ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive "tell"

JTJohnston

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2013
@Larry_Williams, thought you may find this interesting as it's a stat I've been keeping an eye on for a few years with Venables.

Before I go on, it's remarkable this happens as infrequently as it does and I love the job Venables does with our defense but there is a sign that a bad defensive day is coming when it occurs.

Since the start of the 2016 season, or the last 41 games, Clemson has given up only three opening drive touchdowns to opposing offenses. Obviously then we have denied TDs (or any points) in 38 of those 41 games (remarkably good). The interesting part is which games were the three:

'16 Pitt - touchdown on 5 play, 75 yard drive (worst defensive game of season);

'17 at Syracuse - touchdown on 10 play, 72 yard drive (worst defensive game of season);

'18 scar - touchdown on 12 play, 75 yard drive (worst defensive game of season to date).

I think Venables is relatable to an aggressive prize fighter who likes to box from his toes; when he is able to dictate terms early, few, if any, are better. BUT if he gets rocked out of the gate, he's on his heels immediately and really struggles to recover.

It's as if we either 1) have a great defensive gameplan and smother the opponent (happens often); 2) have a good defensive gameplan and are able to make a few adjustments to control the game (happens sometimes - I'd list the Duke game as one of these); or 3) have the wrong plan entirely (or get surprised), can't adjust and it's an offensive dam break for the opponent.

Thoughts on why we have such difficulty righting the ship after getting punched in the mouth with a first drive TD?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News