ADVERTISEMENT

November 4th, 2020

It's funny to me that people who say stuff like this accuse other people of being politics-obsessed. This virus isn't primarily a political issue, and it's not just a big deal because a national election is coming up. But people have managed to politicize it anyway, to the point that now the point man for the Federal government's (led by the guy they like) response is a scapegoat.

I do have no doubt that the media will portray the national response to the Wuhan Virus different if a Democrat is in office, but I also predict it'll almost be weird to go back to anyone less crazy and incompetent than Trump (and I'm not just referring to Biden here- I mean almost anybody else).

Last edited:
3xluqtns3ru41.png

It's funny to me that people who say stuff like his accuse other people of being politics-obsessed. This virus isn't primarily a political issue, and it's not just a big deal because a national election is coming up. But people have managed to politicize it anyway, to the point that now the point man for the Federal government's (led by the guy they like) response is a scapegoat.

I do have no doubt that the media will portray the national response to the Wuhan Virus different if a Democrat is in office, but I also predict it'll almost be weird to go back to anyone less crazy and incompetent than Trump (and I'm not just referring to Biden here- I mean almost anybody else).
Bless your heart

Im not for the most part. But I do think it's being politticized and sensationalized by many. I don't think that's unreasonable
It is, but this really is a "both sides" thing. It's clear that there's some sort of calculus for some people where they've decided the virus can't be a problem if people who dislike Trump and would like to politicize the virus think it's a problem, or if people are criticizing Trump over his response to the virus. The defensiveness about Trump is silly, and so is believing Trump is the root of all evil. Trump didn't cause the virus, and neither did opposition to Trump.

What you do is you wake up the next day happy to be alive and live your life.

Is there something else different that people do every 4 years if their candidate loses?
I agree completely and its the way it should be, but I remember when Trump won there were multiple protests and blocking of highways and interstates. Dont think that would happen if Biden wins and so what does that tell you?

I agree completely and its the way it should be, but I remember when Trump won there were multiple protests and blocking of highways and interstates. Dont think that would happen if Biden wins and so what does that tell you?

It tells me that Republicans will be at work and don’t have the time or immaturity to protest.

Because it’s an American only issue designed to defeat Trump?

This board.

If you don't taje a step back and see that this is all blown out of proportion due to the dems hating Trump then can't help ya. We haven't had a single riot or blocked interstate since 2016 the magically is civil unrest in 2020, everyone is a racist, screw history America is bad and we need to change everything, Trump is racist, now we hace the bubonic plague coming back, also some mutation of H1N1 that kills 50% of people us abiut to be here.... come on man the dems are hoping they can cause enough civil unrest that even pubs will vote opposite so this nightmare will end

If you don't taje a step back and see that this is all blown out of proportion due to the dems hating Trump then can't help ya. We haven't had a single riot or blocked interstate since 2016 the magically is civil unrest in 2020, everyone is a racist, screw history America is bad and we need to change everything, Trump is racist, now we hace the bubonic plague coming back, also some mutation of H1N1 that kills 50% of people us abiut to be here.... come on man the dems are hoping they can cause enough civil unrest that even pubs will vote opposite so this nightmare will end
Ok boomer

Reactions: marshmk and ahcurti
I just wonder what the brainiacs actually think could have been done differently. What would Hillary have done that could have changed things for the virus? What about Biden. If he wins and it is still out there in the news. What will he change that will save us all?

the virus is infecting and killing people. No doubt. But to think there was some response others would have done to have made a huge difference that Trump didnt without completely crippling the economy and workforce and education, well I would like to know that plan.

Reactions: TM2013
It is, but this really is a "both sides" thing. It's clear that there's some sort of calculus for some people where they've decided the virus can't be a problem if people who dislike Trump and would like to politicize the virus think it's a problem, or if people are criticizing Trump over his response to the virus. The defensiveness about Trump is silly, and so is believing Trump is the root of all evil. Trump didn't cause the virus, and neither did opposition to Trump.

I agree with everything in this post.

As far as the bold portion, you have to ask yourself, what came first? One of those is the cause, and the other is the effect.

Go back 4 years, no one thought Trump would be President. Not the right, and especially not the left. But then, once it happened, the left looked like a bunch of idiots for stating their opinions as a matter of fact, so they had to take it a step further, and just act like Trump was the biggest (insert exaggerated and unfounded insult). Pathetic but predictable.

People need to grow up and mature.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
Trump's highest approval poll numbers of his ENTIRE PRESIDENCY were this past May, when he was doing some sense of leading through the early days of the pandemic. I submit that he would be more popular than ever - and a strong bet for re-election - if we were reopening after suppressing the virus, a la Europe and Canada. LOL that this is a conspiracy against him.

The excuses for his epic loss are already beginning.

The question is: will y'all whine about the loss as much as Hillary supporters did in '16?

I just wonder what the brainiacs actually think could have been done differently. What would Hillary have done that could have changed things for the virus? What about Biden. If he wins and it is still out there in the news. What will he change that will save us all?

the virus is infecting and killing people. No doubt. But to think there was some response others would have done to have made a huge difference that Trump didnt without completely crippling the economy and workforce and education, well I would like to know that plan.
Shutting down two week earlier even. Mandating masks be worn which would have allowed us to reopen and keep the curve flat.

Reactions: ahcurti
My nephew lost his senior season at Harvard today. Ivy League canceled all fall sports. He was 1st in depth chart prior to spring practice at OLB. Feel so bad for him. This is the lost year in recent history.

Could he take a year off school and then come back next year or possibly transfer? Im sure his Harvard degree is the number priority of course, so probably not in his thoughts.

It's funny to me that people who say stuff like this accuse other people of being politics-obsessed. This virus isn't primarily a political issue, and it's not just a big deal because a national election is coming up. But people have managed to politicize it anyway, to the point that now the point man for the Federal government's (led by the guy they like) response is a scapegoat.

Sir.. you're either blind, crippled or fvcking crazy.

I can't help but get sucked into these threads every time, but usually I find that the people who are treat the issues as i am right and you are wrong seem to be least informed. Let's be clear no matter who the president was this virus would have caused deaths and the response would have been a lockdown at some point that caused the economy to tank. Where the debate is legitimate and yet will likely be difficult to ever be conclusive is how various decision points between this past fall and now could have affected where we are at now. Would or could a different president have locked down sooner and would the states have followed? Would a different president have maintained that locked down longer and once again would all the states have followed? Would a different president's decisions have caused more damage to the economy and following recovery? These are all legitimate questions and I think both "sides" of the aisle need to recognize are all speculation in the end, not to mention are largely slanted towards who you support. It is useful I think still to take lessons from these past few months on the good and the bad to be better prepared in the future. Sadly public health (like many preventative measures) often takes its biggest steps in reaction to a crisis instead of prior to such a crisis. I wish in general that most people would understand that most public health professionals do not have a political agenda even though they are often thrust into the political fray where they are not comfortable because data seems to get pushed to the background. Public health decisions should ideally be based on the best data available and free of political considerations, but I think we all know that such ideals are a pipe dream, especially when the data is so inconsistent and fragmented across communites and even states. Anyway, there's my two cents for tonight.

You do realize that there are several examples where other countries and their leaders handled this situation better than we did right? It seems like a common trait of the countries have handled this well are: taking this virus serious early, massively testing and controlling early, encouraging masks. Trump failed early and continues this fight by ignoring science and data and going with his gut. I can't say for sure if Hillary or Biden would have done better, hind sight is 20/20. But damn it's hard to imagine a worse response.

You do realize that there are several examples where other countries and their leaders handled this situation better than we did right? It seems like a common trait of the countries have handled this well are: taking this virus serious early, massively testing and controlling early, encouraging masks. Trump failed early and continues this fight by ignoring science and data and going with his gut. I can't say for sure if Hillary or Biden would have done better, hind sight is 20/20. But damn it's hard to imagine a worse response.
There are also other countries where the outcomes are worse. And while Trump has arguably encouraged skepticism of science and data through things he’s tweeted and said off the cuff, his administration’s response has been led by responsible scientists who follow the data. Basically, I think his leadership has been poor, but the policy hasn’t really been bad because the actually responsible people are the ones like Fauci, Birx, and Pence.

The biggest failures in my opinion have been not having a clear national strategy on things like testing, masking, and social distancing; the CDC screwing up the development of the initial test; not realizing the regulatory obstacles to private companies and health system developing their own tests; and the apparent absence of the CDC as a central source for clear data.

The CDC’s reputation will take a huge hit after all of this, not only because of screwing up the testing, but also because they’ve done very little to combat all the confusing information that’s out there. That may be slightly unfair since this is a novel virus, but the confusion people are experiencing from all the different sources of information (sometimes saying contradictory things) has really hurt the trust in our public health and medical community as a whole. Of course, it doesn’t help that Trump sometimes undermines them with the random stuff he says.

Reactions: CUFam98
Oh look, here is another person who feels that the pandemic was an opportunity for Trump...and he did not capitalize on it. He must be a hardcore liberal and never-Trumper, right?

“I thought when the virus broke out and the economy fell apart, it gave Trump an opportunity to step up and show what kind of leader he could be, but he certainly did not do it well,” says Ed Rollins, chair of the Pro-Trump Great America PAC and former national campaign director for President Ronald Reagan’s successful 1984 campaign.

I hate this board so much. If it wasn’t for Larry and Paul I would have unsubscribed a long time ago. It is a right-wing circle jerk and a monument to intellectual incuriosity

But if it was a left-wing circle jerk you would be OK with it and love this board.

Clemson is in the Deep South . It’s always going to be right wing and conservative. You might as well accept it.

Shutting down two week earlier even. Mandating masks be worn which would have allowed us to reopen and keep the curve flat.
Two weeks earlier - that is hindsight analysis. Why not 4 weeks? That is an arbitrary timeframe. We would have just been saying wait 2 weeks a little earlier.

As for the masks. I wear my mask in public. But I have heard so many different responses to a mandatory mask guidance that That is not the answer for the entire country. Encouraging masks earlier, would be a good change and could have done some good. But the masks were only necessary once the public areas and restaurants and shopping started opening back up. Trump should have encouraged them and then governors and mayors should have made the mandatory for their areas where needed. Some are now doing it. But is that really all you have? Just my opinion. Using hindsight and all.

1. Each country is is different. You cannot apply what Norway did to what we should do in America. the fact that you dont think Trump, or Falci, or Brix, or Pence or whoever is on the taskforce looked at good practices from other conutries and considered them is comical. Yes, you or someone else will make a joke about "you know what is comical...." Like it or not, the American economy drives a lot around the world. And yes, there were probably some unfortunate deaths due to trying to manage the economy.
2. I don't know that Trump did not take the virus serious. He definitely had things working against him early, from CHina not even allowing the WHO in country, the WHO doing who knows what, Dems complaining when he did shut off travel from CHina etc. Publicly, he downplayed it. Maybe he should have scared the hell out of everyone, and then we could have watched a completely different MSM response.
3. There were no tests early, those had to be developed and mass produced. I don't know if that could have been done faster or not. I will wait for Falci's book in 2 years. Assuming he cashes in on how mean Trump was to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT