ADVERTISEMENT

Kroger

Don't see the issue with dynamic pricing.
This right here is horse shit and is a very slippery slope: “EDGE will allow Kroger to use customer data to build personalized profiles of each customer, and then use those profiles ‘to determine how much price hiking each of us can tolerate."

I wouldn't expect you to care, but any true conservative should have serious qualms about this.

This right here is horse shit and is a very slippery slope: “EDGE will allow Kroger to use customer data to build personalized profiles of each customer, and then use those profiles ‘to determine how much price hiking each of us can tolerate."

I wouldn't expect you to care, but any true conservative should have serious qualms about this.

i don't necessarily like the idea of charging based on personal data.

But, maybe you are unaware that this already happens? At least it used to, not sure if lawsuits were filed to stop it or not. BUT, if you went to some websites (orbitz?) and had an Appl browser they would charge you more than if you had a windows browser. The assumption was that mac users could afford to pay higher prices.

I see your point of view and how it could be used in a bad way.

I also see the advantages. Can't get enough eggs in this week? Well, raise the price of eggs. In that respect, its just about balancing inventory. If inventory is managed more efficiently, prices will be lower for the consumer.

And last, if you don't like Kroger's pricing practices ...... you can shop somewhere else. Isn't that what everyone decided during the pandemic?

In the end it's probably best to let the free market decide the prices.

i don't necessarily like the idea of charging based on personal data.

But, maybe you are unaware that this already happens? At least it used to, not sure if lawsuits were filed to stop it or not. BUT, if you went to some websites (orbitz?) and had an Appl browser they would charge you more than if you had a windows browser. The assumption was that mac users could afford to pay higher prices.

I see you point of view and how it could be used in a bad way.

I also see the advantages. Can't get enough eggs in this week? Well, raise the price of eggs. In that respect, its just about balancing inventory.

And last, if you don't like Kroger's pricing practices ...... you can shop somewhere else. Isn't that what everyone decided during the pandemic?
Yes, i'm aware of what dynamic pricing is - it happens with Uber every weekend. My issue is with companies modifying the price based on your purchasing trends, and if they perceive you can afford a higher rate.

It's not about it just happening at Kroger, it's about all grocery stores replicating it when they see how much money they can make because of it.

Yes, i'm aware of what dynamic pricing is - it happens with Uber every weekend. My issue is with companies modifying the price based on your purchasing trends, and if they perceive you can afford a higher rate.

It's not about it just happening at Kroger, it's about all grocery stores replicating it when they see how much money they can make because of it.
That is exactly the example i provided and it's already happening. Been happening for a long time and i don't see many negative repercussions from it that i can tell. Airplane prices seem to be very competitive.

That is exactly the example i provided and it's already happening. Been happening for a long time and i don't see many negative repercussions from it that i can tell. Airplane prices seem to be very competitive.
The article literally talks about wanting to utilize dynamic pricing along with Microsoft Edge technology to modify pricing habits based on their interpretation of what a purchaser is able/willing to pay. Which is what my whole issue was about. Tailoring pricing based on the user's perceived ability to pay based on facial recognition/prior purchasing habits.

The article literally talks about wanting to utilize dynamic pricing along with Microsoft Edge technology to modify pricing habits based on their interpretation of what a purchaser is able/willing to pay. Which is what my whole issue was about. Tailoring pricing based on the user's perceived ability to pay based on facial recognition/prior purchasing habits.

That’s horrifying. I would hire someone to do my grocery shopping if that materializes (technically I already do with grocery delivery).

Reactions: WapPride
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT