* * * * Monday Christopher Johnson Update * * * *

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
MONDAY CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON UPDATE
By: Paul Strelow

Clemson made a major move this past weekend with the Florida speedster atop its running back board.

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Dillard's Christopher Johnson made an official visit for the South Carolina game along with his father and younger siblings.

"The visit was great," Johnson told Tigerillustrated.com. "It's been the best visit I've had by far. I just liked the atmosphere -- the people, the fans, the coaches. I had a good chance to sit down and talk with coach (Dabo) Swinney, and that went great."

Johnson (5-11, 182) decommitted from Rutgers last spring and saw his recruitment explode from there, seizing offers from Miami, Georgia, Florida, Florida State and Alabama among others.

Clemson running backs coach C.J. Spiller attended his spring game, and Johnson made an unofficial visit to campus in June.

The Tigers then offered in early July but were unable to attract him to the All-In Cookout later in the month, with Johnson opting instead to go to Miami and Ole Miss on unofficials that week.

All signs pointed to the hometown Hurricanes getting his commitment at summer's end, but Johnson never pulled the trigger.

Clemson kept chipping away, and Spiller scouted one of Johnson's games last month.

Johnson took his official to Ole Miss two weeks ago, with reports subsequently surfacing that the Rebels might have claimed the lead.

Miami then drew Johnson back to campus for an uncharacteristic Sunday visit the day after the team returned from its defeat at Clemson.

Johnson and his family arrived Friday night at Clemson, having dinner with Spiller and offensive coordinator Brandon Streeter.

Johnson then spent the evening hanging out with Tigers running back Will Shipley and freshman linebacker Kobe McCloud, a fellow Floridian.

"Me and Kobe, we clicked," Johnson said. "Shipley just said that Clemson would be a good move for me, and he likes it there. He thinks it would be a good fit for me."

Johnson would go on to observe Shipley rush for 132 yards and a touchdown, averaging 8.8 yards per carry against South Carolina. Second-stringer Phil Mafah averaged 6.0 yards per carry on seven attempts.

"I liked the way they used their running backs," Johnson said. "They just don't have enough speed. But they're good backs."

Johnson went back to his hotel room for much of the afternoon because of a headache before the official visitors reconvened at Swinney's house for dinner.

On Sunday, he and his family went through academic and NIL meetings before having lunch with the staff and going through a photoshoot to close the visit.

1669654951432.png
Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) running back Christopher Johnson is shown here in Death Valley on Saturday prior to kickoff between Clemson and South Carolina. (Tigerillustrated.com)

"Coach Spiller, he's the best," Johnson said. "He's played at the highest level, so he knows what it takes to get there. Coach Swinney said I had as much speed as anybody he'd had, and beyond that we were just talking and getting to know each other."

Johnson is slated to go to Penn State for an official visit Dec. 9.

Miami, Clemson, Ole Miss and Penn State are his stated finalists.

He plans to sign during the Dec. 21-23 early signing period and will be a summer enrollee.

Johnson told Rivals.com's Ryan Wright that he wants to go to a winning program, which has dropped Miami's stock.

"Clemson is at the top," Johnson told Tigerillustrated.com. "That's just the best visit I've had so far."

CYBER MONDAY DEALS on a TON of officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel and gear at The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News