ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts (Medium)

dbjork6317

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2009
Wanted to weigh in on Tyler v Dabo now that I’ve heard the audio.

Firstly, Tyler probably pushed too hard and began ranting himself and could have come up with a much more effective way to say what he wanted to say.

Secondly, Dabo’s response was the most Dabo response that Dabo has ever responded. Him talking about wanting to get an education so he got 2 degrees, wanted to play for alabama so earned a scholarship, etc - that’s Dabo in a nutshell. Always the underdog, no one believes in him, and he sets out to prove everyone wrong. “You probably didn’t want me to have the job” - this is something Dabo is still, still hung up on. That some people didn’t think he was a great hire, or that in 2010 after Clemson’s first losing season in over a decade, some people didn‘t think it was going well.

In a way, this is why Dabo is perfect for Clemson. Clemson and Clemson people have oft considered themselves much the same way. We’re the little guy who never gets the respect we deserve. And that’s who Dabo is.

But, like Tyler, he probably could have found a more eloquent way of saying that and handled it with more grace. He probably didn’t need to go calling another man (who says he served overseas) a “smart ass kid.” He continues to poke and prod at the fanbase and call the fans and alumni the problem. To be fair to Dabo, he’s always done this (remember quack quack quack?) to the point that after his first ACC title, instead of celebrating, he took the chance to call out the fans who weren’t “all in.” After his first national title, instead of celebrating, he took the chance to call out a member of the media.

Dabo lives and breathes to prove others wrong. Its what makes him great and, quite frankly, what sometimes makes him insufferable.

But in general, I don’t have a problem with a head coach pushing back against a fan. Especially when the question is “why are we paying you $11.5 million” because Dabo’s answer to that is correct - he’s earned that salary by leading the program to heights heretofore unseen at Clemson and at most college football programs. He elevated not only Clemson football, but the profile of the entire University. I’d think $11.5 million is well worth it for what Dabo has brought to Clemson over the last decade and a half. And I don’t have a problem with a coach telling a fan he’s gone too far, or calling out a bad question.

What I do have a problem with, a very serious problem with, is Dabo’s oft-repeated “I’ll just go somewhere else.” This is where you lose me. This is where you start sounding like you think you’re bigger than the program, bigger than the University. Its patronizing and its insulting. Does he expect fans to just go ”no wait, I take it back! I love this 4-4 season!” He’s like a customer in a flea market “if you don’t give me what I want, I’ll take my business elsewhere.” Meanwhile he is the 2nd highest paid coach in college football, meanwhile he does have a guaranteed contract. Meanwhile I’ve followed 8 weeks worth of call in shows and this is the first person that said really anything directly negative about Dabo at all. But he’s just gonna take his ball and go home? As if when he leaves Clemson will just stop playing football? As if we’ll just tear down the stadium?

Imagine being married to someone and everytime you get in an argument they say “well let’s just get divorced.” Its like we’re in an emotionally abusive relationship. Are you committed to CLEMSON or are you committed to your own ego?

And where, exactly, does Dabo intend to go where the “appreciation is greater than the expectaion.” Try going 4-4 at Alabama or Georgia or Ohio State or anywhere else that would be able to pay a coach $11.5 million. You’ll get the same response, maybe even worse.

Does he want to quit and go coach at Furman? Go ahead. Maybe there they’ll bow down and worship every step he takes, maybe there he can be the God of football and demand nothing but praise and get the “appreciation” he so craves.

I grew up watching Clemson games, and at no point did I ever say “well maybe I’ll just start pulling for another team.” I attended Clemson and was a part of the program, and at no point did I say “maybe i’ll just transfer to another school.” At no point have I said “maybe I’ll just tear up my Clemson degree.” I’m flying across the damn country to go see Clemson get curb stomped by Notre Dame this week and I’ll be in the stands with a tear in my eye as they run down the hill and at not one single point will I think “maybe I should just quit coming to Clemson games, maybe I should just stop donating money, maybe I should just throw in the towel because Clemson needs ME more than I need Clemson.”

So by all means, be salty. Push back on a fan that comes at you the wrong way, have a chip on your shoulder and play the role of the underdog. But if your commitment to Clemson is so weak that you’re willing to leave because “1.5%” of the fans don’t appreciate you properly, then GTFO. I promise you that in Clemson, where the blue ridge yawns its greatness, the sun will still come up tomorrow morning o’er the mountain height.

Go Tigers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News