hit 300K miles or so, that might not be worth it. But it might make people feel better/allay nervousness.

I don't know that the legislature thing will change. EVs have become pretty polarizing. And TBH Biden didn't do them any favors the other day in that regard.

NOW - what I would NOT touch right now are these EV riding mowers. They don't have anywhere near the battery protection or controls that a EV car has. Plus they are expensive. Much less than an EV, but most people have less budget for their mower than they do their car (unless their priorities are REALLY fvcked up). The Ego that uses several 60V batteries might not be too bad as far as battery issues go.

Last edited:
Interesting.

By the math, the 250 mile range stated earlier has me charging every 2 days to stay above 50% (I drive right at 100 miles a day). So 1500 cycles x 200 miles/cycle = 300,000 miles. Not too bad.

The thing on IC engines is that there are so many mitigating factors - type of driving, maintenance performed, conditions, etc that you cannot accurately predict when an engine will go kabloowie. Might be 150K, might be 500K. It seems more like a hard number on the EVs. And once you have that number you start using it to measure the car's resale value. So the value is essentially linear (perception wise anyway).

ICEs kind of tail off in value loss. My opinion anyway. Plus engines can often be repaired when things go bad easier than a battery pack (which is something I wish they would fix).

How much is a full battery replacement on a Tesla?

Another interesting idea that came out years ago was the idea of buying the car, but renting the battery. That way if the battery does go, you aren't responsible for replacing it. But if they can reliably hit 300K miles or so, that might not be worth it. But it might make people feel better/allay nervousness.

I don't know that the legislature thing will change. EVs have become pretty polarizing. And TBH Biden didn't do them any favors the other day in that regard.

NOW - what I would NOT touch right now are these EV riding mowers. They don't have anywhere near the battery protection or controls that a EV car has. Plus they are expensive. Much less than an EV, but most people have less budget for their mower than they do their car (unless their priorities are REALLY fvcked up).
Depending on the model, a new battery will cost between $10,000-$20,000+

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT