ADVERTISEMENT

Detailed Breakdown of Loooweville (Long):

clemsonu0219

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2007
THE GOOD (for Louisville)

When they’re on Offense
***Lamar Jackson is better than he was last year. Best player in CFB…not close IMO.
***#72 is their best OLmen IMO. They move him around some (LG and RG) and they pull him a good bit. He does tend to stand up too high in pass protection, which can leave him vulnerable.
***They love to use their TE’s as lead blockers for either QB Power or the little midline zone read play (similar to what we run). They’ll use 72 and their TE’s in that way.
***Their OL looks pretty bad against Purdue, IMO, b/c it was Purdue but they didn’t look horrible against UNC…that said…UNC is awful, especially on the DL. They gave LJ a good bit of time, a pocket, and that’s part of why he crushed them through the air. UNC played very base defense, didn’t send more than 4 that often at all. That said, I actually thought, in the first half, LJ actually stayed in the pocket TOO MUCH and should’ve ran more. It seems, this year, he tends to stay in the pocket when you send 3-4 and move when you send 5-6. Almost like that decision is made pre-snap. Overall, I think their OL is better than last year’s, by a little.
***I like their backup #29 (RB) coming out of the backfield. He can move well, catches the ball well. Definitely like him more than #7.

When they’re on Defense

***They have athletes and bodies. Their DLmen look the part. Their secondary is athletic. They are decent against the run, they get off blocks relatively well. They are 3rd in Run Defense (Yards/game). That said, their opponents have averaged the 3rd LEAST amount of run plays in the nation (meaning they’ve passed much more).
***I like #91 (SDE). I think he has a good motor and is capable of making some plays. #14 (DT) is a guy that comes off the ball well, plays strong. #99 (WDE) can make some plays. Their DL isn’t terrible.

THE BAD (for Louisville)

When they’re on Offense

***Absolutely no one jumps out on film, consistently, except LJ. #9 is capable of making some plays, they have some athletes, but they don’t have guys that are athletes and skilled/developed football players IMO. Their WR’s do catch the ball and they get open.
***Their center may be the worst we see all year, at this stage (Alec Eberle from FSU is another possible). That guy has to be shaking in his proverbial boots. He’s a RS Frosh so his best football is definitely ahead of him but I don’t know what he’s going to do against our interior DL. This might be this weeks version of Auburn’s RT. He gives effort though, no doubt.

When they’re on Defense

***Let’s see…they can’t get consistent pressure, they can’t cover (except 10), they can’t tackle, they take terrible angles. Not having #10 is really hurting them. He can easily shut down one side of the field. They need him back, badly. They are currently 110th in Pass Defense (yards/game) and they’ve played Purdue and UNC. They’re 67th in Yards/pass.
***#15 (CB) can run but he is very vulnerable, in my estimation. If they are without #10, our WR’s will be running wide open all day. Also, if they try and stack the box like Auburn did at times, oh my, that will not go well. Best guess is they run Cover 2, send 4, and mix it up with some exotic Zone Blitzes with LB’s and secondary about 10-15% of the snaps.

OTHER

***Louisville currently ranks 121st in Penalty Yards. That’s…not good.
***I think we break a kick or punt return

More later.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News