ADVERTISEMENT

If we stay in the ACC, things to need to change with restructuring in a big way

Dabofan

The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2010
If we had to stay in the ACC, I think I would prefer the conference to divide up into two relegation leagues to drive revenue and interest. I would rather be in the SEC/Big 10 and I know the other lesser ACC teams would never vote for this, nor would the new 3, so this is kind of dumb, but somewhat interesting. Top team from bottom league that wins championship moves us, Bottom team from top league moves down every year. This league needs to pay all of the top league teams at least (65% of the revenue) and the bottom league (35% of the revenue). I would start by dividing up the teams with the highest ACC winning percentage. ESPN might be willing to give a little more money because the matchups in League 1 would be compelling every week. League 2 would be a typical ACC game they are paying for now but could get some very completive games in that league vs. lopsided ones. Also, every game would mean something even for the bottom teams in each league every year. Imagine the UNC vs NC State game the last game of the year being a rivalry but also one where the loser gets relegated to League 2. You would have the chance to send your rival to the lower tier.

League 1 (8 round robin games+ 4 OOC, ND rotates games in this group only as an OOC game) - Top two play in championship, 50+M per team every year
Clemson
FSU
VT
Pitt
Miami
Louisville
GT
UNC
NC ST.

Clemson Schedule (Every year) - FSU/VT/Pitt/Miami/Louisville/GT/UNC/NC ST/ND/SC/2 OOC. This is the type of schedule that we need to be playing year in and year out in the ACC going forward if we are to stay in. If one of these teams falls out, it will be replaced by the best team in the league below.

League 2 (8 round robin games+ 4 OOC, Top two play in championship, $27.5M per team every year
BC
UVA
Duke
Cuse
WF
CAL
Stanford
SMU
Add one other team from (WA ST, OR St, Memphis, Tulane, Boise St., USF)

Reactions: J.Greenbeans
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.