ADVERTISEMENT

Disparity in Middle Class Incomes

DieHard4Clemson

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2002
As I work from home today with strep throat, I was reading an article on the breakdown of income classes in the states, I'm don't feel like I agree with their numbers.

Should I say that I don't feel like I belong to the class these numbers suggest I do.

According to this article, Upper Class households have an income >$389,436.

Upper Middle Class household income is considered >$100,000 & <$350,000

Middle middle Class was something like $35,000 - $100,000.

Lower Middle class is just as confounding to me as they include incomes from $18,871 - $47,477.

Now maybe it's just me but the numbers in this article, from the Brookings Institution and Pew Research Center are too varying.

*All numbers are supposed to be considering a 3 person household*

The difference between that $35k and $100k is HUGE for a 3 person family, maybe even more than the gap between the thresholds declared for Upper Middle class homes.

I feel like I'm middle class, certainly not lower, but certainly not upper, despite what the research says.

This is particularly interesting to me as I think about the middle class shrinking, yet that number still includes incomes as low as $18,871 to be considered lower middle class.

How in the world can the family of 3 making less than $20k even remotely feel like they are in the same grouping as any of those other figures? http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News