ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Afternoon Thoughts

eta-alpha

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
May 17, 2023
On the game itself:

- I think it's a cop out to look at that game and stick with the idea that we're are a quarterback away from being a contender. It's an idea that we've all talked about since DJ's first year starting -- that if we had an above average QB we'd run the table. I think we can officially call that narrative dead. This team is just not particularly talented at multiple key spots across the board. You could put Cam Ward on this team and we'd still have lost that game by 10+. The roster isn't that good anymore.

- I thought the OL played well enough for us to win. Some stupid mistakes per usual but far less than normal and against a really strong defense. Look what happens when you bring in a killer position coach.

- I'll take my lumps and admit I was wrong -- Peter Woods can play DE.

- I'll have to go back and watch to double check -- but schematically we came out differently than expected on D. I was expecting a ton more man blitzes, but we sat back in zone a lot from what I could see in the stadium. Will be interesting to break down.

- I don't even think it needs to be said, but I'll touch on it. HILARIOUSLY bad WR rotation. In person, Moore and Wesco were so obviously more explosive than Turner and Randall. Brown getting less snaps than Turner? WTF are we even doing.

- Jeadyn Lukus is exactly who I've always seen him to be on the field. With all due respect, he's never been very impressive at the college level and it seems the camp hype might just be because he was guarding Cole Turner & Adam Randall.

On the program as a whole:

- I'm pro NIL & portal and have been since before this game. If there was ever a confirmation that we need to suck it up and be active on fronts, that was it.

- Obviously you worry about our retention if we start playing the portal/nil game. I would offer the argument that I am incredibly worried about our retention & acquisition right now. Our '25 class seems to be nearly done -- with 14 commits? That is so obviously inexcusable and will handicap the program unless supplemented with more HS guys or portal guys,

- I don't want to overreact to this one game. But frankly, we could make the ACC championship and I'd still believe these things. We are not a serious contender and our player acquisition is trending down heavily.

As always, go tigers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.