ADVERTISEMENT

*** ECU now planning to cut several sports

Paul Strelow

Recruiting Analyst - Tigerillustrated.com
Jul 8, 2013
From the Raleigh News & Observer:

East Carolina University intends to cut one or more of the 20 sports it offers in an attempt to correct a $10 million budget deficit, the interim chancellor and athletic director confirmed at a special board meeting Monday.

ECU interim Chancellor Ron Mitchelson gave a report of a 10-person working group’s “Review of Athletics Fiscal Sustainability” at the virtual meeting. Reducing the number of sponsored sports was among the reports 10 recommendations, but athletic director Jon Gilbert would not say what sports would be cut or how many.

“The financial model is not sustainable,” Mitchelson said.

East Carolina last dropped a sport when it discontinued men’s soccer in 2005. It added women’s lacrosse as its 20th sponsored sport in 2016. The minimum number of sponsored sports in the American Athletic Conference is 16.

“This decision is really gut-wrenching for me personally,” Gilbert said. “It’s not something an athletic director wants to do. I understand the financial realities of where we are both athletically and as an institution. But really to respect the process as we go down that path, the individuals who are affected need to hear from me first.”

Other recommendations included a 10-20 percent across-the-board cut in expenses, less team travel via more regional scheduling and permanent institutional support of more than $4 million. Not considered: Leaving the AAC, which East Carolina joined in 2014.

“I am absolutely a fan of the American Conference and we need to be a member of the American Conference,” Mitchelson said. “It is clear to me it will take some level of institutional support so we can enjoy the benefits of rubbing elbows and being associated with some of the best universities in this country. I see value in that.”

In April, Gilbert said the department had a “fragile financial picture” and COVID-19 made matters worse. In a letter to ECU Pirates fans, he said they were “severely impacted” with the cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournament and spring sports schedules due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Gilbert said they anticipate revenue shortfalls in NCAA and AAC distributions, Pirate Club donations, corporate sponsorship, baseball and softball ticket sales, concessions and licensing revenue. And because of those losses, their deficit would grow by at least $5 million and they’d be forced to “reduce expenses significantly” this upcoming fiscal year, according to Gilbert.

The department had been working with the university to make ECU athletics more sustainable for the future and will continue to do that, which will be a “very painful process at times,” Gilbert said in the letter.

While in-person classes and spring sports were canceled because of the coronavirus, it’s unclear what the fall semester and season will look like at ECU. But the university has plans to bring students back to campus in the fall.

In fiscal year 2019, East Carolina’s athletic budget was $40.8 million. One key factor in the deficit: the poor performance of the football team and its impact on ticket sales. Season tickets declined from 19,050 in 2016 to 12,908 in 2018 and 14,063 in 2019. East Carolina has not made a bowl game since 2015.

Sort of an odd note thrown into a story about needing to cut sports that they just added another sport in 2016.

Reactions: tigerworx
Only the beginning, unfortunately. You'll see a steady stream of releases like this in the coming weeks/months.

Most businesses/organizations can't absorb a prolonged, total economic stoppage & zero revenue. Likewise with most American households. Bankruptcies are a major source of economic destruction.

I offered to eat crow if the shutdowns were needed. A few posters might need to go on the record and admit the cost of the shut down was greater than the virus.

I said this from day 1. We are heading towards a great depression. The whole concept of not wanting to work supported by govt individual bailouts is terrifying. It has created a cancer to our entire financial system

the loss of life and home will be catastrophic if we do not get on the right path

I said this from day 1. We are heading towards a great depression. The whole concept of not wanting to work supported by govt individual bailouts is terrifying. It has created a cancer to our entire financial system

the loss of life and home will be catastrophic if we do not get on the right path

We aren’t heading towards a Great Depression. I’ll give you credit though, since day 1 you haven’t backed down from thinking this is the end of the world. It’s not.

Lol

We wiped out all the jobs created over the last decade in 6 weeks.

Almost every bit of that by restaurants and the tourism industry, and sorry to say....low income jobs. When that reopens and gets going you get a lot of those job numbers back. This is not some financial crisis. This is because of the virus.

Sorry man, it’s not the great depression.

Would some of you consider the term "Medium Depression"?

Much too easy for anyone to discount this being a repeat of the 'Great Depression'.

But, just like @Cris_Ard alluded........'You ain't seen nothing yet'

Don't worry.
There will be a name for it. Some clever media types will supply.
History will know it well.

History will know it was anything but 'well'.

It’s still mind blowing that we let the media and the Dems spread this fear! They have destroyed a great economy and ruined millions of lives. I know the economy will come back but it stinks to see so many people suffer, when it was so unnecessary!!

The Democrats will not stop until they figure out a way to let Sleepy Joe win

it’s awful
I absolutely could get on board with this conspiracy theory ... BUT ... here’s is why I can’t

1) it’s a pandemic that is affecting the entire Globe. Due to the business I’m in, I know folks on every continent and virtually in any country that has a functional airport. Would those foreign governments willingly tank their economies Just to get Trump out of office?
2) if there is one thing I have learned about the 1% it’s that they don’t lose money. Billionaires are losing billions. I mean ... shit .... oil is cheaper than water.

That just doesnt make any sense ...

Almost every bit of that by restaurants and the tourism industry, and sorry to say....low income jobs. When that reopens and gets going you get a lot of those job numbers back. This is not some financial crisis. This is because of the virus.

Sorry man, it’s not the great depression.
Typically I like your posts but I have to disagree with you on this one. I’m a small business owner and I meet with other business owners every week from wide ranging industries. This is NOT only affecting the ones you listed. It’s affecting most of them. A few haven’t seen any changes.

My concern is July when we start to see a 2nd lay-off wave. We received the PPL and our employees still have to be on record then for the loan. No penalty if we let them go 7-1-2020

My business partner and I had discussions about layoffs in July just yesterday. And we’re not the only ones. People we personally know were laid off really good paying jobs of 20+ years because of this. You can’t just flip a switch and everything is back.

Our biggest concern is the unknown. What if we do indeed have a Covid resurgence and everyone is told to stay home AGAIN. The economy can’t take that.

Reactions: GoodWord28
Typically I like your posts but I have to disagree with you on this one. I’m a small business owner and I meet with other business owners every week from wide ranging industries. This is NOT only affecting the ones you listed. It’s affecting most of them. A few haven’t seen any changes.

My concern is July when we start to see a 2nd lay-off wave. We received the PPL and our employees still have to be on record then for the loan. No penalty if we let them go 7-1-2020

My business partner and I had discussions about layoffs in July just yesterday. And we’re not the only ones. People we personally know were laid off really good paying jobs of 20+ years because of this. You can’t just flip a switch and everything is back.

Our biggest concern is the unknown. What if we do indeed have a Covid resurgence and everyone is told to stay home AGAIN. The economy can’t take that.

I agree with you, especially the last paragraph. I know it’s not only tourism, but tourism and restaurants overall have been the ones suffering the most without a doubt. Those jobs can come back fast. Some of the others unnamed you mentioned won’t come back as fast.

Reactions: harristeeter

Also, to your point in your last paragraph. I don’t care what happens with the second wave the media and liberals keep mentioning. You don’t shut down the economy, re-open it and then shut it back down, no matter what. I don’t care if 100,000 people die in 15 days.

Could’ve sworn that the leader of the shutdown is a republican.

That’s where you’re wrong. Trump is leaving it up to the states. No shocker that the dem states want to keep lockdown as long as possible to make citizens dependent on the government.

Republican states are opening and ready to fight for the American way of life. Our founders and every war veteran didn’t fight for people to curl up in fear when facing adversity. This shutdown is right out of the liberal playbook to addict its citizens to the government teet and to influence negatively during an election year.

Reactions: Trading Tiger
the game plan must be to fight back against their plan.

pelosi and her band of nitwits are attempting to keep the economy shut down until after the election.

they feel that if they can make us miserable and hopeless that we will fall to their knees and ask them to lead us out of this mess.

they are willing to let you go hungry to win an election.

last time they attempted a coup.

Last edited:
How can you not see that Dems are exploiting this for political gain? If you can’t see it then you are very naive and deserve to be a government-controlled minion.

Reactions: PawsFan_
That’s where you’re wrong. Trump is leaving it up to the states. No shocker that the dem states want to keep lockdown as long as possible to make citizens dependent on the government.

Republican states are opening and ready to fight for the American way of life. Our founders and every war veteran didn’t fight for people to curl up in fear when facing adversity. This shutdown is right out of the liberal playbook to addict its citizens to the government teet and to influence negatively during an election year.

Yes, yes. it was Pelosi's White House Coronavirus task force that introduced the 15 days to slow the spread guidelines. It was Pelosi's same task force that changed that to 30 days. It was Pelosi's white house task force that introduced guidelines for reopening (guidelines that very few states have met as of today). It was Pelosi who stood in front of a mic and said she "totally disagreed" with Kemp's decision to open early.

Damn that Pelosi and her VP Pence and their damn task force. We should vote them out.

How can you not see that Dems are exploiting this for political gain? If you can’t see it then you are very naive and deserve to be a government-controlled minion.

It is disgusting when a political party exploits a national pandemic threat for political gain.

Pelosi doesn’t know what day it is. All her facelifts have pulled her vagina into her brain. She is same one that was inviting everyone to ChinaTown during early days of this and said no risk to anyone. Now, she’s done a 180 because she sees blood in the political waters and wants to destroy all she can to win an election. That’s just the brief. Much more

I wish we could do a social experiment. Put the libs/Dems in one half of the country and the Reps in the other. Compare every 6 months and see who is more prosperous and who is addicted to government programs.

Reactions: harristeeter
its crazy how she can go to china town and call trump a racist for taking the first steps to close the country.

she is such a liar.

most of trumps lies are jokes or for exaggeration.

her lies are to trick you.

I wish we could do a social experiment. Put the libs/Dems in one half of the country and the Reps in the other. Compare every 6 months and see who is more prosperous and who is addicted to government programs.

kinda been done.

just take a list of the worst 25 cities to live in and or have budget shortfalls.

9 out of 10 have been ran by democrats for more than 75% of the time.

just ask your neighbors in the carolinas who moved from them.

Speaking of government programs. Stimulus Package signed be literally every republican in DC. Largest one ever. Hmmmmm

yikes, I dont know what is more troubling... that you believe this or that you are a moderator on the site.

simply follow the numbers...take a look at the facts, take a look at the stimulus packages and what Democrats are demanding and you decide if they want to help you.

and what does moderator have to do with anything? You realize I’m not on staff and I’m not paid to do it.

Speaking of government programs. Stimulus Package signed be literally every republican in DC. Largest one ever. Hmmmmm

national emergency

and the bill was grants and LOANS

and pelosi only got a few billion for waste.

this next plan, she loaded it up with waste, knows it will be stripped to necessities only --BUT BUYS BIDEN 2-3 MORE WEEKS CLOSER TO ELECTION.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT