ADVERTISEMENT

Fauci says he would “almost like to clone”

Fauci praises South Carolina’s coronavirus response as one he would ‘almost want to clone’

1 of 2

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, speaks remotely during a virtual Senate Committee for Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions hearing, Tuesday, May 12, 2020, on Capitol Hill in Washington. Win McNamee/AP

• Win McNamee

FILE - In this April 22, 2020, file photo, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, speaks about the new coronavirus in the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House, in Washington. A Senate hearing on reopening workplaces and schools safely is turning into a teaching moment on the fickle nature of the coronavirus outbreak. Senior health officials, including Fauci, scheduled to testify in person before the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee on Tuesday, May 12 will instead appear via video link.

• Alex Brandon

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert who has become a key figure in the federal response to the coronavirus pandemic, praised South Carolina for its handling of the virus as it prepares to further relax its restrictions next week.

“You have put things in place that I think would optimize your capability of reopening,” Fauci said Tuesday during a Senate health committee meeting.

He characterized South Carolina’s response as something he would “almost want to clone.”

The laudatory comment came after U.S. Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., posed a question nearly three hours into a hearing before the Republican-led Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.

The panel was titled “COVID-19: Safely Getting Back to Work and Back to School.”

Scott’s question to Fauci began as a monologue in which Scott summarized efforts made in the Palmetto State thus far to address the novel coronavirus, where state health officials on Monday confirmed a total of 7,792 cases and 346 fatalities.

“Our hospital capacity is actually better now than it was when the pandemic started,” Scott claimed.

While the coronavirus pandemic has caused the number of patients in hospitals to decline, reports show it has also pushed many health systems in South Carolina to the financial brink.

COVID-19
Coronavirus may be pushing some SC hospitals closer to the brink

Scott said the state did not set out with the goal of preventing every fatality from the virus.

“That would be unrealistic. It is impossible,” Scott said.

Scott added the state did not set out to implement quarantine directives meant to last until there was a vaccine in place.

“That would take too long,” he said.

The best of health, hospital and science coverage in South Carolina, delivered to your inbox weekly.
Email

Scott highlighted recent efforts by the state to obtain more contact tracers, who are individuals tasked with determining the spread of the virus.

He emphasized the state plans to test 100 percent of nursing homes and staff members that take care of nursing home residents by the end of this month.

“While I respect the need for caution, we are too often presented with a false dichotomy of either saving our economy or saving lives,” Scott said.

Then, he asked Fauci his question: “What else would you suggest that we could do to protect our most vulnerable populations?”

Fauci offered no objections to the rosy picture Scott described, even though experts have warned South Carolina must dramatically ramp up its efforts to detect new cases of COVID-19 and stop its spread.

“You gave a really very eloquent description of what I think would be a model way to approach this,” Fauci said.

COVID-19
As South Carolina restaurants reopen, workers are left in a tough spot
  • By David Clarey

Fauci said South Carolina appears ready to “progress carefully” with its reopening plans, but he still urged caution. The state needs to keep its most vulnerable populations in mind as it begins relaxing its restrictions, he said, particularly the elderly, individuals with underlying conditions and minority groups.

“Protect them right up until the very end of the relaxation of your mitigation,” Fauci said.

The comments were a contrast to the sharp warning Fauci issued at the beginning of the hearing, when he said opening too soon would cause “some suffering and death that could be avoided, but could even set you back on the road to try to get economic recovery.”

Fauci, a member of the coronavirus task force charged with shaping the response to COVID-19, testified via video conference after self-quarantining as a White House staffer tested positive for the virus.

EDIT: above poster beat me to it.

With that said I'm not really sure what element he's referring to. The hospital capacity improvements?

EDIT: above poster beat me to it.

With that said I'm not really sure what element he's referring to. The hospital capacity improvements?

Think he was referring to pretty much everything Scott laid out as far as the measures SC is taking, but i think the biggest key was that (according to Scott), SC is putting a focus on the vulnerable population, specifically nursing homes. I believe he said they would be testing 100 percent of the residents and employees of nursing homes by the end of the month.

If you are interested in the full exchange to draw your own conclusions, I've tried to link below. Senator Scott is around the 2hr 45 min mark. I thought he used his time wisely. The headlines going in and coming out of this hearing are that Fauci is that there will be serious consequences if they open too quickly". All states aren't in the position. Scott laid out what SC has done and will do. He detailed the expectations of "flattening the curve" while showing compassion for the victims of the virus. He pretty much got Fauci's buy-in on what SC is doing and will do. He ended by making sure he hit on the fact that he has had personal conversations with Fauci. I'm a North Carolina resident, but I thought Scott represented South Carolina well today and showed that South Carolina is ready to progress with re-opening (carefully).

SC has had an unbelievable plan from day 1...all hospitals, post acute and SCDHEC have worked together since early February.

States that have had a good plan have not seen outbreak. States and areas that have been more obsessed with making this political have skewed the numbers.

I’ve been on calls almost weekly (state and national organizations and our company) and get emails from SCDHEC regularly in regards to this shit.

Also, Tim Scott is a boss...I remember hearing him speak in Charleston at our church when no one really knew who he was and being incredibly impressed. Didn’t know until after he spoke he was in politics. Told my wife I was gonna follow him and man he makes our state proud.

He didn’t see the beaches in Garden City this weekend. Lol
How many people died on the beaches of Garden City this weekend?
I bet it looked like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. People dying everywhere.
Or maybe this?
ac094426886489baed0f242441c379e1.jpg

Last edited:
What makes Fauci a fraud? I’m not debating you at all, I just haven’t heard anyone say negative things about him until this - so what’s the Fauci-is-a-fraud about & when did it start?

he’s kind of been all over the board but again...with a new virus and new situation no one knows what’s right and wrong. Have to learn and adapt.

But he’s been the Phil Steele if predictions...eventually one of them is gonna be right

he’s kind of been all over the board but again...with a new virus and new situation no one knows what’s right and wrong. Have to learn and adapt.

But he’s been the Phil Steele if predictions...eventually one of them is gonna be right
So he’s made a lot of incorrect predictions?

Reactions: nmerritt11
How many people died on the beaches of Garden City this weekend?
I bet it looked like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. People dying everywhere.
I didn’t have a problem with it. Good God!! I was just making a joke that Fauci and the left wouldn’t have liked it.

Reactions: ogtiger41

Has he? His thoughts on the virus have changed as our knowledge of the virus has evolved. He has been the only one who has told us straight. You have other scientists out there bowing to the will/priorities of the President, not this man.

Rand Paul is a hack eye doctor trying to make a name for him by insult people much smarter than him. We should be grateful that Fauci is still willing to help our country and put up with politicians' BS at age 79.

Fauci is supposed to provide his scientific advice to the President, who should also receive political and economic advice from other advisors. The President then is supposed to make the right decisions for the Country, based on all this information. i think folks are misunderstanding what Fauci's role is.

Reactions: 88MechEng

Fauci seems like he's been a pretty straight shooter to me. As you say, we've been gathering additional data out of a firehose throughout the hole process so I'm sure there has been some adjustments made, but he called a 1% mortality rate early on, which was lower than what the WHO predicted and seems to be pretty close to the numbers coming out of New York (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top...outbreak-is-going-to-get-worse-in-the-us.html). Since early April, I think he's been predicting about 100,000 to 240,000 deaths (see article below) which appears to be where we are headed with 83,000 deaths so far.

I'm sure he's not perfect, but it's sad that he has become the target of so many conservatives ire even getting death threats from some of the far-right crazies (https://www.foxnews.com/us/fauci-coronavirus-expert-security-protective-detail-death-threats). Props to Tim Scott for staying above the fray as usual and encouraging answers from Fauci regarding SC.

Again...I’m not bashing Fauci...I’m simply stating he’s been all over the board as has everyone. That’s why I refuse to make it political.

I guess because I have more info than most as I have been on calls with every government organization and watch this unfold since early February my views are skewed.

fact is the states and areas that didn’t have detailed plans and preparation in place are now the states and areas on the front line pointing fingers at Trump and dominate the numbers. That’s not political...that’s fact.

I was on calls with DHEC, HHS, CMS, listening to plans, question and answering sessions, etc. on a national level

I was on local SCDHEC calls...it was obvious that SC was working together from day 1. All hospitals, post acute organizations, etc were trying to help and get on same page. Sharing ideas, sharing where they were in process’ and at least attempting to communicate through this

Fauci has been very good at being political and has been thorough in interviews all along and very careful by using “at this time...”

That’s what has saved his credibility. He can always go back and say he was speaking in the moment which is smart and covers his words and actions.

As I say and had a drink with an RN yesterday we had differing opinions on some things but the constant is in medicine when something is new, there are no right answers and no right direction. You kind of have to lay out a road map and there may be detours

People bashed SC and McMaster and now maybe he had it right all along. Too early to tell but just maybe he believed in the medical people around him and the plans the state hospitals and healthcare community put into place?

So when are we opening gyms? I'm looking like Dallas Buyers CLub at the moment..

Has he? His thoughts on the virus have changed as our knowledge of the virus has evolved. He has been the only one who has told us straight. You have other scientists out there bowing to the will/priorities of the President, not this man.

Rand Paul is a hack eye doctor trying to make a name for him by insult people much smarter than him. We should be grateful that Fauci is still willing to help our country and put up with politicians' BS at age 79.

Fauci is supposed to provide his scientific advice to the President, who should also receive political and economic advice from other advisors. The President then is supposed to make the right decisions for the Country, based on all this information. i think folks are misunderstanding what Fauci's role is.

Yes Trumps job is to gather info from all available sources and report and make decisions. Another conversation we had yesterday about McMaster and Trump but when they make a decision it is not their decision solely.

all great CEOs will sit in a room, gather data, and then make a decision they feel comfortable with. Most of the time that decision is agreed upon by majority in the room. Fauci is just one voice and one opinion in the matter.

Fact is when a decision is made on something no one has seen or done before there is no right and wrong.

I’ve been steadfast the hysteria didn’t match the outcomes from day 1. I still believe that. I even told someone that because I’ve been so head strong I’ll probably end up dying of this thing. It is what it is

Yes Trumps job is to gather info from all available sources and report and make decisions. Another conversation we had yesterday about McMaster and Trump but when they make a decision it is not their decision solely.

all great CEOs will sit in a room, gather data, and then make a decision they feel comfortable with. Most of the time that decision is agreed upon by majority in the room. Fauci is just one voice and one opinion in the matter.

Fact is when a decision is made on something no one has seen or done before there is no right and wrong.

I’ve been steadfast the hysteria didn’t match the outcomes from day 1. I still believe that. I even told someone that because I’ve been so head strong I’ll probably end up dying of this thing. It is what it is

so you're saying Fauci has "been all over the board" or that he has evolved appropriately as we have learned more about the virus?? Good to hear you've been right from the start...

Reactions: undertheradar
that’s the thing...this has nothing to do with politics. The states making it political are the ones that know the only way to beat Trump is to shut the economy down
Bullshit! Ridiculous but you are following the company line. No one wants to shut down their state as it hurts them as well. No one has made this more political than Trump. No one! All he cares about is how this makes him look.

Reactions: CLEMSON96JDH
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT