ADVERTISEMENT

Morning After Thoughts

wvatiger13

The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2010
Well that was fun again. Been a while since Clemson football looked like they were explosive and fun. Felt good. My thoughts:

1. Cade was awesome. I’m sure there will be some “it was only App State” comments today but it’s hard to do what he did against air. Per my recollection his only bad ball was the under throw on the flea flicker. And then he came right back with an absolute laser on the post to split a double high safety look. He was precise, on time and in complete control. That’s what we have all been hoping would come. He’s got the tools. Now can he bring it every week consistently?

2. Mafah showed some really good speed. Good to see him get going. I really like Haynes’ burst. Hope he can get the nuances of pass blocking to move to RB2 as we need that kind of speed on the field regularly. He and Mafah could be a potent 1-2 punch. EZ loooked like he could be a good one.

3. OL was FANTASTIC. Best OL performance since 2018 in my opinion. QBs were clean all night. RBs had holes everywhere. Matt Luke is an absolute godsend.

4. Wesco and Moore are legit. I know this is hyperbolic but I truly believe they’re about to impact this WR room the way Sammy and Nuk did. Look at all the room Brinny and Tonio had to operate underneath when you now have someone who can take the top off the defense. Look at how everyone started to up their game when they realized those freshmen are making plays and coming for their spot. WRU is about to make a comeback.

5. The DL is disgusting. Really hope Woods is OK first of all. The starting four are REALLY good. Subbing in with Green, Williams and Burley is unfair. I liked what I saw from Hoffler. Denhoff is ok in bursts. I think Mayo can be something special in time.

6. Sammy Brown needs some time. You could see the athleticism and he was all over the field. But he was out of position a lot. Good to see him get so much PT as we are going to need him. Not sure how serious McCloud’s injury is but he’s not the answer at 2nd string regardless. Need Brown to step up sooner than later.

7. Terrell is a damn stud. He’s a lockdown already. Beyond that it gets dicey. Didn’t see Lukus much if at all. Not sure if he was banged up. Hopefully he’s fine. Lewis didn’t look 100%. Hopefully both are ready for NC ST as well need them. Hampton looked the part athletically but looked a bit lost out there. Strozier and Feagin aren’t ready. Did Gipson play?

8. Barnes and Mickens have been solid but not spectacular. From what I saw I’d put Covil in over Griffin. Maybe Griffin is better in coverage but he looks scared to hit someone. Covil seeks it out. He plays harder and faster. I liked what I saw from him and I think Ricardo Jones is coming too.

9. Overall I really think this is what we expected in year two from Riley’s offense. Everyone looks more confident and crisp. It helps that Luke was brought in to shore up the OL as well. It’s a shame we had to open with Georgia. I just think we need some time to gel. By the end of the year I fully expect this to be a top ten team.

10. NCST just got bulldozed by Tennessee even worse than we did by UGA. Under 150 yards. I never really got the hype for them this year just because they got a UCONN TE, Duke RB and Coastal QB in the portal. We are much more talented. Hopefully we can build off last night, heal up some guys in the off week and make a statement in the Valley that the ACC is ours again.

Go Tigers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.