ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations Versus Reality

Just][V][e

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2011
I think some people need to understand what Clemson is, and what we have been historically. As Bill Parcells says, "You are what the scoreboard says you are.".

We have gotten to this point where we believe we are some college football powerhouse, but by all metrics, that isn't what we are, and we never have been. The success we found under Dabo is an anomalism, and we were fortunate to hire someone that was truly inspirational. We are never going to have the pockets that the true powerhouse programs (Ohio St., Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, etc.) have, because compared to them we have a relatively small alumni base, and we are also relatively poor. That is just a fact. We have had two instances in the entire history of Clemson football that we were at the top. Those years are the exceptions and not the rules.

I am not saying you shouldn't want the best and want to be the best, but some of you on here think that if you just did X and Y, we would just be the top dog no matter what. This isn't true. In a dollars and cents world, we are heavily disadvantaged when speaking of the top 12. Playoffs should be the goal, as you give yourself a chance if you gain entry. Regardless of what coach you place in there, they are going to have to find a way to overcome that disadvantage.

So, for the people criticizing the approach. The largest disadvantage we face as a program is the dollar. Start writing checks. That is how you can help. If you are able to, but unwilling to do that (and in despair), you are just wanting to criticize how the rope is being pulled while standing on the sideline to vicariously collect the Dole of other peoples' work and sacrifice. For those that can't write checks (which is most), that is fine, and you can still criticize and talk, but some people's heads are floating off their body. This is going to be a difficult transition for our program, regardless of who is in charge, because they just can't print money. I am sure I will be flamed, but this is the truth.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.