ADVERTISEMENT

Gene Sapakoff of the "Newsless" Courier takes shot at Clemson

If they did what Tillman did, then absolutely.

especially considering the name was changed to Tillman Hall specifically because of what he did to Black people. It’s not like it was named that in the 1800s to recognize his part in founding Clemson

Reactions: Jangalang1
I am for changing the name of Tillman Hall but do we really know that it was changed to that as a reaction to civil rights? First of all, 1946 pre-dates the civil rights movement. Also, it just seems strange to me that even in that time that Clemson decision makers would say "Hey, we don't like blacks gaining equality so let's find a known black hater and killer in our history to name our most prominent building after." May have happened but if so, those were some despicable individuals.
No, it was pushed by his son who was a prominent politician in the 40s. It wasn’t really a reaction to racial equality demands since that didn’t become a politically motivating issue for more than a decade later. However, it doesn’t change the fact that he was a horrible, horrible person. When the initial complaint came out several years ago I did some independent research on Tillman Sr. It was pretty bad. Not only was he a racist, he was a murderous backstabber, which is how he advanced his political career. No redeeming qualities at all from what I can tell. Some of the things he did and wrote were awful and incomprehensible in today’s society.

Reactions: ddot7
This isn’t a knock on anybody, but I’ve noticed something in this thread. Many people have had to explain to the racist, ignorant few how bad of a person Tillman was because of what he did to “black” people. Can we take race out of it for a second? He did those horrible things to PEOPLE. It’s always disturbing to me when the narrative is how black folks would/should be offended by his actions. ALL decent people should be offended by what he did to PEOPLE.

Tiger Hall. Swinney Hall. Old Main. Anything to stop this BS before it’s all over the Finebaum show & that little twerp starts taking cheap shots.
And Sapakoff is one of those guys that stirs the pot then steps back and watches everyone argue while he smiles.

This isn’t a knock on anybody, but I’ve noticed something in this thread. Many people have had to explain to the racist, ignorant few how bad of a person Tillman was because of what he did to “black” people. Can we take race out of it for a second? He did those horrible things to PEOPLE. It’s always disturbing to me when the narrative is how black folks would/should be offended by his actions. ALL decent people should be offended by what he did to PEOPLE.

honestly didn’t realize how bad of a person Tillman was, so just read some up on it. Still hate this cancel culture currently. Also, where is the line? Most of the founders were slave owners, etc... when is the vocal minority satisfied? If the school decides to change it, do it on their terms. That’s the way to handle it

I think they should change it to Thurmond Hall.

especially considering the name was changed to Tillman Hall specifically because of what he did to Black people. It’s not like it was named that in the 1800s to recognize his part in founding Clemson
This is sketchy. I knew a few years ago that they were protesting the name but didn’t realize this was the case. I’m not for political correctness at all but this should be changed now. I can’t understand why it has took this long. I haven’t fact checked any of this my opinion only comes from the information on this board.

So there is a line in the sand between "good" racism and "bad" racism. Exactly where is the line? Why are Washington, Jefferson, etc. on the "good" side of the line?

Slavery was a terrible thing. No doubt. It happened, & it was abolished. So it’s been stopped as it should be. That doesn’t mean that all slave owners were the same type of people. It seems Tillman was probably a much worse person than Washington & Jefferson. Again, doesn’t make them right for owning slaves, but there are probably different levels of cruelty & hatred being compared here.

honestly didn’t realize how bad of a person Tillman was, so just read some up on it. Still hate this cancel culture currently. Also, where is the line? Most of the founders were slave owners, etc... when is the vocal minority satisfied? If the school decides to change it, do it on their terms. That’s the way to handle it

Why does the default response always reference slave owners? Tillman probably never owned slaves, but that didn’t stop him from being a piece of shit. Also, it shouldn’t be about satisfying anybody. It should be about doing the right thing in each individual situation. In this particular situation, it’s not really debatable what the right thing to do is.

So there is a line in the sand between "good" racism and "bad" racism. Exactly where is the line? Why are Washington, Jefferson, etc. on the "good" side of the line?

They aren't really, but those men don't have buildings named after them on our campus, and they did a helluva lot more good than Ben Tillman ever did.

While many want the name changed, the Clemson BOT isn't empowered to change it. Winthrop University has a Tillman Hall as well and in 2014 their BOT stated the SC Heritage Act prevents them from changing its name. My understanding is this is the practical effect of the law below, though one could always try the courts to persuade them of a different interpretation. I think the only entity with standing though to challenge the name would be the Clemson BOT; don't think a SC resident and taxpayer could challenge it without the state seeking dismissal based upon standing. Not an attorney but have worked on legislation before as well as staying at a Holiday Inn last week.

SECTION 10-1-165. Protection of certain monuments and memorials.

(A) No Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, War Between the States, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, Native American, or African-American History monuments or memorials erected on public property of the State or any of its political subdivisions may be relocated, removed, disturbed, or altered. No street, bridge, structure, park, preserve, reserve, or other public area of the State or any of its political subdivisions dedicated in memory of or named for any historic figure or historic event may be renamed or rededicated. No person may prevent the public body responsible for the monument or memorial from taking proper measures and exercising proper means for the protection, preservation, and care of these monuments, memorials, or nameplates.

(B) The provisions of this section may only be amended or repealed upon passage of an act which has received a two-thirds vote on the third reading of the bill in each branch of the General Assembly.

They aren't really, but those men don't have buildings named after them on our campus, and they did a helluva lot more good than Ben Tillman ever did.
No Ben Tillman, no Clemson University. So I suppose that means establishing Clemson was not good. You might want o consult the back story on the establishment of Clemson.

Reactions: Tiger Champ
Slavery was a terrible thing. No doubt. It happened, & it was abolished. So it’s been stopped as it should be. That doesn’t mean that all slave owners were the same type of people. It seems Tillman was probably a much worse person than Washington & Jefferson. Again, doesn’t make them right for owning slaves, but there are probably different levels of cruelty & hatred being compared here.
So where is the "good"/"bad" line drawn?

I could not care less what good he did, the bad far outweighs it.
Again I ask. what tips your scales (good/bad)? Shall we discuss Andrew Jackson and Native Americans? We may not have a building named for him but I bet you never turn down any images of him that come your way.

Again I ask. what tips your scales (good/bad)? Shall we discuss Andrew Jackson and Native Americans? We may not have a building named for him but I bet you never turn down any images of him that come your way.

I'm not following you. I don't have any pictures of Andrew Jackson.

What narrative? Ben Tillman was a domestic terrorist who bragged about murdering black people. That’s not the narrative, that’s what happened, that’s who he was. We know that now and we knew that in 1946.

Just like many of the “monuments” out there, Old Main was renamed largely in response to the civil rights movement. But I suppose it was ok to rename it for that “narrative?”

Maybe we should rename it Rudolph Hall or Kaczynski Hall. Hey McVeigh Hall has a nice ring to it! What other domestic terrorists can we celebrate at Clemson?
We could name it after the war criminal WT Sherman

Reactions: dbjork6317
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT