ADVERTISEMENT

Official NCAA Tourney "Bubble" Thread

brohead

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Sylva, NC
Disclaimer... If you're apathetic towards Tigers Hoops, hopefully you've avoided this thread... If you've already determined that the Tigers have no chance of gaining an invite, hopefully you've avoided this thread... If your only mission is to bash the program/coach here's to hoping you can show a modicum of maturity and restraint... In other words, this thread is simply about posting relevant bubble discussion over the stretch run given that our Tigers are likely one of 12-16 teams jockeying for perhaps the final 8-10 spots in the field.

The setup per Lunardi's updated Bracketology posted this a.m. (3/1/19):

Last 4 Byes: UCF, TCU, Alabama, Minnesota
Last 4 In: Arizona St., Seton Hall, Clemson, Utah St.
First 4 Out: Saint Mary's, Temple, Dayton, Butler
Next 4 Out: Furman, San Francisco, Murray St., Georgetown

Last Night's relevant action:

Minnesota avoided a "bad loss" by taking care of business at Northwestern. The Gophers close with two great opportunities to enhance their standing (Purdue - NET Ranking of 12th, and @ Maryland - NET Ranking of 26th).... Winning one is almost required... Dropping both puts them at 8-12 in the B1G, and would likely require a deep run in the conference tourney. NET Ranking prior to last night's win was 60th.

St. Johns is currently down to an 11 Seed this a.m. after a loss at home to Xavier. NET Ranking prior to that game was 49th, however it will drop... Johnnies have three really nice wins (sweep of Marquette and win over Villanova), but has a small margin for error... They will need to avoid a terrible loss at Depaul (already dropped the home game vs. them, so being swept by the leagues worst team could be a death nail), and close the year by traveling to Xavier.

Arizona St. suffered a terrible 28 point loss at Oregon. Sun Devils NET Ranking prior to that was 63rd....Ouch... As I said in another thread, they likely need to win both remaining games to avoid putting them in a position of having to either win the Pac 12 Tourney or at least advance to the Championship Game... They close by traveling to Oregon St. and Arizona. They narrowly beat both teams at home, and will likely be a small lined dog in both...

Furman avoided being swept by Samford with their 9 point road win.... Paladins have a solid NET ranking (47th going into last night). They obviously need to avoid a loss to close the season @ Chattanooga... I see two paths to the Dance... Win the SOCON Tourney or advance to the championship and lose a close hard fought game vs. Wofford...

Murray State took care of Morehead St. They have a solid NET Ranking (55th going into last night). One thing working in their favor is that they have a lottery pick in Morant who will obviously draw eyes for March Madness.. However not much else screams at-large... My opinion is that their only shot for an at-large berth is by losing a close hard fought game in their conference championship vs. Belmont.... And even that may not be enough.

Saint Mary's took care of Portland... Really nice NET Ranking entering that game (39th), which is difficult to understand the rationale for when looking at their resume.. Huge opportunity to close the season by hosting Gonzaga... A win there might be enough to get them in regardless of their tourney results... Lose that game as expected and I'm just not sure I can find any reason they get an invite short of becoming an automatic qualifier...

Let's keep this thread bumped for relevant bubble discussion here over the final week of the season... I still maintain that we are EASILY a tournament team, but those three gut punches have put us into a precarious scenario... Let's get in and do some damage!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News