ADVERTISEMENT

Flag Football Coaching - Advice Needed

CU Alumnus

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2007
My son has decided to play flag football through the rec department this year. For some reason I volunteered to coach.

Anyway, I need some advice. The team is a 14U team but I'm not sure of a few things:

Offense - how complicated should I get? We cannot run the ball and the defense cannot rush the passer, so basically it is all throws. I can make the 'route tree' as simple or as complicated as I want to. Right now I've got three formations in mind and a few different plays, but honestly the different routes are, in a lot of cases, just 'different to be different.'

Probably looking at some sort of 5 wide formation with a QB and a flanker either beside him or behind him. The idea is to make the flanker difficult to set up on ahead of time. Rules are 3 on the LOS and and 4 off.

May also run a stack formation.

Should I use a man in motion or is that overthinking it?

Defense - with the QB run threat taken away we basically are looking at a 7 guys to cover 6 guys. So sounds like a man coverage with a deep safety. Is that a normal way to handle it? Not sure what else I can do honestly.

What is the best way to get the plays in? Wristbands, send in with a WR, something else?

Whatever we do I have 5 practices to get it installed. Last night was learning pass routes and some defense. I could come up with some high-level stuff but I worry that if it gets too complicated, execution will suffer. And execution is the name of the game. But I don't want to get too simple either.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News