ADVERTISEMENT

NC State announcer Gary Hahn to be reinstated Jan. 14

Silverstreak02

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2021
Charlotte
He was suspended on Dec. 30 for referencing illegal aliens in El Paso during NC State’s broadcast of the Mayo Bowl.

He’ll return for NC State’s home basketball game against Miami on Jan. 12

Appropriate imo
I’m sure some higher up made him take a sensitivity course and promise to never do it again.

He’s been calling their games a long time, I have to imagine that was a factor in not just letting him go. The PR blowback could be rough for a little bit but I don’t think what he said was all that offensive, just really bad judgment for the moment.

I’m sure some higher up made him take a sensitivity course and promise to never do it again.

He’s been calling their games a long time, I have to imagine that was a factor in not just letting him go. The PR blowback could be rough for a little bit but I don’t think what he said was all that offensive, just really bad judgment for the moment.
Yeah. I thought it was a very stupid statement but losing his job seems harsh.

It was a true statement
There was no reason for him to say that completely out of context even though it’s true. He threw it in there so unnecessarily. He was asking for a two week vacation and got one.

Reactions: MITGR99
He was suspended on Dec. 30 for referencing illegal aliens in El Paso during NC State’s broadcast of the Mayo Bowl.

He’ll return for NC State’s home basketball game against Miami on Jan. 12

What he said was funny AF. And true. The fact he was disciplined at all is disappointing. So tired of the weirdos running shvt.

There was no reason for him to say that completely out of context even though it’s true. He threw it in there so unnecessarily. He was asking for a two week vacation and got one.
The bowl game activities were impacted by the influx of illegals. He was brining attention to the situation. It is uncomfortable to discuss in a candid manner, but it needs to be discussed.

The bowl game activities were impacted by the influx of illegals. He was brining attention to the situation. It is uncomfortable to discuss in a candid manner, but it needs to be discussed.
During the NC State game while giving a score update? Probably not.

No one ITT (or the previous one) disputes whether what he said was true, just that it wasn’t the appropriate forum.

an event was cancelled for the housing of illegals...

He took his microphone and freedom of speech to make a comment on it. I guarantee if he would have made a positive statement on illegals he would not have been suspended.

Reverse it: he follows the score with "and let's take a moment bless the people of the El Paso Convention Center for their care of the 1000s of migrants that they are housing." and crickets

But he takes a shot at our borders being open and the place being overrun by migrants and he's an asshole and needs disciplined

What he said was funny AF. And true. The fact he was disciplined at all is disappointing. So tired of the weirdos running shvt.
Calling someone fat and stupid might also be funny and true, but tact demands that we not do that. In this case, there doesn’t seem to have been much reason to have said what he said. I do think people are overly offended by the word “illegal” and overly sensitive on behalf of immigrants, and that saying something that sounded more progressive might not have gotten notoriety. Also, there was a pretty unique situation going on in El Paso with their convention center being used to house immigrants. But just throwing out the thing about illegal immigrants randomly was silly.

I do think suspending him was too much, though. A little reprimand should’ve been enough.

can somebody send me the book that tells me what i can and can't say in front of a woke audience?

i need the most up to date version please.

you have freedom of speech until someone you offend decides you don't. Hope this helps

3onzvo.gif

Reactions: FightingDevilTiger
Calling someone fat and stupid might also be funny and true, but tact demands that we not do that. In this case, there doesn’t seem to have been much reason to have said what he said. I do think people are overly offended by the word “illegal” and overly sensitive on behalf of immigrants, and that saying something that sounded more progressive might not have gotten notoriety. Also, there was a pretty unique situation going on in El Paso with their convention center being used to house immigrants. But just throwing out the thing about illegal immigrants randomly was silly.

I do think suspending him was too much, though. A little reprimand should’ve been enough.

if a homeless person enters your place of residence to have a safe place to reside, are they illegal or nah? You going to call the police or are you going to have an open door policy that people can enter and reside as they wish?

Why is it insensitive to use the word illegal when someone enters anywhere that they are not legally supposed to be. If you are not legally allowed to be there, you are illegally there. It really should be that simple

Reactions: FightingDevilTiger
if a homeless person enters your place of residence to have a safe place to reside, are they illegal or nah? You going to call the police or are you going to have an open door policy that people can enter and reside as they wish?

Why is it insensitive to use the word illegal when someone enters anywhere that they are not legally supposed to be. If you are not legally allowed to be there, you are illegally there. It really should be that simple
Don’t ask me. I don’t have a problem with the phrase. I don’t think it’s appropriate to insert random comments about immigration when you’re just reading off scores of bowl games and mentioning El Paso. I agree that something more progressive sounding probably doesn’t get much attention, but I’d rather have consistent standards than to change my standards depending on what other people do.

It’s also pretty goofy to try to make this into a free speech issue when nobody’s being charged with a crime and we all agree that there are things that are inappropriate for a sports commentator to say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT