ADVERTISEMENT

Fall baseball scrimmage

clintontiger1

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2011
Just thought I would give a opinion on what I saw today at the orange/purple scrimmage that I believe the purple won 5-4 in seven. Higginbotham started for the orange and the velo looked good for the lefty and his offspeed was serviceable but the problem was his command, he kept falling behind in almost every count and gave up I believe 3 runs in the process. Overall a lot to like out of the sophmore. Ryan Miller started for the purple and was the better looking pitcher of the two with a plus size fastball. Don't remember anything bad except giving up a 3 run bomb to Davidson. Spiers pitched as well and looks like a mid-week pitcher to me. Struggled today with control. Hennessy looked the same so not much to say there. A freshman that I would love to see more of was the tall lefty Bryce Bowen out of Georgia. Very nice fastball, saw a little bit of offspeed but his fastball was tough for the tiger hitters that faced him. Looks like a nice addition to the bullpen. The second freshman that shows promise is another big guy the 6'8 righty out of California. Probably hitting mid 90's but showed some command issues so he was pulled rather quickly but the tools and arm are there to be a stud closer. Riley came in to close things out and man that curve was looking nasty along with the low 90's fastball.

A little review of the position players. First off I don't know if Kier is in the doghouse, injured or what but he didn't play, so no review. I sure hope it's not a injury because if he isn't in our outfield we might be in a little trouble. We don't have any pure outfielders that can just go get the ball. All of them look slow. Weatherly I hope is a good pitcher because he isn't a outfielder although he was starting in left field. He misplayed a sharply hit ball that went off his glove and then through a ball about 50 feet wide of the plate on a throw to home, but I know he is suppose to be good on the mound so maybe that was just temporary. Elijah Henderson was probably the best of the freshman, although very small he showed good bat control and found himself on base numerous times. He is a fast runner and stole I think two bases. Plays a good 3rd base and would be surprised if he isn't starting on opening day. Jordan Greene was a pleasant surprise at second as he had very good range on a few balls and looks smooth turning the double play. If Kyle Wilkie gets hurt behind the plate it isn't going to be pretty, thats all I will say. Justin Hawkins and Kris Williams or going to lead the ACC in one category, unfortunately I'm not sure which one. It will either be HR's or SO's. These two or ferocious swingers that are intimidating up there but didn't do much today. Logan had a 3run HR and just looked comfortable up there. Beer still seems to be thinking to much to me. Didn't have a good day and just doesn't look comfortable. Well that's all I can remember at this time. Thanks for reading.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News