ADVERTISEMENT

My Spring Game Observations...

CUFreeze

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2011
Had some time today to really go back and watch the spring game. Here are a few of my observations in complete random order...

1. AJ Hoffler gives me a sigh of relief. He's a player and he's a player NOW. What a huge benefit this will be.
2. Weird seeing Parker in #3. Also weird seeing a little love handles. Going to be a big summer for him.
3. #19 might be the best player we have. He is so disruptive.
4. #55 played well also and did Denhoff at end.
5. Steph Green is explosive. I would like to see him add about 10-15lbs. Can't wait to see him and Vic get PT.
5. This DL is just loaded on the field and in the coaching room. Going to carry our team imo. Amazing how dominate they are and Peter Woods wasn't even out there.
6. DBs are young but really talented. I suspect we see some incredible moments and some young guy problems as well. I like how #1 and #2 carry themselves. 2 is a dog. He's going to get more flags but I like him.
7. Hauser is a natural at Kicker. Thank goodness.
8. Amazing to see how much different Wes looks walking around the sidelines. He exudes confidence now which I will be honest....I didn't know if that would happen.
9. WRs room looking good. Thought Randall played really well despite the one wrong route causing the early INT. Antonio being back is a huge boost. He needs to stay healthy. Add in Brown, Stellato, Turner and hopefully TJ is what we think he is and we have a really good WR room.
10. Wesco not nearly as thin as I thought he was. He will make an impact now. Very shifty. Sammy Browns needs to chill though. He almost killed him.
11. The first int on Cade was evidently on Randall. The 2 drops by Feagin should have been and would be INTs vs UGA.
12. Feagin is going to be a really good player here.
13. EZ definitely LOOKS the part at RB. Has the size already and moves well. I will be interested to see what he becomes.
14. Interested to see how Sammy Brown develops and how much he plays this year. He looked extremely confident out there.
15. I didn't see any really bad snaps all game. A couple high ones but overall was encouraging for sure.
16. The LB group looks better than I thought. Woodaz was flying around. Barrett and Woodaz are very legit. I think Brown will quickly be the 3 best but Kobe and Crayton look decent as well. If Anderson can add another 10lbs he can really develop into a really good LB.

OK QBS....

1. I don't think Cade looked as bad as people made it out to be. He looked more in control than we have seen in the past. Looked more confident. Threw very good balls for the most part. He currently gives us the best chance to win and is clearly the #1 imo. However like I mentioned above he just makes boneheaded decisions with the ball and puts it in jeopardy way too often. I am not sure he really knows how to read the defenses post snap and go through his progressions properly. Well....he likely KNOWS this but it seems when that ball is snapped he is still chaotic especially if that first read isn't open. He has the athletic ability to make plays and I put my hopes in the fact that when the pocket breaks down he can still make plays. When he is at QB I hope we move the pocket more than we did last year.

2. Trent is definitely the #2. He doesn't have the arm talent that our previous QBs had or that even Cade has. I don't think he has the arm strength to really scare anyone downfield. If he did there would not be any question who the starter would be. I will say I was surprised by his confidence leading the offense. He had command of that thing as they went down the field. The one thing I love about him is he seems to go through the proper progressions. I feel like with Riley's offense that is the most important thing you can do. I don't think he locks on pre snap like Cade seems to do. My one concern, only bc we haven't seen it, is what happens when he faces elite pressure. When that pocket is collapsing really quickly how does he react? My gut is there is where Cade separates himself a bit.

Obviously we don't see everything the coaches see in practice and the film room and to make a decision on one scrimmage is foolish. At this point based on my limited exposure I would say Cade #1, Trent #2, Vizz #3. I hope we can get up by enough in some games to let Trent see the field but I am not sure that happens especially early..maybe Stanford lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News