ADVERTISEMENT

****I'm getting old

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement
So Friday I had a "Final Thoughts" article all ready to go.

Except for one problem: I forgot to send it in to Cris.

In all my haste trying to nail down the story about Walker Parks being out, it just flat-out slipped my mind.

So here's what I wrote. Some of it remains relevant:

A few final thoughts and insights to ponder between now and noon Saturday:

-- The eyes will have it.

Clemson's defense already has its hands full trying to keep tabs on Jordan Travis. The guy can do so much damage not only in the zone-read game but when plays break down and he's evading defenders and looking downfield for receivers running scramble routes.

With all this going on, it's hard to also monitor running backs leaking out of the backfield.

Clemson was burned on this in the opener at Duke, allowing running backs Jordan Waters and Jaquez Moore to total 74 receiving yards on six catches.

Last week against Florida Atlantic, the ends and backers didn't do a great job of keeping eyes on the Owls' running backs leaking out.

Through three games, Lawrance Toafili and Trey Benson have combined to catch 10 passes for 92 yards.

These dudes are already capable of enough damage in the running game and screen game. Clemson has to be cognizant of them sneaking out into space, particularly on third down.

Against Clemson last year, Toafili had six catches for 45 yards.

-- Cade Klubnik can do things with his legs, too.

No, Klubnik is not yet the seasoned, confident playmaker that Travis is.

But the sophomore has taken some strides the last two weeks and has become more comfortable using his legs particularly in early downs to set up more advantageous third-down situations.

In the opener, FSU allowed LSU's Jayden Daniels to run for 90 yards before sacks including a long of 40.

Last week, Boston College quarterback Thomas Castellanos ran for 121 yards before sacks and had a long of 45 yards.

As we've written this week, Florida State's defense has been susceptible to big plays this season. The Seminoles rank 107th nationally in 20-plus-yard plays allowed with 16.

Of course, Clemson's offense ranks 102nd nationally in such plays collected with just 10.

For comparison's sake: Notre Dame's offense has amassed 29 such plays, Syracuse 23 and Miami 22.

Against all those FSU athletes it might be a tall order to snap out of that funk in this game, but Klubnik's legs could be the key to unlocking big pass plays downfield.

-- Kind of wild that all that realignment talk has just vanished.

Amazing what happens when the season starts and everyone's focus is devoted to the positively captivating football that's unfolded thus far, no?

Back in August we joked that maybe Clemson and Florida State would announce their plans to leave the ACC the day before their showdown, and then during the game there'd be a video-board message from Dabo Swinney to donate to the cause.

No, we never thought that would happen.

But we still have a strong hunch something will happen during the season.

Our bet is October.

In the meantime, there will probably be some in-person conversations between Clemson and Florida State administrators Saturday.

Oh, and ACC commissioner Jim Phillips will also be at the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News