ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts (Long)

dbjork6317

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2009
In lieu of a quote to start off this week's edition of My Thoughts (Long) I felt it might be more apropos to just show a reaction gif of this guy

I'm pretty sure we were all making that wtf face multiple times throughout the game Saturday night.

As I watched this game back it became pretty clear pretty quickly that the primary contribution to our dismal performance came from the quarterback position. There are certainly other things to criticize both from players and coaches, but to my mind no single thing contributed to the loss more than really poor QB play. We knew going in that the offensive line would be outmatched and we knew there would be some ugliness from the offensive line. The QB play, however, was a surprise. I don't think any of us really anticipated such a poor performance from DJ after he seemed to perform much better last year against BC and Notre Dame.

When we talk about play calling, I've said it in these pieces lots of time, criticizing play calling tends to be lazy. That's an easy go to complaint when a fan doesn't really know what to actually complain about. And we see that a lot, right? We hear it in the stands "man run the dang bawl!" Or something along those lines. I typically challenge people here on this board to explain why play calling was bad and what they felt would have been a better call. So, in that spirit, we are going to look at some play calling and talk about why some plays were or weren't good calls and why they did or didn't work and I think a pattern that I'll go to is that while the play calling around the running game (i.e. not running enough) was not good, the more serious problem was the play design. We seemed to run a lot of plays, particularly in the passing game, that did not show that we understood what Georgia's area of strength was.

So, to my mind, bad QB play and poor pass play design seemed to reinforce each other throughout the night until it created a rather vicious cycle of suck. Since I think that these two topics were the most prevalent on the board and were the most significant contributors to the loss, I'll be focusing on that in this week's My Thoughts (Long) and will save the deep, deep dive into the OL play for a later game. We're definitely gonna talk about the OL, but perhaps not to the same extent as you'd normally find here.

One of the fascinating things about this game was that the Georgia offense and the Clemson offense were ostensibly in the same boat in that both were outmatched on the line of scrimmage and both offenses had to come up with ways to try to account for that weakness. The Georgia offense dealt with a lot of the same struggles that we did, their OL had a lot of the same issues that we did, but I do think that Georgia did a better job with a game plan that more adequately reflected that they understood they were outmatched up front and most of their play designs accounted for that factor. Clemson seemed all too wiling to get away from the concept that they were outmatched up front and, as a result, players were put in a spots that were kind of destined to fail at times.

And essentially you're looking at a 3-3 game. That's what each offense scored. Even with the pick 6 though, it felt like Clemson had more opportunities than Georgia did to make plays and missed those opportunities and it certainly felt like with the turnover on the punt and the interception in the 3rd quarter that Clemson should have been able to get the offense together enough to get the ball in the end zone a couple of times.

Clemson should have come into this game with a plan where the vast majority of play designs did not necessarily require great play from the offensive line. These would be screens, quick passes, edge runs, and the occasional go route for a shot at a 50/50 ball down the field. Clemson did do some of these things to varying degrees of success.

Let's start here. This is an excellent play. The OL doesn't have to be great here, they just have to not turn someone completely loose. The play fake works very well vs their extremely aggressive backers, the ball is out of DJ's hands quickly, and you give one of your best players a chance to go make a play in space. These are the kinds of plays that we should have hit and hit and hit while also handing that ball off from time to time to keep their LBs honest.

Here's another quick bubble. Again, its a nice play. I know that some of our fans have Rob Spence PTSD and roll their eyes on every WR screen, but this play just makes sense. What happens here though, is something kind of new. Watch Frank Ladson get just shoved to the ground here. Clemson's WRs have had a reputation as being excellent blockers over they years but in this game they didn't show that much. With a good block there there's a real chance EJ is able to turn that into 4-5 yards and get us into a 3rd and short situation.

Here's another one that should have been a big play. This was a perfect call and should have gone for a much bigger gain. I imagine Ladson is kicking himself for not turning that up inside. But again look at the poor blocking on the outside by EJ.

And its interesting who we choose to criticize and not criticize. Lots of criticism for Tony Elliott this week, but none for Tyler Grisham when the head coach himself has said that the WR group made a lot of mistakes?

And why not any for Brandon Streeter? The fundamental QB play in this game was downright abysmal and DJ has an issue in his throwing motion as well. DJ winds his arm up and loops it out away from his body. He reminds me of the way Kerry Collins used to throw the ball and that extra nano second in his throwing motion can be a factor against elite defenses.

Beyond that, the biggest issue with DJ was his complete lack of pocket awareness.

It started early, right here with the first sack of the game. McFadden gets bull rushed here but actually handles it OK. If DJ steps up or to his right he doesn't take that sack and he maybe notices that he's got a guy up at the top of the screen just standing there eating a ham sandwich waiting on the ball to get to him and would have easily gotten the first down. This would be a consistent issue throughout the night, DJ not stepping up in the pocket and creating more pressure on himself, and not finding open guys .

Here's another one. Step up and buy yourself the extra half second to turn your head and see Dixon all by himself to the right side. This happened a lot as well, DJ reading the wrong side of the field.

On Dixon, I was told before the game that he had been suspended by Dabo as a disciplinary action. I did not expect him to play at all, so not sure if it was just a first half suspension or what the situation was. But obviously he played some late in the game.

Another good look at DJ not stepping up. Instead of stepping up into the pocket, he moves laterally and takes the sack. I think he's probably got a completion right there over the middle if he's more decisive and gets the ball out.

Here's DJ reading the wrong side of the field again. If you check at the top of the screen he's got an open guy for an easy completion and first down but just never looks over there.

Here he's looking to the rights side but misses Galloway. Galloway is immediately open over the middle and has a chance to run for the first down after the catch. The truth is that the protection is fine here and they didn't bring pressure so if DJ had wanted to hold it for a second to hit something down field he could have, but really he should have just popped to to Galloway and let him try to make a play.

This might have been the only rollout we did the whole game. And look how well it worked. DJ has plenty of time and space, he's just indecisive. It looks like Allen is open, but if you decide he's not then turn it up and get 4-5 yards.

But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why we didn't do more rollouts like that. I can't figure out why we didn't move DJ around more, move the pocket around more, and do more to negate the advantage that they had at the LOS.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if we even fully understood that they did have an advantage on the LOS.

This is the kind of play you call when you know you're at a disadvantage up front. Its quick, its pretty easy, there's no waiting around. Yes he might get tackled short of the first down but you simply cannot bet on having the time to sit back and throw the ball downfield. Its much better to get the ball out to a playmaker in space and try to let him make a play, which he does here.

But far, far too often DJ simply didn't have short options to throw the ball to.

Here's a 3rd and 4. Why on earth do we not have guys running shorter, quicker routes to get the first down? We're running verticals at the top of the screen and having Galloway run an out route on a damn 3rd and 4 against probably the best defensive front we'll see all season. It simply makes no sense unless you don't happen to know that you aren't at a physical disadvantage up front. You have one guy running a stop route at the first down marker, one. And its the outside receiver which makes the throw longer and more difficult. If Galloway just takes a few steps inside and turns around, DJ can hit him for the first even with the blitzer getting onto him.

And boy did we have a problem picking up blitzes. In last week's My Thoughts (Long) I wrote about teams using a lot of twist stunts against us last year to try to pull us out of position and blitz into the gaps and my goodness UGA must have watched all that same film because they did it over and over and over again and they essentially did it to just one spot at that was over the right guard.

Now, its not like that's a revolutionary concept. We ran tons of twists with our front as well and their OL had a very hard time picking it up. We did it a little differently in that UGA used their LBs who were much faster whereas we used our DEs and got good pressure with it and Murphy had a big sack late off of a twist.

But when you watch this play, that blitzer that gets to DJ isn't even the blitzer that's supposed to get through. He's supposed to get picked up and occupy the guard so that the guy coming right behind him through the same gap can get in clean. When the guy lined up on you stunts away, you simply have to know that someone else is coming to take his spot and you've got to have your eyes up to find that guy.

Here's another one. Now here we do have short crossers that are open but DJ needs to get that ball out right away.

Here's another look at a blitzer. You can see here they're being a little more exotic. They're actually stunting over multiple gaps. The end is coming inside to the A gap and the backer over the left side B gap is stunting into the right side B gap. But you can see how quickly Bockhorst recognizes what's happening, lets his guy go on his stunt and immediately turns to his right and picks up the guy coming into that gap. Putnam doesn't do that. This is very much a fool me twice shame on me situation. They blitzed that gap several times and I don't know that we really picked it up once.

And that said, look from DJ's point of view...where can he throw the ball to quickly? The only real option here is Davis, who is running towards the sideline, making that a very difficult throw to make under pressure. Why we aren't running a short route to the middle of the field, I just don't know.

Another example of just a bunch of vertical routes. I just can't imagine why we would think it wise to run plays where DJ didn't have the option to get the ball out quickly.

Here's DJ's interception. Oh wait, no that's not the interception, that's us just running the exact same play the drive before the interception. Its 3rd down, on the left hash, we're in 10 personnel and in a 2x2 formation. And here you can literally see Ross run the route that Dabo said he should have run on the interception play.

Now lets fast forward to the next drive. Its 3rd down, on the left hash, in 10 personnel and a 2x2 formation.

Here's what happens. This time Ross runs the slant, the DB jumps it, and that's the difference in the game. At the bottom of the screen Ngata has run a little 4 yard stop route and is open for the first down.

On Ross, he sure didn't play very well himself did he? I'm really fascinated by the difference in how Dabo has talked about DJ and how he has talked about Ross. Dabo has been much more critical of Ross while deflecting most of the criticism on DJ. Dabo is incredibly strategic and is a master communicator and I have no doubt that the way he's talking about these guys in public is what he feels each player needs right now to get better. Even Tony Elliot was critical of Ross specifically and I imagine that was also strategic.

This was probably the play where I realized we just weren't going to win. Two guys running the exact same route, it was just a mess. I talked last week about Parks playing against the best competition he's ever faced and he gets beaten here. No amount of training or toughness can truly prepare you for experience of getting slammed into by a 6'4 310lb super athlete. You kind of have to take your lumps on that one and move forward.

Here's the next play. So he just got beaten by a bull rush, so here he gets his weight too far forward and the rusher just pulls him off balance and runs around him. Parks learning the important lesson that you've got to be balanced every play because good pass rushers will have multiple ways to beat you. DJ could have helped him out here by stepping up and I think Parks could have recovered. But again, where is DJ supposed to throw this ball? I know its 3rd and 16 but we only have one guy running short...did we really expect that DJ would have the time it takes to get the ball downfield on an obvious pass rushing situation?

Might have been a great time for a more standard RB screen. Might have worked too because we've never run one of those before. Or how about a TE middle screen? Feels like there were a lot of play types that were left on the table that an offense would typically run against a good defensive front.

But we thought this would work

And if we never run this play again, it would be too soon. This play absolutely sucks. I mean just look at it. Why would you try to run this against an elite front? It immediately sets the OL up to fail by having them take a hitch step so now they can't even get head up on the guys they're trying to block. Why would we think would work against an NFL caliber front? I feel like maybe it worked one time and so now we have a little gold star sticker next to it on the play sheet and we have to get it in once per game.

Other things on offense - hard to really judge run blocking because we only ran a handful of true run plays. We had some success with a couple of them. We did have one play where we asked Marcus Tate to reach block Jordan Davis and that was just never going to work. I thought Tchio played really well when he came in in the 4th, I'm still pretty high on him. I'm not sure that putting him in at LG and bumping Tate over to RG wouldn't be something worth trying right now.

I was really disappointed in Putnam's play, I had higher expectations for him coming into this season. Obviously he might still go on to have an amazing year, but I expected him to perform at a higher level Saturday than I perceive that he did.

And ultimately, that's the hard part, right? We can't know for sure who messed what up. I can't know to a certainty WRs weren't running the wrong routes every play or if a blitzer wasn't actually Putnam's responsibility. I can only go by what I see and make educated guesses. Just like I can't truly know what players are being instructed to do by coaches and I can't know which coach is actually calling which plays.

Last week I wondered which players would be the ones to step up and deliver when we got punched in the mouth. And on the offensive side, it sure seems like the answer was - nobody. We've got a couple weeks to grow and get better, and we better improve before those NC State/BC games because those guys are going to be smelling blood after watching our offensive tape.

Defensively, we are, uh, pretty good. Xavier Thomas didn't make any "big" plays but he's looking back to form. Watch him here.

The big story on defense though has to be the emergence of Andrew Mukuba. I mean this guy was just a baller out there. Very happy to see us at least seemingly find an answer to our safety concerns. I'm sure he'll have some growing pains as the year goes on but boy he flashed quite a bit Saturday night.

There will be no My Thoughts (Long) next week since we are playing SC State and it is pretty much worthless to try to glean anything from that game. If I'm having to do a My Thoughts (Long) after a game like that then something has gone terribly wrong.

Go Tigers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News