ADVERTISEMENT

How good has Clemson football been over the past 50 years.

Ole Tom

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
Charlotte
I am an old guy. My history of watching the Tigers closely is very long. I am not sure if that long term perspective helps or hurts me. FWIW, here's my view.

1. Clemson ranks 10th among the major college programs in terms of wins in the last 50 years.

2. Clemson won 3 Nattys in the last 50 years. Only Miami, Southern Cal, Oklahoma and Alabama have won more than 3 titles in the last 50 years. 6 teams have won 3 titles in the last 50 years and I think we are tied with those 6 teams in terms of high level performance. Those teams are LSU, Nebraska, FSU, Georgia and Florida. (This only counts undisputed titles.)

3. My count shows that among teams we have played more than once since 1974, the only teams with winning records versus our Tigers for those 50 years are Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, FSU and Pitt. (We could surpass LSU, Tennessee and Pitt with only a few wins.)

4. I suspect my long term view is not shared by most TI readers and I think there is a lot positive about a strong recency bias. Still, when you look back on however long you want to look back the facts strongly support the fact our Tigers have been a top level program for half a century. It disappoints me and seems incorrect for most of the nation to not see Clemson in the light of what has actually happened on the field.

Go Tigers!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News