ADVERTISEMENT

Message from a CU Football Mom

CoffeeIsForClosers

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2020
Astro III
Thought this needed to be shared here. This message was posted by a long time Clemson staffer's wife. C&P (names replaced).

My kids are fortunate that they haven’t experienced losing very much in their lives. The last time Clemson lost at home, 'daughter' was 1 and 'son' wasn’t even born yet. After the game on Saturday, my kids were just as excited to see their friends on the team as they would be any other game, but I told them that the players were feeling disappointed and sad. To which 'daughter' responded, “but mom, we are still so proud of them.” And she was right, we sure were. But I told her that it still hurts to lose to which she said “just because you don’t win, doesn’t mean you didn’t try your best.” Wise words from my 7 year old.

Losing is not a fun feeling for anyone, especially when you’ve poured everything you have and are into the very opposite outcome. And I’m not one to vent or soapbox but y’all, this week has been out of control. The things I have seen written and heard said about these college football players is beyond belief. And most of these statements are coming from adults that are (or will be) parents.

Please think about the terrible things you say about and to these kids and how you’d feel if they were said about or to your own children. Sure they are technically adults, but do you remember being in college? I do and I sure know I had a lot of growing to do back then. And I can’t imagine having adults say the things to and about me that I’m seeing right now.

Please also think about the awful things you are saying in front of and to your kids about your team’s coaches… that your kids are then saying to the coaches’ kids. How would you feel if your kids were berated and attacked for something that happened at your workplace? Losing undeniably sucks. And it sure is disappointing. And no one wants to win more than the players and their coaches. Losing is frustrating for everyone. It’s understandable to be mad, sad, disappointed, upset and all kinds of negative ways. But the downright evil things that are being said to and about kids for losing a football game is pretty appalling. It’s a pretty hard, tough and unkind world these days. But we all have the power to make it a little kinder and better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News