ADVERTISEMENT

Jayron Kearse

nmerritt11

Jan 30, 2006
I don't know why but this is the guy I think is about to blow up this year. I think he is going to be Clemson's version of FSU's LaMarcus Joyner this season. I know Joyner technically played corner his senior season but he was sort of their do it all guy. He blitzed, covered slot WR, covered outside WR, and sort of free lanced around the secondary at times.

You had to account for him on every play. After watching Kearse at youth day, I walked away even more excited. On one play he was on the hash mark when a WR beat the corner. Schuessler laid a very nice throw over to the WR (think it was Thompson) And from the time it was in the air to the time it arrived Kearse ball hawked it and made a leaping interception on a perfectly thrown ball. Great read, great decision, great throw but Kearse was having none of it. His closing speed was jaw dropping. He is really playing fast

Also, on several occasions utilizing him in that dime role, he could have absolutely murdered the RB catching a pass out of the backfield. He read it, and by the time the RB caught it he was there with a little thud. I just remember how special Joyner made that defense with his versatility and think Kearse can kind of be that way. Joyner lead them in sacks with 5.5, 2nd in tackles, was 6th with 7 TFL, brought down 2 INTs, forced 3 fumbles, broke up another 4 passes, and had another 3 QB hurries. He was literally everywhere.

I think with a lock down guy like Alexander shutting down the teams #1 WR and the athleticism at the safety position, Venablees will get very creative with Kearse this year and he will cause all sorts of disruption. I really think he can become one of our better pass rushers from various places on the field. I think he could see his sack total go from 3 to the 7 or 8 range this season.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News