ADVERTISEMENT

Late night hoops thoughts

CUPLAYER1

Woodrush
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2004
1st of all another tremendous weeknight 9pm crowd! LJ is fun when it's full and loud. FTR- this was our last home 9 pm start of the season so we have that going for us.

Now for the game:

I mentioned Pastner and his zone defense in the game thread. Smh. I enjoyed watching the Brownell-Young matchup over the weekend. It was a master class by both on both ends of the floor. Tonight was like Tyson vs Butterbean. GT has a tremendous roster. Not much is being done with them.

We recruited Smith (5) and Sturdivant (1) heavily. Smith is a player. Quick as a cat. However- he didn't like being guarded by Wiggins who could contest his shot yet play far enough off of him to contain his dribble drive attempts.

The freshman class (Beadle included) is ridiculous. Talent just oozes out of every one of them. They get more comfortable every time out and are showing skill sets that make your jaw drop at times.

PJ looks fluid again. I thought 2 weeks ago he may have had a setback...he was moving that poorly at times. Tonight is the 1st game where I didn't think he looked awkward at some point. And that stroke is pretty dang sweet. We ran the same pick and roll action at one point in the 2nd half two possessions in a row: 1st time Hall rolls for a dunk. 2nd time he pops and drains a 3. His defender was just literally shaking his head.

The chemistry between these guys is uncanny. Tyson was coming in once for Wiggins and he stops Wiggins coming off the floor and explains to him why he was coming out and how to correct it. It was an impressive show of leadership by 5. But i was just as impressed with the fact that Wiggins stopped and listened and thanked him before having a seat. How many 18 year olds, in the heat of battle, handle that situation like that? Showed me a lot of maturity for a freshman and also how much respect they have for their teammate.

This team also plays loose. At one point in the game, PJ was fouled going into a tv timeout. During the timeout, the promotions people did a crowd camera with the Titanic theme playing. Near the end of the promo a student was on the big screen holding up his phone and the message was "I ❤PJ". I didn't realize PJ saw it but he goes back on the floor, makes the FT, and as he's running back down the floor acknowledges the student with a finger point.

These players are having fun. And so are the fans!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News