Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
Late-week August Camp Insider
By: Larry Williams & Paul Strelow

We need to talk.

You've got August camp questions, we've got answers or opinions.

In a twist of this popular recruiting feature, Tigerillustrated.com digs into team topics broached by our subscribers.

Off we go ...

cuguy23: Over/under -- Antonio Williams starts a game by game 6.5?

LARRY: Under a previous coach he might be rolling out there as the starting slot against Georgia Tech. But Dabo Swinney isn't big on those types of recruiting promises, and I think most people agree with his sentiment.

It's a great question, though. My first thought is Brannon Spector appears locked in at the slot position, and I think he's going to be better than most folks envision.

But then again, Williams is also getting work at the outside field position.

I'll take the over (meaning after game 6.5) while also acknowledging that things like injuries can happen here and there to thrust the freshman right into the lineup.

But dang, even as I type this I'm having second thoughts. This guy is an absolute baller and a natural, and even though there's a lot of talent returning at this position I still wonder if Tyler Grisham might have to send some messages to get this group playing to its potential.

Remember, he resolved this offseason that he's stopped with the Mr. Nice Guy thing. If you don't produce, your butt's going to the sideline.

OK, I talked myself into revising and taking the under.

DA SWAMI: Both of you have touched on a number of true freshmen. The ones people are going to question the next 2-5 years were the "fallback" prospects.

Knowing Clemson would have a full class this year and at one time this class projected 27-30 signees, people will want to compare the Cole Turners, Caden Story, Kobe McClouds and so forth to what could have been this year.

Curious if you would offer your takes after seeing the newbies up close and personal?

PAUL: That's the natural response, yes.

And I'm on record expressing opinion that Clemson, in aggregate, took too many late additions last cycle.

My stance remains this: Each one of those could wind up being solid to good college players.

But data and odds are against teams that take so many signees of that ilk.

Yet the caliber you recruited before and after that group will ultimately shape how we view them.

Of the eight January signees, linebacker T.J. Dudley would be the only one I might not characterize as a long-term proposition. I think he matches up with what the Tigers are bringing in this class in Dee Crayton, and there will be two-deep spots to be had next season.

How well you execute the system matters so much at safety that it's simply too early to forecast how Kylon Griffin will fit in. But he looks like he can eventually play the part.

I've written that I see Turner developing into a rotation player later by his third year once he fills in. He's got long speed and hands. Oliver has the makeup to be a contributor in time. Defensive end Jahiem Lawson is already up to 233 pounds and is one to check back in on after a full year in a college weight room.

Cases could be made for why just about all of them could play at Clemson.

It's such a nuanced discussion. Beyond comparing talent from the signee to a theoretical 2023 recruit, scholarship numbers also influenced the matter. Sure, maybe the Tigers could have gotten a higher cut if they had pocketed the scholarship. But the staff and/or Swinney felt Clemson needed another body in various cases for risk management.

Story was right there with Dudley as the most decorated of the bunch.

But the complexion of his trajectory perhaps changes when the Tigers are subsequently able to add Peter Woods and Vic Burley to the depth chart mix.

Bottom line, you have to have enough high-upside and early impact types on the roster to pair the developmental guys with for it to work out.

kingkyle1008: I’m interested in hearing about Beaux Collins. It's been a quiet offseason from him. Does the staff feel like he’s taken the next step forward? Is he ready to be a No. 1 WR or at least a solid No. 2?

LARRY: Well the reason we haven't heard much from him of late is because he's been watching in street clothes while recovering from a shoulder injury.

And I don't necessarily think he had a quiet spring, either. That's probably just more a reflection of the spotlight being on other topics such as the coaching turnover, arrival of Cade Klubnik, the progression of DJ Uiagalelei, etc.

I detect the utmost confidence in Collins as both a weapon and as a perfect fit for this program's culture. He came on toward the end of last year, and I see him building on that this season.

I'll relate a quote on Collins from Tyler Grisham:

"Beaux Collins is a pro. You hear that all the time, but he's probably the most consistent guy we have overall. I don't have to watch him at practice. I can focus on the other guys because I expect him to know what to do and perform at a high level. Great energy. He's a good one."

Regarding Dacari Collins, I'm also interested to see if he can take the next step. He showed last year against Wake Forest that he can be a tenacious blocker, and he's had some impressive catches lately in camp. But I'm interested to see if he can become a significant threat in this offense.

12-0: Trying to think of a player not covered so far and really can’t. Well done fellas.

PAUL: Interested to see if linebacker Sergio Allen cracks any special teams units this season.

jparker3791: Not asking necessarily for this year, but which of these freshmen do you see contributing the earliest: running back Keith Adams, tight end Josh Sapp, Lawson or Turner?

PAUL: Let's go with Sapp.

Davis Allen is gone after this season, positioning Jake Briningstool as the projected go-to at tight end.

Sage Ennis probably gets the bulk of the backup snaps. But there will be some allocated for Sapp, who might offer more in the receiving realm. Plus Clemson will need to make sure it has a tight end ready to go for the 2024 season should both Briningstool and Ennis depart after the '23 campaign.

Put another way, I think Sapp both will be ready earliest and have the opportunity earliest based on roster options.

I might give the nod to Turner over Lawson next because you can reach the field earlier as a receiver, and here's believing Lawson will need at least two years of incubation before we start to see what he might become.

kingkyle1008: Start, bench, cut -- Swinney era legends edition.

You have to start one, bench one, cut one.

QB: Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson, Tajh Boyd

PAUL:
Neither Watson nor Lawrence were great first-quarter players, so maybe I shouldn't start either. But as much as I value Lawrence, I'd never bet against Watson.

RB: C.J. Spiller, Travis Etienne, Wayne Gallman

PAUL:
Spiller is the greatest back in Clemson history. But my personal taste would be to ride with Etienne because I believe he was the better interior runner and could get the tougher yards.

WR: Nuk Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Tee Higgins, Mike Williams (you get to start 2)

PAUL: In candor, I think the coaches would tell you Watkins would be WR1 because he was such a different animal athletically. Valid and maybe winning argument. For me, if I need one play, I'm going with Nuk at the boundary 9 position. Watkins is the right answer to be in the two, but Higgins has always been my guy.

TE: Dwayne Allen, Brandon Ford, Jordan Leggett

PAUL:
Seems like only yesterday Allen criticized coaches for his lack of initial use and didn't meet with the media the rest of his freshman season. Proof not to define one's career in a snapshot of a moment. Allen over Leggett.

OL: Mitch Hyatt, Jackson Carman, Brandon Thomas

PAUL:
Thomas over Hyatt by a neck ... that Thomas doesn't physically have.

DE: DaQuan Bowers, Clelin Ferrell, Vic Beasley

PAUL:
You could rightly argue Beasley was the most-feared by the opposition for his edge-rushing prowess. Splitting hairs, but I'm going Ferrell over Bowers as much for the personality Cle brought to the table.

DT: Grady Jarrett, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence

PAUL:
This is like asking which child you want to keep. Jarrett is an icon in my book. But Wilkins was as important as DW4 to the program. His rising tide lifts all boats. So he gets the nod.

LB: Ben Boulware, James Skalski, Stephone Anthony

PAUL:
Boulware over Anthony on sheer willpower.

OLB: Isaiah Simmons, Dorian O'Daniel, Lateek Townsend (greatest Tiger of all time)

PAUL: Simmons is the obvious choice over O'Daniel. I also would say that lessons learned are why Swinney grew to place such a premium on culture.

CB: Mac Alexander, A.J. Terrell, Andrew Booth

PAUL:
While Booth is up there with Higgins among personal favorites, Terrell gets the call decidedly.

S: Jayron Kearse, Jadar Johnson, Deandre McDaniel

PAUL:
My answer would probably be Marcus Gilchrist if you're going Swinney era. But among the options, I'd have to go McDaniel over Kearse not knowing if we're getting the Kearse before or after he checked out.

40% OFF Clemson Nike shoes at The Tiger Fan Shop now! Direct link to the SALE HERE!
11.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News