ADVERTISEMENT

Experience still matters...

Tiger Guru

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2007
Over the last few days, I've been wondering just how experienced these playoff teams are, compared to us. We all know that Jimmie's and Joe's really matter, and you have to have talent. But what about experience? I don't hear people talk about it often, but it's really intrigued me and I decided to take a look at the 4 playoff teams and compare them to us.

I googled all 5 teams starting lineup. This includes PT, PK, KO and LS as well, so those 4 are also lumped in here. These are the starters on each team and what level of college they are in.

UGA:
SR- 10
JR- 5
SO- 9
FR- 2

TCU:
SR- 16
JR- 10
SO- 1
FR- 1

Michigan:
SR- 3
JR- 9
SO- 2
FR- 2
Redshirt FR- 1
Graduates**- 8

Ohio State:
SR- 3
JR- 6
SO- 3
FR- 0
Redshirt FR- 9
Graduates**- 5

Clemson:
SR- 2
JR- 4
SO- 8
FR- 3
Redshirt FR- 1
Graduates**- 2

I don't think it's coincidence that the two teams playing in the Championship game seem to be the most experienced teams. We on the other hand, are a very young team in comparison. There are only 5 true freshmen starting between the 4 playoffs teams. We have 3 starting for us and 2 of them are our best offensive players and one is the most important position on the field, QB. You simply can't win in college with a bunch a guys who are still 18 and 19 years old. There's a big difference in SR and JR's much less Freshman and I don't think we talk about it enough.

Going forward, I think when Paul asks what questions we have coming out of Spring Practice, I'm going to start with "What JR's and SR's are contributing to this lineup and how many are there?'

A year difference is massive even in CFB.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News