ADVERTISEMENT

Is the "Locker room is our Portal" actually accurate?

CUFreeze

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2011
Hear me out here. I realize that the thing you don't have is many times shinier that the things you currently have and the want for changes in the roster after a mediocre season is what people want to see to bring hope that better things are to come. I am not unlike you in wanting a change. However if you take away that lust for just something...anything new, what is the reality here?

Clemson lost the below to the portal this year:

- A Starting WR. Even though he was not a gamebreaker he was solid when he wasn't dropping crucial balls.
- A Freshman DE who has never played that Rivals has currently ranked as the #5 DE available #116 overall.
- A CB who was passed up by younger players who Rivals has as #61 Overal......
- A Safety who is probably the biggest loss but at a position of depth for us with younger more talented players on the rise. Even though he is not a game changer for us Rivals has him as the #13 best overall player......

Now Clemson is not going to get in a bidding war for the elite level QB, WRs etc. at this point. Agree or disagree that is reality.

So Who did Clemson "sign" in the "locker room portal"?

Everyone looks at the outside portal players as who we signed but what about the internal guys that we "signed" that would not be here still if we didn't use NIL?

I do not know all of these and would love to have someone like @Larry_Williams or Paul chime in here with more knowledge of which players we were able to keep from hitting the portal. However below is a list of what I have heard.

- The #1 LB in the nation if he entered the portal. 5 star. Would be one of the most sought-after players and we got him.
- A young OL that would be in the top 5 of the Portal Rankings
- Potentially a top 2-3 RB in the portal (may still go pro)
- Another top 2-3 RB.
- A top 2-3 WR that will likely be our top WR moving forward.
- A top TE in the portal
- Multiple DLinemen that would all rank above most anyone that is currently out there
- A young DB that would also be in the top of the rankings.

If all of the above players were actually in the portal and we signed them...imagine how "successful" people would say we were at maximizing the transfer portal. I am sure there are plenty of more that were "signed" through NIL and a LOT of money was spent to keep these guys in Orange. I don't think we truly appreciate that.

This is also a part of the plan and pitch to incoming freshman. The portal is a mess. If you come to Clemson bc you love Clemson and want to stay at Clemson and we will make sure you are taken care of through NIL so that you can remain at Clemson.

Clemson is about to sign a great 2024 recruiting class and just grabbed 2 of the best coaches it could possibly get at the 2 positions we absolutely needed the most. Stop following the narrative and overreacting to portal guys that would not make a big difference other than providing depth and realize we did an absolute hell of a job keeping intact a great roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News