ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy accused of racial slur in 1989

I’m sorry but this is stupid

Black, white, purple, green or whatever this is really stupid

Lack of intelligence is starting to show

Reactions: PawsFan_
What is the statute of limitations?
giphy.gif

Apparently nobody is allowed to grow and get better. You do something impulsive and stupid in your youth it's going to haunt you forever. That's the sad truth

After reading the story, a couple of reasons quickly come to mind. 1. He is at his core a racist. 2. He was raised to use that word and truly did not know how wrong it was at that time. 3. He was pissed off and new by using that word it would immediately hurt the other individual. 4. He was truly oblivious and just used a word he heard others use.

Most likely it is a combination of 2 and 3. He was raised with people using that word but knew it was wrong and knew how hurtful it would be, so he used it in a heated moment. If this was true, I would think if he owned it things would be forgiven. He still would be criticized but there may be a little bit more understanding. I really don't know because trying to judge the reaction of the group right now is almost impossible.

“From the theaters to malls on every shore
The thin line between entertainment and war
The frontline is everywhere, there be no shelter here”
Rage Against the Machine -No Shelter

Zack De La Rocha was a prophet ...
Coca Cola is back in the veins of Saigon
And Rambo too, he got a dope pair of Nike's on.
Godzilla pure MF'n filler

To keep your eyes off the real killer.

Genius

Reactions: Alpha Tiger 95
I think this shows the contrast quite nicely with Dabo. Both had very recent "run ins" with the media because of the current racial tensions and their response to it. The fact that Dabo's former players have (at least the vast majority I have seen) been adamant in their defense of him shows that he really does care about them and practices what he preaches. Gundy, on the other hand, has been called out by players and seems to be digging himself a bigger hole in his response. When you do that, and then these old accusations pop up, it is much tougher to defend. Wearing an OAN T-shirt might not seem like a big deal to many people and can more easily be justified when you dont have skeletons in your closet like Gundy appears to have.

Apparently, this is something that's bothered folks on the other end of the comment. Resentments can simmer for years and only get worse over time. If Gundy apologized at the time, it might have made a difference. It's hard to tell without knowing the people involved better. Maybe Gundy doesn't remember it the same way. I've been told by people who should know that every time we recall an event, we store not the memory of the event, but the memory as altered by our recollection and perhaps our retelling of that event. If I tell a story about something that happened and make some minimal changes, I might incorporate some of those changes into my actual memory. That's not true if I know I'm stretching the truth, but if I make little assumptions, I might remember my assumptions as true. Gundy might have rationalized what he said by thinking he meant something slightly different. His memory could then change over time and after reviewing the story a dozen times, become something completely different.

Reactions: Trading Tiger
I think at this point, Gundy has to just continue denying it.

People are nuts right now, and if you apologize, you will be fired.

Young people of today, what’s going to happen 20 years from now when people pull up your old Instagram/Facebook etc posts?

It’s going to get UGLY

Hell I should hope it's up by 1989, though that was pretty egregious. Wasn't a Pearman situation - he was pretty much using it in the most offensive way you can.
Allegedly. Our players were accused of it in 2016 too. And then it was magically never mentioned again

Allegedly. Our players were accused of it in 2016 too. And then it was magically never mentioned again

True.

Young people of today, what’s going to happen 20 years from now when people pull up your old Instagram/Facebook etc posts?

It’s going to get UGLY

My Facebook profile used to be my son shooting our 22 rifle.

I'm fvcked.

Reactions: harristeeter
Not many would admit it in today's climate but I would be willing to bet that most people have used a racial slur, joke, or stereotype at some point in their life. Behind closed doors being honest with yourself, just about everyone is guilty. That includes blacks and other races as well.

“From the theaters to malls on every shore
The thin line between entertainment and war
The frontline is everywhere, there be no shelter here”
Rage Against the Machine -No Shelter

Zack De La Rocha was a prophet ...

well yea

Reactions: PAWrocka
Wonder if Mr. Alfred Williams ever called one of his ex girlfriends a "b!tch"? Wonder if he ever degraded women or said that "all women are crazy" #metoo

Apparently, this is something that's bothered folks on the other end of the comment. Resentments can simmer for years and only get worse over time. If Gundy apologized at the time, it might have made a difference. It's hard to tell without knowing the people involved better. Maybe Gundy doesn't remember it the same way. I've been told by people who should know that every time we recall an event, we store not the memory of the event, but the memory as altered by our recollection and perhaps our retelling of that event. If I tell a story about something that happened and make some minimal changes, I might incorporate some of those changes into my actual memory. That's not true if I know I'm stretching the truth, but if I make little assumptions, I might remember my assumptions as true. Gundy might have rationalized what he said by thinking he meant something slightly different. His memory could then change over time and after reviewing the story a dozen times, become something completely different.
Fantastic post. And the flip side is also true...Gundy may have said something like "don't use the n word", but by the time this story comes out over 30 years later, in the offended person's mind, he said "n***** this and n***** that".

Bottom line is it happened way too long ago for anyone to accurately remember everything, the actual words used, the context, the circumstances, etc.

If you're truly offended, and not just the snowflake offended, like truly outraged, you don't wait 30 years to bring it up.

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
Coca Cola is back in the veins of Saigon
And Rambo too, he got a dope pair of Nike's on.
Godzilla pure MF'n filler

To keep your eyes off the real killer.

Genius
Ya know it’s funny ... in my youth I loved Rage(still do), but I liked it mainly because of the hard rock/rap mash up and my own internal Gen X anger. I never really listened to the lyrics ... until now.

I was reading some commentary about No Shelter. I had completely forgot that it was written and first appeared on the Godzilla soundtrack. Just shows how stupid Hollywood execs are. You can just see them sitting in a conference room listening to the song and saying “Oh it has the movie title in it! Approved!” not realizing that the song is shitting all over the movie and the industry as a whole.
Genius!

Reactions: Trading Tiger
The youth of today are going to be screwed when they get older and people can see posts from when they were in elementary, middle and high school. Shame on middle schoolers for not being more mature when they were 13 years old. Are we not allowed to grow and improve as human beings? I'm sure all of us have said some crappy things back as kids, and I'm not even specifically talking about racism. How many folks have called other kids the "r-word"?

I found out today that a buddy of mine from work (works in another division) was fired last week. Apparently during a team Zoom meeting Happy Hour, someone made a joke (I don’t know the context) but this guy said aloud “#MeToo”. He was fired for making light of the MeToo movement and his comment was viewed as misogynist by others on the call and not in line with the company’s hostile work environment policy.

ya .... he was a idiot for saying it .... but ya ....

I found out today that a buddy of mine from work (works in another division) was fired last week. Apparently during a team Zoom meeting Happy Hour, someone made a joke (I don’t know the context) but this guy said aloud “#MeToo”. He was fired for making light of the MeToo movement and his comment was viewed as misogynist by others on the call and not in line with the company’s hostile work environment policy.

Stupid, but it is the current environment.

Reactions: PAWrocka
I had a power line 89 poster on my wall of my pre teen bedroom & now I’m old . I also had an easy e cassette tape which I sang the lyrics of when no one was around how should I punish myself ?

Same and same. I even went to that 89 IPTAY meeting in Greenville to get the poster. Danny signed it for me afterwards.

Had Eazy Duz it tape playing on way home...lol.

Wow....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT