ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts (Berlin Edition)

dbjork6317

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2009
So as most of you know I am currently in Berlin and was not able to watch the game live. I have seen some clips and looked at the box score but for the most part, I really haven’t seen much of the game.

We all knew this was going to be a very difficult game and Georgia is certainly one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country. That said, if we truly do have a top 5 roster talent wise, it’s shocking how big the gap is between us at 5 and UGA at 1 or 2.

This Clemson team could still wind up being a very good team, could win 10 games, could win the ACC and get a playoff spot. But it’s obvious Clemson has still not gotten back to the elite level we strive for and IMO it really goes back to roster management and talent acquisition. It is no coincidence that Clemson’s downward turn in results directly correlated with the advent of the transfer portal and NIL.

But, it also directly correlates with the loss of Trevor Lawrence. We were spoiled with a generational QB in DW followed up by and an even generationalier QB in TL. That string of QBs couldn’t last forever, but since TL’s departure we haven’t been able to find a consistently serviceable QB. Is it talent acquisition? Is it development? Is it scheme? Hard to say. We’ve been through multiple OCs, multiple QB coaches, and multiple 5 star prospects.

I anticipated this being a 7-10 point UGA victory. I was thinking maybe a 17-10 type game as I didn’t think either team would be able to score much. but Clemson’s offense was just simply unable to maintain anything and keep UGA off the field, and our defense can only hold itself up against an elite opponent for so long, and I think our concerns about depth on defense showed themselves to be valid as the game went on.

Quite frankly, I was shocked when

This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

So as most of you know I am currently in Berlin and was not able to watch the game live. I have seen some clips and looked at the box score but for the most part, I really haven’t seen much of the game.

We all knew this was going to be a very difficult game and Georgia is certainly one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country. That said, if we truly do have a top 5 roster talent wise, it’s shocking how big the gap is between us at 5 and UGA at 1 or 2.

This Clemson team could still wind up being a very good team, could win 10 games, could win the ACC and get a playoff spot. But it’s obvious Clemson has still not gotten back to the elite level we strive for and IMO it really goes back to roster management and talent acquisition. It is no coincidence that Clemson’s downward turn in results directly correlated with the advent of the transfer portal and NIL.

But, it also directly correlates with the loss of Trevor Lawrence. We were spoiled with a generational QB in DW followed up by and an even generationalier QB in TL. That string of QBs couldn’t last forever, but since TL’s departure we haven’t been able to find a consistently serviceable QB. Is it talent acquisition? Is it development? Is it scheme? Hard to say. We’ve been through multiple OCs, multiple QB coaches, and multiple 5 star prospects.

I anticipated this being a 7-10 point UGA victory. I was thinking maybe a 17-10 type game as I didn’t think either team would be able to score much. but Clemson’s offense was just simply unable to maintain anything and keep UGA off the field, and our defense can only hold itself up against an elite opponent for so long, and I think our concerns about depth on defense showed themselves to be valid as the game went on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.