NBA Ratings In Free Fall Since Going Woke Left – Down 45 Percent Since 2012

TigerGrowls

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001

By Mike LaChance
Published April 18, 2021 at 1:12am
6FC50EE7-2BA9-4093-81DD-9ABCDE7E4AC9.jpeg

The biggest mistake professional sports have ever made, was their decision to embrace left-wing politics.
Most sports fans lean right and don’t want politics injected into the games they watch. They certainly don’t want to be lectured to.
Now sports are paying the price, particularly the NBA.
OutKick reports:
TRENDING: Marjorie Taylor Greene Says She Will Introduce Resolution to Expel Maxine Waters From Congress
IT’S TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THE NBA’S RATINGS
Self-inflicted wounds are purposely ignored until they can’t be. For the NBA, that moment is inching closer.
Coming into the 2020-21 season, NBA games on ABC — the league’s most important partner — were down 45% since 2011-12. On cable, it’s only slightly less damning. NBA broadcasts on TNT were down 40% and 20% on ESPN.
To stick with more recent trends, the past two NBA Finals crashed to double-digit declines, with the most recent falling down 51% to an all-time record low. Last season’s NBA on ABC games fit that same category, recording the lowest average (2.95 million) on record. According to The Athletic’s Ethan Strauss, that record will break once again this season.
“Eventually, it will be official: The NBA again lost viewership on its ABC games, down from last season’s all-time low,” Strauss writes. “Based on how this average drops as the season moves along (it starts off highest after the Christmas games bonanza), we can safely project that the ABC games will finish at a mark that’s lower than last season.”
What’s going to happen when the players aren’t paid big bucks anymore? That’s coming.

This was entirely self-inflicted.
The NBA made a huge mistake.

Cross-posted from American Lookout.

Sorry...somewill not like it....but there is something to be said for just shut up and play. Your being paid as an entertainer....even the biggest. Hollywood. stars do not get nearly involved as some of these athletes
You’re *

Reactions: TheValley91
I personally have watched less over the years because of the (poor) quality of product on the floor.

Still the best players in the world, but the game is not interesting to me when only 1-2 playing are part of the game. Playoffs when 10 on the floor are invested....I watch.

As for the politics. I agree that hasn’t helped either.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Said it before, but I’ll say it again, Freedom of Speech applies all the way around here:

The NBA (or anyone else for that matter) is totally free to express themselves however they want (yes kneeling included) but the general public is also free to turn it off (and I think that was very easily predicted).

Reality is that the NBA doesn't care because they have been positioning themselves to be a global product. Even if they lose as few million viewers in America it will be made up for with a billion viewers around the world.

Great product. Those who don’t watch due to politics—which rarely if ever comes up during a game—are missing out.
. If you owned a business that could sell 10 million widgets a year by just producing and promoting those widgets but then decided to take a hard political stance which resulted in you only selling 5 million widgets. Wouldn't you be an idiot?

. If you owned a business that could sell 10 million widgets a year by just producing and promoting those widgets but then decided to take a hard political stance which resulted in you only selling 5 million widgets. Wouldn't you be an idiot?
Yeah I suppose.

But aren’t the “fans” who let themselves get rustled by a few tweets idiots too?

To each their own. I hardly watched regular season games in the past but the wealth of amazing players has led me to watch several of late. There’s some great ball being played now—probably the best ever.

I don’t tweet so really have no idea where the woke stuff is coming from. Don’t see it and don’t care either.

Euro step is a travel, poor defense, 3 pt contest during games, minimal movement leads to 1 on 1 constantly with 8 others standing around. NBA = Not Basketball Anymore. Not to mention players wearing obscure colored shoes and accessories, supposed to match 1 of 3 team colors. It's a fashion show not a proper basketball product.

Completely disagree. It’s become a three point shooting contest. Either that or free throws. Almost looks like a game you’d see at a rec center but with better players.
Are you actually watching? When players take really difficult shots—and make them—due to great ball movement, it’s great ball imo.

This ain’t the late 90s early 2000s era of one on one ball. That period drove me away from the nba for quite awhile.

Now we have Westbrook who will avg his 3rd triple double season with 11 boards and assists per and he’s not on any mvp lists.

Amazing time to be a fan...as long as you aren’t easily offended

when people view things mainly through a political lease their knowledge of correlation vs causation goes out the window.

The NBA has been garbage since the 80s snd 90s. Now with millionaire cry babies bitching about how they are slaves; I think it’s safe to say they jumped the shark.

Reactions: C-TeamHOF
I don't watch the NBA anyways, it is a terrible product. So they aren't missing my viewership. Now MLB. I haven't watched an inning of a MLB game this year due to their actions. And I don't plan to watch any. I did watch baseball.

Jordan correctly said “Republicans buy shoes too”. The NBA was at its height when Jordan ruled the league. It’s in a nosedive with Lebron.
Like some have said it’s the players right to speak out but it’s the fans right to not participate. I am conservative. I don’t believe in “open borders” but if Lebron got on post game or Twitter railing on it I would think he were stupid still. But I guess being conservative many times includes not force feeding your political views down others throats.

off topic but remember when Lebron was asked why people in Ohio voted for Trump and he said “their just uneducated”. lol like he went to Harvard or any college. He didn’t even go to tech anyway.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
NBA and MLB.....what a shame.

Won't be watching either for a very long time. I'm sure there are millions of people who feel the same way. Can't be good for ratings when you turn off that many people in the public

Reactions: TigerGrowls
I don't understand people who get so upset with athletes having different opinions. Sammy thinks he's a reptile, I'm still going to watch him play ball.

Reactions: marshmk
no one cares. Viewership and attendence are way down. Sure attendance was hurt by states being shut down.

But the NBA money is not from ticket sales. People will still buy jerseys and the China bank rolling is huge.

As mentioned, the NBA has put more into making themselves a global brand and money comes from around the world. They really don't care about whether or not any of us watch on TV or go to a game. Just keep buying stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT