Florida State to examine name of Doak Campbell Stadium after calls for change

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
FSU to examine name of Doak Campbell Stadium after calls for change
By: Ira Schoffel - Warchant.com

As it did three years ago when concerns were raised about the name of its College of Law building and other structures on campus, Florida State University is going to take a closer look at whether the school's high-profile football stadium should continue to bear the name of Doak S. Campbell.

FSU President John Thrasher announced his decision on Monday, saying that he is going to have athletics director David Coburn review the issue and make a recommendation.

Campbell, who served as university president from 1941-57 and oversaw the transition from Florida State College for Women to The Florida State University, is credited with leading the effort to have the stadium constructed in 1950.

bx4qsavv0kdxhz6huq6h

Late last week, an online petition was started by former FSU football player Kendrick Scott, calling for Campbell's name to be removed from the stadium because he reportedly supported segregationist views during his tenure. As of early Monday afternoon, the petition had been signed about 2,100 times.

“I have been following with great interest the petitions circulating on social media asserting that Doak S. Campbell, FSU’s president in 1947 during its transition from the Florida State College for Women, resisted integration and asking that the stadium no longer bear his name," Thrasher posted on his personal Twitter account. "I have asked Athletics Director David Coburn to immediately review this issue and make recommendations to me. I look forward to receiving his report soon.”

After a period of racial unrest in 2017, Thrasher commissioned a panel of students, faculty, staff and alumni, "to examine and make recommendations on current university policies concerning campus names and markers, including statues and other recognitions."

As a result of that panel's research, Thrasher decided in 2018 to ask the Florida Legislature to remove B.K. Roberts' name from the College of Law Building. In announcing the decision, Thrasher explained that FSU wrestled with Roberts' "complicated legacy."

While praising Roberts for helping establish FSU's law school and also being one of the primary "architects" for the state's public defender program, the school also cited some of his pro-segregation opinions while serving on the Florida Supreme Court in the 1950s.

FSU also followed the panel's recommendations by deciding to remove the Francis Eppes statue from Westcott Plaza. Eppes, who has been credited with helping establish the institutions that led to FSU being located in Tallahassee, was a grandson of Thomas Jefferson and also a slave owner in the 1800s.

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!
g2qchpssqpgluzgnioze

FSU to examine name of Doak Campbell Stadium after calls for change
By: Ira Schoffel - Warchant.com

As it did three years ago when concerns were raised about the name of its College of Law building and other structures on campus, Florida State University is going to take a closer look at whether the school's high-profile football stadium should continue to bear the name of Doak S. Campbell.

FSU President John Thrasher announced his decision on Monday, saying that he is going to have athletics director David Coburn review the issue and make a recommendation.

Campbell, who served as university president from 1941-57 and oversaw the transition from Florida State College for Women to The Florida State University, is credited with leading the effort to have the stadium constructed in 1950.

bx4qsavv0kdxhz6huq6h

Late last week, an online petition was started by former FSU football player Kendrick Scott, calling for Campbell's name to be removed from the stadium because he reportedly supported segregationist views during his tenure. As of early Monday afternoon, the petition had been signed about 2,100 times.

“I have been following with great interest the petitions circulating on social media asserting that Doak S. Campbell, FSU’s president in 1947 during its transition from the Florida State College for Women, resisted integration and asking that the stadium no longer bear his name," Thrasher posted on his personal Twitter account. "I have asked Athletics Director David Coburn to immediately review this issue and make recommendations to me. I look forward to receiving his report soon.”

After a period of racial unrest in 2017, Thrasher commissioned a panel of students, faculty, staff and alumni, "to examine and make recommendations on current university policies concerning campus names and markers, including statues and other recognitions."

As a result of that panel's research, Thrasher decided in 2018 to ask the Florida Legislature to remove B.K. Roberts' name from the College of Law Building. In announcing the decision, Thrasher explained that FSU wrestled with Roberts' "complicated legacy."

While praising Roberts for helping establish FSU's law school and also being one of the primary "architects" for the state's public defender program, the school also cited some of his pro-segregation opinions while serving on the Florida Supreme Court in the 1950s.

FSU also followed the panel's recommendations by deciding to remove the Francis Eppes statue from Westcott Plaza. Eppes, who has been credited with helping establish the institutions that led to FSU being located in Tallahassee, was a grandson of Thomas Jefferson and also a slave owner in the 1800s.

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!
g2qchpssqpgluzgnioze
'Doak S Campbell was strongly opposed to the admission of African-American students to Florida State University.

Campbell was well known for demanding deference from the campus community, as he suppressed the liberal editorial policy of the semi-weekly Florida Flambeau newspaper, and refused to tolerate any breach of racial segregation. He forced the campus chapter of the American Association of University Professors to cancel a regional conference at FSU when he learned that black faculty members from the neighboring Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University planned to attend.

Campbell also attempted to ban student participation at pro-integration meetings, as well as to prohibit the school newspaper, the Flambeau, from writing about racial segregation.'

Reactions: TICrack
I guess we may have to change the name of Clemson's Memorial Stadium. It seems that group thinks memorials are racist, since they are defacing and tearing many of them down.

I feel quite sure that Mr. Williams or Brice (Williams-Brice) probably were racists?

I guess we may have to change the name of Clemson's Memorial Stadium. It seems that group thinks memorials are racist, since they are defacing and tearing many of them down.

I feel quite sure that Mr. Williams or Brice (Williams-Brice) probably were racists?
This is one of the stupidest things you have posted.

This is one of the stupidest things you have posted.

No, what is stupid is that you don't recognize satire!!! :eek: Second, you probably hadn't read many of my posts, because that is not near the stupidest post I ever made, even if I meant it. :confused: Well maybe that one is the stupidest??? :D

Now I'll hang up and wait for a callback...:rolleyes:

Reactions: matthewstigers
Thank goodness Clemson named the stadium Memorial for all those that gave their lives for our country.

just curious any need to change Willy Bs name?

Not saying I care if they change the name, but seriously when and where does this cancel culture stop?
This is the thing that gets me. You say when should it stop. The answer is after the civil war. We wouldn't have to rename all these buildings and remove all these monuments if people did the right thing during there time. Slavery was never okay. Jim Crow laws was never okay. Segregation was never okay. If you ask me it could've been stopped a long time ago.
Now we have people complaining about a building name. If you had the choice to be black before 1960 or change a building name today you wouldn't be asking this when does it stop question.

Ironic...currently 80,000 people do The Chop which seemingly all but 1 Indian tribe has called offensive, but the name of dead guy with views from 60 years ago is too much for their sensibilities.

No complicated legacies allowed. Only the pristine, as judged by an ever changing point of view either right now or in the future.

Reactions: CUFam98
Not saying I care if they change the name, but seriously when and where does this cancel culture stop?
When pink pigs fly. I try to understand what argument you could have with someone in the past to make present day change that would make sense at that time. Not a freaking thing. The only way you change habits and views is through time. Old views die.

What's the damn argument... you should have known in 1779 that slavery was evil?
I have questions that I want answers to and the least of which is when both races have the balls to sit at the table and get fvcking real? When will police understand it's their union causing the big picture problem of police brutality? When can we talk seriously about welfare and getting people off of it(this question is inclusive of all races)? When will it become evident that project housing became prisons instead of homes?

Let's hope the ultra right militias have learned patience and the ability to turn the other cheek.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
This is the thing that gets me. You say when should it stop. The answer is after the civil war. We wouldn't have to rename all these buildings and remove all these monuments if people did the right thing during there time. Slavery was never okay. Jim Crow laws was never okay. Segregation was never okay. If you ask me it could've been stopped a long time ago.
Now we have people complaining about a building name. If you had the choice to be black before 1960 or change a building name today you wouldn't be asking this when does it stop question.
After the Civil War, obviously it would've been nice if there was never any Jim Crow or never any de jure segregation. It would've been nice if people would've stopped bringing enslaved Africans to the US to do agricultural and other labor as they attempted to subdue the land. Those things did, unfortunately, happen, and they have a complicated history associated with them, even if we can see things pretty clearly morally from our point of view in the future.

We didn't get to the point where we can generally see things a little more clearly now without a number of things happening in the past, one of which was bringing the southern states back into the Union, and treating the rebels like prodigal sons of the Union rather than like perpetual traitors. Part of that was allowing the south to honor its dead and to honor its own heroes. That's part of why you saw people like Lee honored, and why there are and were memorials to Confederates erected in the late century. It was a part of the process of bringing a segment of Americans back into the United States peacefully by allowing them to have some measure of dignity. And it was a live issue at the time, as some wanted the south to be punished harshly. Lincoln was on the side of dignity for the south, though.

Obviously, other memorials and statues were erected as clear signals of white supremacy as black people gained rights. Some of the people honored don't seem to have any other legacy other than one of advancing white supremacy. It seems pretty clear that those statues and memorials never should've been erected, and should've been gone a long time ago.

But it might be the case that many of these public displays were put up for something ostensibly unrelated to race, like, say, founding a school, or being the Vice President. People may not have been as concerned with race as we are now when they decided to honor these people. That doesn't mean we should continue to honor those people, since what we care about now might be different from what people cared about in the past. We obviously need to be more sensitive to minority views than people may have been in the past. But the meaning of honoring some of these complicated people doesn't have to be simply boiled down to however they were involved in the long struggle for racial justice. In our current spirit of iconoclasm, let's not forget that race isn't the only thing that matters.

The reality is nobody is going to touch those accusations because he’s black. The script has been flipped and that’s almost as dangerous.
I'd argue it's less that he's black than that what's animating our current iconoclasm is race, rather than sex. The way a historical figure interacted with our current ideas about race is what really counts, not whether he was a philanderer, a "homophobe," a great patriot, someone who contributed greatly to society, or someone whose character was heroic. Arguably, that's the way it should be. But it doesn't leave a lot of room for lasting public displays.

I regret the need to take public action to demonstrate that most 21st century Americans regret the bad things that happened in our past. I regret that the loss of ~450,000 lives in the civil war fought over 150 years ago over slavery was only the first step in righting the wrongs of the seemingly distant past.

But I am living white southern man whose parents and grandparents supported a state and federal government content to treat black Americans as barely second class people ineligible to fully experience life in America. I went to white only public schools in SC. I attended Clemson, a public college in my home state, when no black athlete had ever been allowed to play sports as a Tiger.

With that prelude as a backstop, when a black man is killed at the hands of our government in circumstances most reasonable people regret, and our black friends and fellow citizens scream over the ordeal their race has endured in our country for generations, I want to make amends. I want to do more to admit our past was wrong, that we wish it had not happened as it did, and we deplore that part of our past completely. I want to do that so that my great grandchildren know where I stood on the issue of race.

While I admire the valor of badly led white boys charging cannons on Cemetery Ridge for their homeland, I want to say, "It was wrong." For the Doak Campbells, George Wallaces, and Strom Thurmonds of my youth, I want to say, "They do not represent me." Take such names down as honored men.

Take them down for Dennis, Anthony, Stick, Mamie, Johnny, Gene, and Rose and the other black Americans who have been important in my life. Take those names of long dead white people who lived at a bad time down for Travis, Deshaun, Homer, Horace, Tree, Barbara, The Judge, Lester, Boogie, James, CJ, The Fridge, Michael Dean, and hundreds more. Take the names down to say "We hate how it was."

The ask is pretty small.

I regret the need to take public action to demonstrate that most 21st century Americans regret the bad things that happened in our past. I regret that the loss of ~450,000 lives in the civil war fought over 150 years ago over slavery was only the first step in righting the wrongs of the seemingly distant past.

But I am living white southern man whose parents and grandparents supported a state and federal government content to treat black Americans as barely second class people ineligible to fully experience life in America. I went to white only public schools in SC. I attended Clemson, a public college in my home state, when no black athlete had ever been allowed to play sports as a Tiger.

With that prelude as a backstop, when a black man is killed at the hands of our government in circumstances most reasonable people regret, and our black friends and fellow citizens scream over the ordeal their race has endured in our country for generations, I want to make amends. I want to do more to admit our past was wrong, that we wish it had not happened as it did, and we deplore that part of our past completely. I want to do that so that my great grandchildren know where I stood on the issue of race.

While I admire the valor of badly led white boys charging cannons on Cemetery Ridge for their homeland, I want to say, "It was wrong." For the Doak Campbells, George Wallaces, and Strom Thurmonds of my youth, I want to say, "They do not represent me." Take such names down as honored men.

Take them down for Dennis, Anthony, Stick, Mamie, Johnny, Gene, and Rose and the other black Americans who have been important in my life. Take those names of long dead white people who lived at a bad time down for Travis, Deshaun, Homer, Horace, Tree, Barbara, The Judge, Lester, Boogie, James, CJ, The Fridge, Michael Dean, and hundreds more. Take the names down to say "We hate how it was."

The ask is pretty small.
So just to be clear, you want the name of your alma mater changed?

The ask is pretty small.
Excellent post

It was never going to stop after the civil war because the civil war was not fought over slavery just like the majority of what's going on now is not about civil rights.... Hope you and your family are doing well.

So just to be clear, you want the name of your alma mater changed?
He expresses a nice sentiment, and things should be changed if people really are calling out for them to be changed. Even within his post, there are questionable assumptions about whether people should be lumped in with the bad old past, and whether the "right people" have actually expressed that they don't want those people honored.

The ask is pretty small.
Ole Tom gets it

Reactions: cyclotiger
When racists, slave owners, and segregationists are no longer honored.
Then we will need to rename our university:
In 1843 Thomas Green Clemson, a superbly educated Philadelphia Quaker, bought a 1000 acre plantation in Edgefield County, SC. He then bought 37 enslaved African-Americans from Keowee Heights from his wife’s first cousin, John E. Calhoun, for $6,000.

I dunno. But I'm quite interested to see if they cancel cry-baby, Jimmy Kimmel. A video has surfaced with him using the N-word. This will be very conflicting for the cancel fiends.

In 1843 Thomas Green Clemson, a superbly educated Philadelphia Quaker, bought a 1000 acre plantation in Edgefield County, SC. He then bought 37 enslaved African-Americans from Keowee Heights from his wife’s first cousin, John E. Calhoun, for $6,000.

Clemson University would not exist but for John C. Calhoun. When the BOT chose to rename the Honors College, it became clear to me that Clemson University itself was in danger.

Reactions: Buzzards Roost
2REXCQz.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT