Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
Midweek Camp Insider
By: Larry Williams & Paul Strelow

We need to talk.

You've got August camp questions, we've got answers or opinions.

In a twist of this popular recruiting feature, Tigerillustrated.com digs into team topics broached by our subscribers.

Off we go ...

OrangeTigerTower: Based on your limited viewing if you were making the call today -- Bryn Tucker, Dietrick Pennington, Blake Miller, Collin Sadler ... who are you rolling out there at starting right guard, and who is his backup?

LARRY: First off, it's too early to tell because we're not even a week into camp yet (and barely a day into the more defining and revealing full-pad practices).

That said, I'm firmly in the show-me camp regarding Bryn Tucker and Mitchell Mayes. These are third-year guys, and this would normally be the time for a third-year guy to take a big step and grab the job.

I've been high on Dietrick Pennington for a while now, but I'd like to see him lose some of that weight and get into better conditioning before I seriously consider him for RG1.

Here's something that's been on my mind for a week or so: If the idea is to get your five best linemen on the field, what about:

Moving Jordan McFadden and Walker Parks to guard (they both profile as guards at the next level, right?);

Move Marcus Tate from left guard to left tackle (that's where he's most comfortable, and he plays well in space);

Put Blake Miller at starting right tackle (that's his future, right?)

Yes, this would require some swallowing hard as you put two really good tackles inside.

But with no murderous Georgia defensive front to worry about in the opener, the schedule presents time to grow the guys up in game situations.

Yes, it's an unconventional idea. And yes, easy for me to say when I get paid to type and not coach.

But is it worth considering?

11.jpg
True freshman offensive lineman and former four-star recruit Blake Miller. (Tigerillustrated.com)

PAUL: I'd like to jump in and answer this one as well.

Yes, Larry, it absolutely should be considered.

Switching Tate and McFadden makes so much sense. But I'm also led to believe Dabo Swinney trusts McFadden at left tackle and doesn't want to rock that apple cart. While I get and appreciate that logic, moving McFadden inside would begin to favorably change the complexion of the run game.

Parks is a team player. But what I don't know is how comfortable he would be playing inside.

Swinney makes young players go above and beyond to surpass older players on the depth chart. That's earning it -- let there be no doubt.

So I also get why this would go against the Tigers' standard mode of operation.

But Clemson's ceiling with those as the starting five is greater than the current combination, in my opinion.

I think Tucker gives them the best chance right this minute.

They shouldn't need to be at their peak to eclipse Georgia Tech, Furman or Louisiana Tech. Or even to move the ball on Wake Forest, if last season was an indication.

So play the long game.

stigers91: Who looks like the most under-the-radar guy currently that you think becomes the biggest surprise this year?

LARRY: Well, I guess Nate Wiggins should be considered off the board because so many people have raved about him that it probably wouldn't be a surprise if he had a big year.

I'll give you three at the top of my mind:

Jeremiah Trotter: Most regional and national media folks have never heard of the guy, but he's been firmly on our radar for much of this offseason. He's just so instinctive and that makes for a MIKE linebacker who looks really fast and always seems to be around the ball. LaVonta Bentley and Keith Maguire are stout competition and bring their own intrigue, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Trotter does because there's real buzz about him on the inside.

Brannon Spector: He's been so out of sight and out of mind that he's just sort of glossed over in favor of other guys who create a greater sensation in the minds of fans. We're asked a lot about Troy Stellato, and of course Antonio Williams of late. But Spector is fast, springy and a legit starter based on our returns. If he stays healthy I see him as much less of an obscurity by the end of the year.

E.J. Williams: Remember a year ago when a lot of folks (including yours truly) thought Williams was going to elevate to a different, perhaps even elite, level as a receiver? Well, this is the same guy and he's apparently healthy after dealing with injuries last year. The superb deep-ball he caught this week while fighting off Wiggins presented a reminder that No. 6 could be hard to deal with.

BHSRebels89: Who would you say has taken a leadership role on offense, something that seemed to be sorely lacking last year? What about defense?

PAUL: On defense, it's pretty clearly defined. Bryan Bresee and K.J. Henry are the voices of the group, whereas Tyler Davis is the respected guy everyone follows. Trenton Simpson and Sheridan Jones are both sort of the authority figures at linebacker and defensive back, respectively, and as I've mentioned, Keith Maguire got my attention with the manner he has stepped to the forefront in leading lines and accountability, too.

Just from what I've observed, I don't know if there's a so-called voice for the offense. I'd probably put Will Shipley as closest, but I don't believe he's reached the point in tenure or stature where you'd designate him the leader.

Which is not a knock on him, to be clear. You don't walk in the door, shout some slogans and become the rallying point in a locker room; quite the opposite, in fact. It takes time to earn leadership roles.

McFadden, like Davis, is the one to whom the offensive line looks up. When he speaks, peers listen and respect. Usually the most quotable player on a team comes from the offensive line, and while I'm not sure there's quite the outward personality in this group, Walker Parks has stepped forward as the statesman.

Coaches bear responsibility for their position groups, so I get the blame game some of our subscribers have played with receiver. But to me, the biggest indictment is that group was rudderless as far as player leadership last season. And that remains my question mark going into this season -- who sets the tone? I think Beaux Collins will eventually grow into the figurehead in another year, but it's an interesting mix of experience and personalities this season. Not negative or bad ones, by any means. But this is where Joseph Ngata and E.J. Williams need to be at the forefront, and we'll see if they take or have taken that next step.

We've yelled it all along, but Cade Klubnik exudes leadership. The magnetism is clear. But the ball is in DJ Uiagalelei's court, and you don't have to own the room to be the team's best quarterback. My read is Klubnik's charismatic presence is pushing Uiagalelei to try to be more of a visible leader. Yet to be fair, DJ's probably never going to be that bubbly, energetic rah-rah guy; it's just not who he is, and that's fine.

11p2.jpg
Clemson quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei is shown here Tuesday with wideout Beaux Collins. (Tigerillustrated.com)

That said, there's also the matter of how we define leadership.

Uiagalelei stayed an extra 20 or so minutes after a recent practice to throw with teammates. Suffice it to say, he'd been out on the field awhile.

He's one of the last ones headed in when, near the entrance to the football operations facility, a family of father and a couple of kids had been waiting around.

The dad asked DJ if he'd come over for a picture, and we watched as Uiagalelei went and gave them at least 10 minutes of his time before another obligation pulled him away.

He's got heart.

Frankly, if Uiagalelei improves his accuracy, decision-making and improvisational abilities, the leadership position will come to him.

1994Tiger: From what you have seen, and from your inside sources, has Uiagalelei been more accurate? It's issue No. 1 of many that needs correcting on offense.

LARRY: From everything I've been able to gather, practice accuracy was seldom the problem with DJ.

One common refrain from last season from Swinney and others was that the offense's gaffes in games were not happening on the practice fields in the days prior. Included was Uiagalelei, who frequently looked sensational in practice.

This is why we opened camp last week suggesting that what Uiagalelei needs to show can only be shown when the lights are on and the pressure to perform is high.

I'm not saying there aren't some things that he can show over the next few weeks to support the case that he's indeed transcended last year's nightmare. I'm also not saying he hasn't made some noticeable improvements, including footwork that has produced better accuracy thus far from what we've been able to watch.

But to me it's too early to tell in two respects: 1) We'll be able to tell more when they start scrimmaging; and 2) much more when fans are in the stands and he has to lead an offense with another team on the other side.

clemsontiger02: Will Swinney ultimately need to scour the soccer team for a serviceable punter?

PAUL: Men's soccer is ranked No. 1 nationally in the preseason. THIS IS A FUTBOL SCHOOL, man. Neither Graham Neff nor Mike Noonan are going to let Swinney pilfer the roster.

Moreover, you got to soccer for placekickers, not punters.

It's my opinion off the sample size to date that, in a vacuum, B.T. Potter is the most reliable option.

But the question is whether you want the additional drain on his leg over the course of the season. My perception is that Potter wore down as last season carried on, reflected by the depth of his kickoffs seemingly decreasing late in the season.

Aidan Swanson could prove me wrong. It would arguably be best for Clemson if he does.

thethrillonthehill: When camping do you enjoy daydreams and hot dogs over a fire? I find myself daydreaming ... with thoughts of who is Clemson's Hot Dog? The player(s) with swagger and aggression on each side of the ball. Ones that raise the intensity level on the field?

PAUL: Larry enjoys camping, per my sources. I love the outdoors and like hiking, but sleeping on a mattress ranks high on my needs list. So when camping, I'm daydreaming ... of getting back to my bed.

Which Clemson players warrant the X-ray pic with the dog in 'em? Simpson would be the lead dog, and he has really exuded that confidence this offseason. The D-line deserves the collective accolades, yet my gut says we'll look back after this season and wish we'd have ranked him as the No. 1 player in Larry's summer rundown.

11p3.jpg
Clemson linebacker and former 5-star recruit Trenton Simpson has a new look this off-season. (Tigerillustrated.com)

The highest compliment Brad Brownell gives a basketball player is if he has some (stuff) to him.

I'd say Bresee and Shipley have some stuff to them, too.

A number of players come to mind who have more of one (swagger or aggression) than the other but could develop into that category.

Eyeball test, Trotter is on course to be an imposing middle linebacker.

40% OFF Clemson Nike shoes at The Tiger Fan Shop now! Direct link to the SALE HERE!
11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News