ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix Will Not Be Woke

Wrong board.

What? Nobody is forcing you to open, read, or contribute to this thread.

Anyway, I quit Netflix after this abomination:

Untitled-design-2-scaled.jpg

Netflix-Cuties.jpg

Leave Wanda, Olivia, Kate and Elena out of this.

I don’t know what the photos are that you just showed, but anyone can simply just not watch what they don’t want to.
It’s incredibly easy to do it. I do it everyday, even.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
What? Nobody is forcing you to open, read, or contribute to this thread.

Anyway, I quit Netflix after this abomination:

Untitled-design-2-scaled.jpg

Netflix-Cuties.jpg
Nailed it.

Netflix employees have no problem with pedophilia, but Dave Chapelle making jokes, and spreading the truth, about the delusion of transgenderism, that's too much. Get bent dumbasses, nobody cares about your opinion.

Leave Wanda, Olivia, Kate and Elena out of this.

I don’t know what the photos are that you just showed, but anyone can simply just not watch what they don’t want to.
It’s incredibly easy to do it. I do it everyday, even.
And yet you pay to service that content.

Shameful.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
Nailed it.

Netflix employees have no problem with pedophilia, but Dave Chapelle making jokes, and spreading the truth, about the delusion of transgenderism, that's too much. Get bent dumbasses, nobody cares about your opinion.
Well, that movie was against pedophilia and sexualizing children, even if it went about it in a questionable way (which was supposed to be disturbing).

Reactions: tigerGUY
Do you have Netflix? If so, you are providing money for these types of programs regardless of whether you watch them.
Lots of other content that left-wing employees apparently don’t approve of, too, although not enough of it and too much pushing progressive points of view. The idea that Cuties promoted pedophilia is silly, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Overwatch
Well, that movie was against pedophilia and sexualizing children, even if it went about it in a questionable way (which was supposed to be disturbing).

I’ve seen you posting a similar position on tMB.

I’m against murder but let me show you a video of me murdering someone so you know how bad it is. That’s your logic.

Reactions: scartiger
I’ve seen you posting a similar position on tMB.

I’m against murder but let me show you a video of me murdering someone so you know how bad it is. That’s your logic.
Yeah, murder is never portrayed in movies that aren’t promoting murder. In fact, violence is frequently depicted to show how disturbingly wrong it is. Silly example.

You’re talking about a movie that was well reviewed by people who all commented on the fact that the movie wants you to be disturbed by the sexualization of children. I think portraying it at all is questionable, even if you’re supposed to be disturbed by it. But if you think the movie is trying to promote the sexualization of children, you’re just being ignorant.

Reactions: UptownRETiger
Yeah, murder is never portrayed in movies that aren’t promoting murder. Silly example.

You’re talking about a movie that was well reviewed by people who all commented on the fact that the movie wants you to be disturbed by the sexualization of children. I think portraying it at all is questionable, even if you’re supposed to be disturbed by it. But if you think the movie is trying to promote the sexualization of children, you’re just being ignorant.
Who needs a movie to tell people that sexualization of children is bad???

And why sexualize children in said movie? WTF?

Apparently the kind of people who let their kids participate in these kinds of dance shows, beauty contests, etc. Teen girls are constantly having to deal with messages telling them they need to advertise their sexuality.

Ok. I’ll make sure I don’t watch it. Doesn’t seem like something I’d enjoy.

Oh, and Seinfeld is on there. That’s a good show too. Just to occupy myself so I don’t watch something I don’t want to.

What ignorance.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
Yeah, murder is never portrayed in movies that aren’t promoting murder. Silly example.

Think about what you’re saying here. It’s madness. Nobody needs to “be disturbed by the sexualization of children.” There is no need to make that point and nobody wants to see it.

And why sexualize children in said movie? WTF?
You’re supposed to find it gross and disturbing. As I said, I think doing it at all is questionable. But saying the movie promotes pedophilia or is a movie for pedophiles is dumb.

Reactions: tigerGUY
You’re supposed to find it gross and disturbing. As I said, I think doing it at all is questionable. But saying the movie promotes pedophilia or is a movie for pedophiles is dumb.
We can disagree but the fact you even had to type that says enough imo

This is getting creepy.
Here’s an excerpt from a positive review (written by a woman, about a movie made by a woman, about girls) just to help you understand what the movie is about:

Near the end of Cuties, its 11-year-old heroines take the stage at a dance competition with a routine that wouldn't be out of place in a strip club. Clad in sparkly short-shorts and crop tops, they hump the floor, grab their crotches, lick their lips, and throw their heads back in a naive simulation of sex, to the visible discomfort of their audience.

It's possibly the film's most disturbing scene, and for some reason, it's also the scene Netflix chose to highlight in their early marketing, sparking an outcry they should've seen coming from a mile away. (The company has since apologized.) What both the ill-conceived marketing and subsequent controversy are missing, however, is everything about the context.

Yes, it's upsetting, and it's supposed to be — because the whole point of Cuties is how damn hard it can be for girls to navigate womanhood in a society that's all too eager to tell girls and women what they should be, and not at all interested in what they might be or want to be.

Written and directed by Maïma Doucouré, Cuties is the story of Amy (Fathia Youssouf), who's just immigrated to Paris from Senegal with her devout Muslim mother and two younger brothers. While the family waits for Dad to join them, Amy becomes intrigued by a neighbor, Angelica (Médina El Aidi-Azouni), whom she (and we) first see from the back, gyrating to music in skintight pants and a belly-baring shirt. It's a mild surprise when she turns around and we see she's Amy's age. Angelica and her friends, the Cuties, come across as cool and worldly to the sheltered Amy, in ways Amy's conservative family would never approve of. Which, of course, is part of the appeal.

… But in both horrific scenes and adorable ones, what remains consistent is Doucouré's honesty. She shows these moments as they are, in all their silliness and ugliness, without packaging them in easy moralizing or faux empowerment. Amy's attempts to put on a more grown-up sexuality may be unsettling to watch, but they're also true to a world that bombards girls with the message that, whether they cover up or bare it all, keep their heads down and cook or shake their asses on the dance floor, womanhood is whatever men need it to be. That climactic scene of her writhing on stage isn't about showing Amy as a sexual being, but about taking to task a culture that struggles to see young women any other way.

Rather than deny those harsh truths, Cutiesgives Amy and her friends the space to experiment within them, no matter how clumsily and misguidedly, and no matter how upsetting we in the audience might find it. By doing so, Doucouré extends to these girls a generosity that, as we've seen in the film, is so often denied them by the rest of the world — the freedom to figure out how they want to navigate it.

Apparently the kind of people who let their kids participate in these kinds of dance shows, beauty contests, etc. Teen girls are constantly having to deal with messages telling them they need to advertise their sexuality.
They are reminded and told that it’s not ok….. the psycho moms just don’t care.

Whether it be
- peer parents
- Dr Phil
- the kids themselves

Then why double down and say you’re gonna get another membership/account or whatever? Seems purposeful
It ‘Twas a joke. I was being a d!ck because I find this woke/boycott issue funny.
I don’t watch or agree with Fox News, but I watch football on their channels.
I don’t watch or agree with MSNBC, but I watch golf, EPL and NFL on their channels.

Im just saying that I can continue to watch Netflix despite the fact that there’s a show on there that I won’t ever see.

It ‘Twas a joke. I was being a d!ck because I find this woke/boycott issue funny.
I don’t watch or agree with Fox News, but I watch football on their channels.
I don’t watch or agree with MSNBC, but I watch golf, EPL and NFL on their channels.

Im just saying that I can continue to watch Netflix despite the fact that there’s a show on there that I won’t ever see.
Fair enough but none of the examples you posted are normalizing (trying to normalize) pedophilia.

They are reminded and told that it’s not ok….. the psycho moms just don’t care.

Whether it be
- peer parents
- Dr Phil
- the kids themselves
It’s that, and the general messages that girls get about their sexuality that the movie explores. It’s clearly not in favor of sexualizing young girls.

From an interview with Doucoure: https://time.com/5886184/cuties-netflix-maimouna-doucoure/?amp=true

“For me, this film is sounding an alarm,” the French Senegalese director told TIME, ahead of the worldwide release of Cuties on Netflix on Sept. 9. “This film tries to show that our children should have the time to be children, and we as adults should protect their innocence and keep them innocent as long as possible.”

“I just hope that these people will watch the film, because then they will realise we are actually on the same side of this battle against the hypersexualization of children,” she say

Here’s an excerpt from a positive review (written by a woman, about a movie made by a woman, about girls) just to help you understand what the movie is about:

Near the end of Cuties, its 11-year-old heroines take the stage at a dance competition with a routine that wouldn't be out of place in a strip club. Clad in sparkly short-shorts and crop tops, they hump the floor, grab their crotches, lick their lips, and throw their heads back in a naive simulation of sex, to the visible discomfort of their audience.

It's possibly the film's most disturbing scene, and for some reason, it's also the scene Netflix chose to highlight in their early marketing, sparking an outcry they should've seen coming from a mile away. (The company has since apologized.) What both the ill-conceived marketing and subsequent controversy are missing, however, is everything about the context.

Yes, it's upsetting, and it's supposed to be — because the whole point of Cuties is how damn hard it can be for girls to navigate womanhood in a society that's all too eager to tell girls and women what they should be, and not at all interested in what they might be or want to be.

Written and directed by Maïma Doucouré, Cuties is the story of Amy (Fathia Youssouf), who's just immigrated to Paris from Senegal with her devout Muslim mother and two younger brothers. While the family waits for Dad to join them, Amy becomes intrigued by a neighbor, Angelica (Médina El Aidi-Azouni), whom she (and we) first see from the back, gyrating to music in skintight pants and a belly-baring shirt. It's a mild surprise when she turns around and we see she's Amy's age. Angelica and her friends, the Cuties, come across as cool and worldly to the sheltered Amy, in ways Amy's conservative family would never approve of. Which, of course, is part of the appeal.

… But in both horrific scenes and adorable ones, what remains consistent is Doucouré's honesty. She shows these moments as they are, in all their silliness and ugliness, without packaging them in easy moralizing or faux empowerment. Amy's attempts to put on a more grown-up sexuality may be unsettling to watch, but they're also true to a world that bombards girls with the message that, whether they cover up or bare it all, keep their heads down and cook or shake their asses on the dance floor, womanhood is whatever men need it to be. That climactic scene of her writhing on stage isn't about showing Amy as a sexual being, but about taking to task a culture that struggles to see young women any other way.

Rather than deny those harsh truths, Cutiesgives Amy and her friends the space to experiment within them, no matter how clumsily and misguidedly, and no matter how upsetting we in the audience might find it. By doing so, Doucouré extends to these girls a generosity that, as we've seen in the film, is so often denied them by the rest of the world — the freedom to figure out how they want to navigate it.

So we should agree with a review from someone who already likely has an agenda? Or not, that’s really irrelevant to my next point.

I guess you’re telling me not to trust my lying eyes and ears when it comes to the subject matter at hand. I should take the opinion of a reviewer as truth?

WOW

Ministry of truth type stuff here.

Fair enough but none of the examples you posted are normalizing (trying to normalize) pedophilia.
As Jim Jeffries closes out his podcast, I don’t know about that.
Literally. So I will leave the conversation, as I do not know the show and therefore cannot form an opinion about said show.
But I likely will keep my one Netflix account regardless.

Reactions: Overwatch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT